Readwit
Topic Author

Alpha Feedback - Rewards and Virtues

Fri 02 Jul 2021, 13:09

Hello,

First up, I'd like to say that in general the 2e Alpha looks really great, and I can't wait for the finished product to drop!

I'd also like to say that this isn't really a complaint or anything like that - the new Reward and Virtue structure seems to work very well and if it doesn't change at all I'd still be happy with it.

That said, with all cultures now choosing from the same set of starting Rewards and Virtues, it could be worth increasing the range of choices up from six so that starting characters are a little less likely to be homogenous. I don't think it'd take up too much page space, either.

As Cultural Rewards are gone now it could work well to use them as a basis for additional standard Rewards, e.g:

- Enemy Protection Rolls are Ill-favoured if you get a Gandalf Rune on your attack.
- +3 Parry against Ranged Attacks (Great Shield Only)
- Attack rolls with this weapon are Inspired
- Protection rolls with this armour are Inspired
- Attack rolls against creatures with at least 2 Might are Favoured with this weapon.
- Reduce Resistance by 2 in Councils (Armour)
- One extra Success Icon to spend on attack rolls with this weapon as long as you got one Success Icon on your roll.
- Item also counts as an additional Useful Item to a skill of your choice.
- Apply this Shield's Parry Bonus even if using a Two Handed weapon (Buckler or Shield).

As for Vitues, I feel that it might be best to allow players access to Cultural Virtues straight off the bat. I'm not really sure what the reason is for gating them behind 2 Wisdom as they seem to be more or less in line with standard Virtues power-wise. Another option (as suggested by someone over on the Discord channel) would be to create Virtues based on Patron bonuses that use Hope rather than Fellowship to activate.