morganhua
Topic Author

Alpha feedback - Broken Spells

Thu 01 Jul 2021, 19:03

I like how it's more generic, allowing more skills to be a Broken Spell, but I think examples need to be added to put flavor back in.

For instance:

AWARENESS: (1st Ed - Spells of Prohibition & Exclusion). "You carve signs on a rock or on the bark of a tree within the perimeter of your camp, and their power will wake you at the first sign of danger. Carve the runes and go to sleep. You will immediately awaken if any threatening presence approaches." Cost 1 Hope if you have to roll an Awareness check and you will automatically succeed.

CRAFT: You know how to place runes on your crafting tools to allow you to make exquisite objects. Cost 1 Hope to activate the runes and you will automatically succeed on your Craft check.

jthurn

Re: Alpha feedback - Broken Spells

Fri 02 Jul 2021, 00:29

I see what you mean. Overall 2E puts the responsibility for flavour more on players and GMs. "Here's your new playground. Go nuts!"

William

Re: Alpha feedback - Broken Spells

Fri 23 Jul 2021, 01:14

I have to respectfully disagree!

I believe that magic in Middle-Earth rarely should be explicitly shown or defined. The magic of dwarves (and elves, hobbits etc.) often works in the background. It's a subtle thing, slowly fading from the world in the twilight years of the third age. The magical properties dwarves imbues in their craft is never explained. It's simply a quality of dwarven artisanship. The vague descriptions of virtues like "Broken Spells" actually inspires me to use magic as something shown "off camera" (that's also why I love the concept of Magical Successes - it gives players and Loremasters opportunities to use subtle magic without explanations or stats).

‘Are these magic cloaks?’ asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder. ‘I do not know what you mean by that,’ answered the leader of the Elves. ‘They are fair garments, and the web is good, for it was made in this land. They are Elvish robes certainly, if that is what you mean.