HunterGreen

Re: Alpha Feedback - Core Rulebook Chapter 2 Action Resolution

Mon 05 Jul 2021, 14:12

p24 of pdf includes a reference to Holdings that looks like it is leftover from a previous draft of the rules.

"TREASURY AND HOLDINGS: Heroes gain Treasure when they gain possession of materials and items of uncommon worth, like silver, gold, and precious gems. Representing a wealth much
beyond the ordinary, players may invest their Treasure when they are not actively adventuring. The Treasury space on the character sheet is used to record any Treasure points found by a Player-hero; The Holdings box is used in conjunction with the rules for improving one’s Standard of Living." - my emphasis, Holdings don't show up in the rules later.
Some of us suspect they will be appearing in chapter 9 or 10.
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

Niallism

Tue 06 Jul 2021, 16:37

Page 16 Section 5 "Scenes in Brief" Numeral 3
"The Loremaster evaluates the plan of the players and adjudicates whether to just say ["]yes["] and grant[*s] them what they want to achieve or ask[*s] for a die roll."
Remove the comma after "players."
Change the apostrophes surrounding "say yes" to quotation marks only around the word "yes."
If you keep the sentence structure as it is, add an "s" after "grant" and "ask." The first half of the sentence uses the transitive verb forms: "evaluates" and "adjudicates." The rest of the sentence should conform by becoming "grants" and "asks."

Consider rephrasing, making parenthetical statements for both options, and adding a third option:
"The Loremaster evaluates the plan of the players and adjudicates whether to just say "yes" (granting them what they want), ask for a die roll (letting chance decide their fate), or refuse their request (if the action is outside the realm of possibilities)."

I'm sorry, but many of your 'corrections' in this thread are either subjective opinions or, as in this case, entirely incorrect. As a professional editor, it's quite troubling to see mistakes so confidently made.

For example, the transitivity of those two verbs is irrelevant, and English doesn't have differing verb forms for transitive verbs. In the second clause, it's normal to use the plain form - or bare infinitive - of the verb, as they are actually the infinitives 'to grant' and 'to ask' with the 'to' elided. No 's' is needed.

I wouldn't expect any native speaker to make that mistake, even though most people would be unable to explain the syntax.

Grandpoobah

Tue 06 Jul 2021, 16:58

"The Loremaster evaluates the plan of the players and adjudicates whether to just say ["]yes["] and grant[*s] them what they want to achieve or ask[*s] for a die roll."
Change the apostrophes surrounding "say yes" to quotation marks only around the word "yes."
If you keep the sentence structure as it is, add an "s" after "grant" and "ask." The first half of the sentence uses the transitive verb forms: "evaluates" and "adjudicates." The rest of the sentence should conform by becoming "grants" and "asks."

Consider rephrasing, making parenthetical statements for both options, and adding a third option:
"The Loremaster evaluates the plan of the players and adjudicates whether to just say "yes" (granting them what they want), ask for a die roll (letting chance decide their fate), or refuse their request (if the action is outside the realm of possibilities)."

I'm sorry, but many of your 'corrections' in this thread are either subjective opinions or, as in this case, entirely incorrect. As a professional editor, it's quite troubling to see mistakes so confidently made.

For example, the transitivity of those two verbs is irrelevant, and English doesn't have differing verb forms for transitive verbs. In the second clause, it's normal to use the plain form - or bare infinitive - of the verb, as they are actually the infinitives 'to grant' and 'to ask' with the 'to' elided. No 's' is needed.

I wouldn't expect any native speaker to make that mistake, even though most people would be unable to explain the syntax.
I didn't like it either, which is why I supplemented the complete rephrasing at the end of my recommendation. They asked for our opinions. I'm giving my opinions.
They asked us not to discuss it here. viewtopic.php?f=129&t=7938&start=30#p59238 If you would like to start a discussion thread, feel free.

Fenhorn

Tue 06 Jul 2021, 17:13

From Tomas first post about what kind of feedback they want in this thread.

Hello!
Please use this thread to report any typos or errors in Chapter 2 - Action Resolution in the Alpha PDF of The One Ring core rulebook. Guidelines to remember:
  • Before reporting an error, please check and see if it already has been reported, and if so, don't report it again.
  • If you want to discuss or feedback something that is not a clear error, don't do it here - instead, please start a new forum post the specific issue.
  • Please report your feedback no later than July 20. After this date, we are unlikely to be able to make any further changes.
Thank you!

This doesn't mean that everything is carved in stone, sure this is an alpha and they can change things and even small changes can make huge differences sometimes (Even the smallest ...), but in this thread they like typos and errors. They do lurk (and some of them even post) here and see what you are discussing (in other threads than this).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Niallism

Wed 07 Jul 2021, 05:41

I didn't like it either, which is why I supplemented the complete rephrasing at the end of my recommendation. They asked for our opinions. I'm giving my opinions.
They asked us not to discuss it here. viewtopic.php?f=129&t=7938&start=30#p59238 If you would like to start a discussion thread, feel free.
This isn't really an opinion sort of thing. It's just incorrect. But if you don't believe me, I guess that's all I can say.

Fenhorn

Wed 07 Jul 2021, 05:53

Moderator Message: Return to the topic of this thread (Original Post) before I am forced to do something else than posting nice friendly warnings. And that means all of you.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

ErikSonOfEliah

Thu 08 Jul 2021, 19:39

Pg. 17 under "Which Ability":
- "Skill Rolls" is capitalized at first, but the "r" is lower-case later on when it says, "By far the most common type of actions, Skill rolls are required..."

Pg. 18 under "Example":
- "skill" is not capitalized after "Awareness," but it is capitalized after "Strength."

baldrick0712

Fri 09 Jul 2021, 14:33

p17 "How to Read the Feat Dice"...

Clarification needed about applying modifiers to a Feat Die result. Can you reach the Gandalf rune result (highest possible result) through applying positive modifiers? Can you reach the Eye of Sauron (lowest possible result) through applying negative modifiers? Example: Adding +2 using the Pierce Special Damage option when the result on the Feat die is 9. Does it become 10 or the Gandalf Rune?

Narl

Sat 10 Jul 2021, 01:45

Page 22 Wounded
It says see page 101 for recovering Endurance more slowly. Page 101 refers to page 22. This is a circular reference and neither has the rules for recovering Endurance more slowly when wounded.

Asrath

Sat 10 Jul 2021, 15:35

Page 21, continued paragraph "Support" from page 20:
A Player-hero may support another only if the circumstances allow it, and only the supporting hero possesses at least one rank in an appropriate Skill. Whether a Skill is deemed appropriate to the supporting action is up to the Loremaster. Only one Player-hero can spend Hope to support the active Player-hero.
I read it this way: the supporting character does not need to roll to support his/her companion. Only a least one rank in an appropriate skill and a point of Hope is necessary. If my assumption is true, it could be added to the above quote:
A Player-hero may support another only if the circumstances allow it, and only if the supporting hero possesses at least one rank in an appropriate Skill. No roll is necessary from the supporting Player-hero. Whether a Skill is deemed appropriate to the supporting action is up to the Loremaster. Only one Player-hero can spend Hope to support the active Player-hero.