gyrovague

Re: Discussion of Shadow and Corruption

Fri 18 Sep 2020, 21:03

In such a highly difficult situation (that probably he has to solve by himself, without help), a real hero should be willing to spend as many Hope points as necessary to succeed. Spending so many Hope points would be similar to having that "super-ability" in effect, but not in cost to the hero, who should sacrifice something for his attonement.
Hmm. I think that's thematic, but I worry that it would feel like "punishment" to the players. After all, they lose control of their character during the Bout, so to ask them to burn all their Hope points to atone for whatever the LM made them do seems...unfair.

What I was going for is trying to make Bouts less "bad" (from the gamist perspective) by having some bad (permanent Shadow point...or however the new mechanic works) and some "good".

Falenthal

Fri 18 Sep 2020, 21:21

Yes, it's right that it woud be a double punishment. What I'm not so sure is that there should be a positive part to having a bout of madness. But I get that you are aiming at a "positive side" regarding gaming coolness for the player, not specifically good from a mechanic or super-heroic point of view.
The Core book; IIRC, already talks about the possibility of doing some effort to redeem yourself, so that less Shadow points can be gained (or something along these lines). It would be difficult to adress straight rules to cover all grounds regarding this.

...although it made me think that rules for Oaths could come handy here. Imagine that performing an Oath could grant the hero extra Hope points to fulfill it, for example (at the cost of gaining SP while not acting towards it). So, after a Bout of Madness, the hero could opt to swear an Oath defined by himself, targeted at addressing his shameful acts. It would put an option in his hands, although the whole table should agree if the proposed Oath is enough for his redemption, with the LM's veto. Those extra Hope points could only be used to succeed at his Oath, and would be lost once accomplished/failed.

Falenthal

Fri 18 Sep 2020, 21:21

Isn't there a House-rule subforum still? :lol:

Otaku-sempai

Fri 18 Sep 2020, 22:39

Not yet, though I have lobbied for one!
#FideltyToTolkien

Fenhorn

Fri 18 Sep 2020, 22:52

Not yet, though I have lobbied for one!
The admins will create new forum categories and sub-categories when we get closer to the new edition. What categories there will be beyond the standard two (general and GM only) I don't know. They have seen this request though.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Valarian

Sun 11 Oct 2020, 15:54

Having run games for a number of years, i think the hope/shadow mechanic works well. Bouts of madness are rare if players are careful in their use of hope during adventuring phases and spend fellowship phases reducing the effects of shadow on their characters' souls.

One note. The accumulation of shadow shouldn't be seen as punishment for the character. Yes, misdeeds of the character accumulate shadow, but mostly shadow gain is the effect of seeing too much (anguish) and visiting the dark places of the world. It's the cost of going out to face the darkness, rather than staying near the safety of home.

gyrovague

Wed 14 Oct 2020, 22:18

Having run games for a number of years, i think the hope/shadow mechanic works well. Bouts of madness are rare if players are careful in their use of hope during adventuring phases and spend fellowship phases reducing the effects of shadow on their characters' souls.

One note. The accumulation of shadow shouldn't be seen as punishment for the character. Yes, misdeeds of the character accumulate shadow, but mostly shadow gain is the effect of seeing too much (anguish) and visiting the dark places of the world. It's the cost of going out to face the darkness, rather than staying near the safety of home.
I probably shouldn't have used the word punishment, in this context, even in quotes. In any event, I was referring not the accumulation of Shadow, but to a hypothesized new mechanic that would allow players to atone for actions taken while under a bout of madness. And I was trying to make the point that if such a mechanic required the player to burn through their Hope points, then it's a pure cost, which feels like it has very little upside. It's "Oh, great; I suffered a bout of madness and now I have to spend all my Hope points" vs. "Well, I suffered a bout of madness, but now I have an opportunity to do something cool and new."