bveld
Topic Author

New art revealed

Tue 03 Nov 2020, 19:31

Hi all, so what do you guys think of the new art just revealed for TOR 2e?

https://www.dicebreaker.com/amp/series/ ... ue-details

They are looking very good in my opinion...

Ferretz

Re: New art revealed

Tue 03 Nov 2020, 19:35

I generally like the style, but I'm not at all happy with black and white interiors. :|
I do believe that this game will be great, though.

-Eirik

bveld
Topic Author

Tue 03 Nov 2020, 19:42

What does this mean exactly "black and white interiors"? All the art inside will be black and white or only some of them like in the first edition?

Jacob Rodgers

Tue 03 Nov 2020, 23:24

You'll notice that lots of RPG products have a mix of colour and black & white for interiors. For example, a full colour spread to introduce a chapter (much like the sample art with the three Hobbits that shows the layout in the new article) and then pen or pencil sketches to fill in smaller spaces. For myself personally, I alway enjoy pencil sketches, I find it's easier to interject my own visions of Middle-earth into a pencil sketch, but that may just be the old grognard talking. :)

Rymdhamster

Wed 04 Nov 2020, 00:15

Reminds me a bit of the old rotoscoped movie.

To me, that's a good thing =)
Planning on testing Star Ctizien?

Referral code STAR-WVBX-F6QB gives you 5000 extra space bucks to start with (and me a chance of getting a new ship).

AprendizdeBrujo

Wed 04 Nov 2020, 00:26

I have to say that I'm not too excited with the art. I'm in love with the first edition artstyle and I'd like the new art to look a little bit more like what we saw on the first edition or in Vaesen.

Carcharoth

Wed 04 Nov 2020, 00:47

I love the 1st edition art style, but this looks good too. I'm super excited about the starter set!
"Of all the terrors that came ever into Beleriand ere Angband’s fall the madness of Carcharoth was the most dreadful; for the power of the Silmaril was hidden within him."
- The Silmarillion

Falenthal

Wed 04 Nov 2020, 01:02

While the idea itself that there will be no colour art during the chapters isn't to my liking, I want to wait and see before doing any judgment. First of all, I love sketches more than finished artwork. Probably it's the same reason I love Martin Grip's style or Jon Hodgson's sceneries: they do provoke and inspire more than they show. If that b/w art is of good quality (and Fria Ligan has proven once and again that they know how to do art), then it might be perfectly fine for me.
I just hope that Grip does more than just the covers, as his take on ruins and eerie places (as shown in Symbaroum) are breathtaking.
Last edited by Falenthal on Wed 04 Nov 2020, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

Otaku-sempai

Wed 04 Nov 2020, 05:27

I'm interested in learning whether the Moria set is still intended to be compatible both with TOR and the 5E conversion (AiMe or whatever it ends up being called).
#FideltyToTolkien

Vader

Wed 04 Nov 2020, 12:06

In my opinion, Martin Grip's illustration style is perfect for the style and atmosphere of ALIEN. To me however, it does fall rather short of what I expect Middle Earth illustrations to be — expectations, admittedly, largely set by artists like Alan Lee and John Howe.

Certainly, for the depths of Mirkwood and Dol Guldur, Grip is undoubtedly fantastic ... but I have difficulty reconciling this style with the crisp grandeur of places like Minas Tirith or Khazad-Dûm ... even Moria, in its dilapidated state.

I am not a fan, alas.
[i]Before[/i] clicking that response button — [i]are you sure you actually [b]read[/b] it?[/i]

...[i]and[/i] checked if something more was posted after it? ;)