taythorian
Topic Author

Where to purchase the 1st edition books.

Sat 13 Feb 2021, 17:00

Hi all

Just getting into this. Fully backed it on KS.

Is there any way other than Ebay to get hold of the 1st edition books.

Also, is there any way of purchasing 1st Edition PDF's.

Many thanks.

Thranduil's Elk

Re: Where to purchase the 1st edition books.

Sat 13 Feb 2021, 17:18

Not sure where you live or if you have a local game store, but mine still has a few random 1st edition books including several from AiME. You likely can't get everything that way but you could maybe grab a few things that won't be jacked up in price as much as some (though not all) of those books on ebay or some of the other online sites. Noble Knight, for example, has crazy prices on some of their 1e material.
Not all who wander are lost....

Otaku-sempai

Sat 13 Feb 2021, 17:47

If you check with third-party sellers on Amazon you might find used copies of the books and supplements at reasonable prices -- maybe. But, yeah, check with any local game stores in your area too.
#FideltyToTolkien

TheGreyPilgrim

Sat 13 Feb 2021, 19:04

Hi all

Just getting into this. Fully backed it on KS.

Is there any way other than Ebay to get hold of the 1st edition books.

Also, is there any way of purchasing 1st Edition PDF's.

Many thanks.

Hey there! I'm actually looking to sell a spare copy of the hardcover revised Tales from Wilderland adventure book (that means it's updated to the optimal revised version of TOR). If you're interested, send me a message and we can discuss details.

Thranduil's Elk

Sun 14 Feb 2021, 03:29

Incidentally, I just snagged mint copies of Rivendell and Heart of the Wild from Noble Knight and since I had a credit, both books cost me under $35 together. So deals can still be found. I hadn't really planned on buying 1e stuff and don't really intend to collect all of it but I'm so jacked by this kickstarter that I decided to grab things I found at reasonable prices to hold me over until (hopefully) November. Also re-reading my Tolkien books, in the midst of Morgoth's Ring right now.

gyrovague

Sun 14 Feb 2021, 05:24

Anybody looking to collect 1e stuff should really try to get their hands on Darkening of Mirkwood. It's one of the greatest RPG supplements of all time.

coniunctio

Mon 15 Feb 2021, 18:03

If you haven't already done so then try the Boardgamegeek RPG site. Sometimes there is a list of folk selling their games/books.

Thranduil's Elk

Mon 15 Feb 2021, 18:45

Over the weekend I scored Rivendell, Bree, Heart of the Wild, and the Laketown Loremaster's Screen pack at decent prices between Amazon and Noble Knight. Other stuff was more than I was willing to pay. I suspect prices might continue going up on the 1e stuff, but who knows? Maybe they'll go down as people just wait for 2e. At least I have stuff to tide me over a few months.

taythorian
Topic Author

Mon 15 Feb 2021, 23:52

I managed to pick up,

Horse Lords, Erebor, Heart of the Wild, Rivendell and the Loremasters Screen all for reasonable prices.

Looking forward to reading through them.

Thranduil's Elk

Thu 25 Feb 2021, 17:15

My 1e books finally arrived the past few days and I must say I'm quite impressed by how different TOR feels from other games like D&D even just from reading the supplements without fully knowing the rules. I can see where they made real efforts to immerse the players in the lore and fabric of Middle Earth and though I'm a bit wary of what seems like more rolling than what's needed if you have good roleplayers, I think I can work with that. And it sounds like some of this might be streamlined for 2e anyhow.

As I mentioned earlier, I had checked out AiME at one point, but found it rather lacking as it seemed like the shoehorning of the TOR rules onto the hot garbage that is 5e D&D was just not the best fit. Now I'm bumming that I missed out on so much with TOR, but happy that I got in on the ground level with 2e. Very much looking forward to introducing my group to this game.