coniunctio

Re: Where to purchase the 1st edition books.

Thu 25 Feb 2021, 20:53

I just checked boardgamegeek website under the RPG pages.

Currently a copy of The Darkening of Mirkwood being sold for 50 euros in Germany. Not clear if it's in German or not. The option to email the seller directly is available.

Thranduil's Elk

Tue 02 Mar 2021, 20:53

Just scored Erebor, Horse Lords of Rohan, and Tales From Wilderland at decent prices from Noble Knight. So there is some 1e material still floating around the secondary market.
Not all who wander are lost....

Otaku-sempai

Wed 03 Mar 2021, 00:12

Now that the kickstarter is winding down and we have a pretty good idea about the contents of the Core Rules and the Starter Set, I'm ready to list my hopes and expectations. For the Core Rules: I expect that we will get a decent overview of Western Eriador, the Blue Mountains and the Grey Havens (if not the rest of Lindon and maybe Enedhwaith). I also expect that it will add the Heroic Culture of the Elves of the Grey Havens/Lindon and provide some notes concerning the Men of Eryn Vorn. I hope we will also get some notes on the Ice Bay of Forochel and the Lossoth as well as such regions as the Hills of Evendim, Lake Nenuial, the Tower Hills and East Lune. Something could be said about such sites as the Grey Havens, the Halls of the Dwarves (including the Halls of Thorin Oakenshield?), the Mines of the Dwarves, Annúminas, Fornost and the ruins of Lond Daer.

The Starter Set already sounds like it will have virtually everything we could want to know about the Shire and Buckland including looks at sites of interest and prominent NPCs.

If we don't have much in the Core Rules about either Lindon or Forochel then I hope that both are expanded upon in some future supplement. Enedhwaith might have to wait for the eventual region guide for Gondor, though some of that was covered in C7's The Horse-lords of Rohan.

I"m hoping that we don't have to go through another kickstarter for the Moria supplement, though if that's what it takes to have it include content for both TOR and AiMe then so be it. Other future supplements that I would really like to see iclude: Lothlórien, Dorwinion (with notes on East Rhovanion), Mordor (notes on Khand?) and Umbar. I think that there could be a colony of Dwarves near the Sea of Rhûn or East-elves in the woods east of Dorwinion.
#FideltyToTolkien

TheGreyPilgrim

Wed 03 Mar 2021, 00:17

Just scored Erebor, Horse Lords of Rohan, and Tales From Wilderland at decent prices from Noble Knight. So there is some 1e material still floating around the secondary market.
What version of Tales was it? There's a lot of softcover versions floating around out there.

Thranduil's Elk

Wed 03 Mar 2021, 02:35

Yeah, looks like it's the softcover 2012 printing, 160 pages. The other two books are hardcover. They briefly had Ruins of the North too, but someone else snatched it up before I checked my messages. So, as far as I can tell, they had 4 TOR 1e books for sale that sold in under 2 hours, since the notice came through when I was in a meeting at work. Strike when the iron's hot, people!

TheGreyPilgrim

Wed 03 Mar 2021, 10:42

Make sure you track down the PDF with the revisions for the softcover TfW, since it's the unrevised version.

taythorian
Topic Author

Wed 03 Mar 2021, 15:22

Yeah, looks like it's the softcover 2012 printing, 160 pages. The other two books are hardcover. They briefly had Ruins of the North too, but someone else snatched it up before I checked my messages. So, as far as I can tell, they had 4 TOR 1e books for sale that sold in under 2 hours, since the notice came through when I was in a meeting at work. Strike when the iron's hot, people!
That may have been me.

I managed to grab Adventurers Companion, Bree and Ruins of the North the minute they appeared in my email.

Thranduil's Elk

Wed 03 Mar 2021, 15:50

Nice; I had already had Bree, which I'm currently reading. Not especially interested in the AC. I will keep looking for Ruins and a couple others. So far I'm enjoying the feel of the 1e stuff and if conversion is as easy as they imply it will be, having a number of the 1e books will greatly expand potential adventure scopes early on.

Byrax

Wed 03 Mar 2021, 16:54

I assume 2ed versions of the 1ed stuff are forthcoming later on.

Falenthal

Wed 03 Mar 2021, 17:00

I assume 2ed versions of the 1ed stuff are forthcoming later on.
No, the publisher is a different one and they don't have the rights to publish again the older material. They'll have to do their own, even for regions covered by the 1st edition.
So, whatever was written for 1st edition won't see a 2nd edition conversion or similar.