Falenthal

Re: TOR 2E tactical options?

Wed 22 Jul 2020, 21:49

This is great, thanks Falenthal! I think you have convinced me to go back to giving TOR a shot with my little boys! Actually think this might increase the narrative instead of spending time trying to figure out who can move where and when on a grid etc...exciting to try this system out.
Wow, great to have you motivated to go back to TOR!

I'm sure you all will have a good time, just don't be bogged by rules and mechanics when playing with little boys. Just let them tell you what they want to do, and let them do it... and scream "Hooray!" with them a lot!

Saxon1974
Topic Author

Wed 22 Jul 2020, 22:13

This is great, thanks Falenthal! I think you have convinced me to go back to giving TOR a shot with my little boys! Actually think this might increase the narrative instead of spending time trying to figure out who can move where and when on a grid etc...exciting to try this system out.
Wow, great to have you motivated to go back to TOR!

I'm sure you all will have a good time, just don't be bogged by rules and mechanics when playing with little boys. Just let them tell you what they want to do, and let them do it... and scream "Hooray!" with them a lot!
Yea that mostly what I do even using the D&D system. They learn eventually by me helping them do things and I let them use any rules as they want to or not. I just have a desire to run this system over the AIME one so I can run things and let them decide actions and slowly introduce basic stuff. To be honest, the openness of this system might work better for them anyway as they come up with lots of crazy ideas and at times the rigid tactical rules tend to slow us down (when I enforce them) so we will see how this goes. I will post some updates on how it went. I am not sure they are going to enjoy the journey part of the game so I will have to try and make sure it is done in a narrative way and not just fatigue dice rolls (which is really how it should be anyway). They tend to like to see terrain on the table though so will see how it goes but your ideas and examples have made it clear to me how I can go about still using terrain. Love the thought of always using the terrain to allow some type of ability use and advantage\disadvantage. While I love playing D&D often the basic encounters where the fighter just swings, swings, swings each round can get dull.

Cheers!!

Byrax

Sun 21 Nov 2021, 10:00

Thread necro: I am intending to use Jon Hodgsons/Handiworks map tile for ToR. https://handiwork.games/games/jon-hodgson-map-tiles
Not going to go tactical, so I think I might order the ungridded ones. They all look nice and def fitting for the setting. Might use some meeples to represent heroes and villains. Just to keep a rough sketch of where opponents are, rear zone etc.

Any experience of the maps above?

Dunheved

Sun 21 Nov 2021, 13:08

@byrax.
I have the map tiles, and spent DAYS deciding on going gridded or ungridded.
In the end I went gridded because both son and stepson are D and D / Pathfinder folk. (I even went to get the Sci Fi tiles as stepson is an Alien/Predator gamer too and the linking tiles allow you to expand this into natural terrain. )

However, I don't find the gridlines too intrusive and use the tiles to construct things like forest clearings etc.
For example, the mountain tunnel tile set is enough to build the entire goblin cave in the story Of Leaves and Stewed Hobbit in the Tales from Wilderland sourcebook. Then it is great for deciding line of sight, echoes, placing the goblins, choosing terrain for battle advantages, and so on.

You have reminded me to design the elf gate forest clearing for a game I am LM for, thanks, Great timing.
Good luck. You have got a superb resource there.

Byrax

Sun 21 Nov 2021, 17:20

Thanks Dunheved! They sure look nice and useful! Dungeon tiles will most surely be helpful for Moria as well.