Otaku-sempai

Re: The One Ring

Tue 29 Sep 2020, 02:51

Do I remember correctly that Francesco mentioned something about covering the North of Eriador?
Well, the ruins of Arnor should cover much of that, though are you wondering if we will get at least a few notes on Forochel and the Lossoth? I've tried my hand at making the Lossoth a playable Culture myself, but I can't vouch for the results.
#FideltyToTolkien

Voronwe

Tue 29 Sep 2020, 22:38

It's about time that Mithlond got some love.
I know, I'm excited!
Same here! Drool...

Eager for Mithlond visited combined with the Elves of the Grey Havens as a playable culture from the beginning.

The idea of developing these two peaceful havens (Mithlond + Rivendell) in a booklet with LM Screen sounds great! They can thus see the light soon without worrying about generating a full book with adventures around them (Rivendell nearby surroundings are still dangerous, but Mithlond ones are not, one would say).

Voronwe

Tue 29 Sep 2020, 22:47

Sounds all pretty good! I'm looking forward for a Tharbad adventure book (it's strange - I've never even played ICE's "Thieves of Tharbad", but for some reason, the city is etched in my hand as one of those great places of adventure ...); I'm also curious about the "Lidless Eye" book, although I can't quite imagine yet how they're going to pull it off. I don't really see a problem with "evil men", but orcs ...?
I'm also quite happy to see favoured attributes go. They were always more a complication to me than anything else.
I played long ago a wonderful ICE’s Tharbad campaign with my closest friends... it’s still nowadays impossible for us to say “Tharbad” without a big nostalgic smile on our faces...

Voronwe

Tue 29 Sep 2020, 22:49

Some other info I didn't remember at the time of writing:

-Maps will be done by Francesco Mattioli. Check out his maps online, they are a beauty to the eye.
-There's the intention to release resources for VTT. As the license forbids to release "electronic games", it seems that whatever Fria Ligan releases for TOR has to be free and non-profit.
-The core book will include Magical Treasures, but not rules for horses and riding, for example. They've dismissed the "enciclopedic approach" of including everything in one massive book, and prefer (as before) to put the rules where it makes sense. Therefore, a sort of Companion will be released soon with a compilation of all Cultures adapted to 2nd edition.
-There's a draft-project named "The Lidless Eye" which allows to play evil cultures like orcs. Part of the license includes that the products released have to remain respectful of the themes and message of Tolkien's works. That means, probably, no sadistic or grim dark fantasy approach to Middle-earth. But we know that Tolkien also felt empathic to the orcs and southrons in some passages (Sam looking at the corpse of a Haradrim and wondering what he left behind in his hometown, or the discussion in Minas Morgul between uruk captains about how they'd like to retire once the war was finally over). So, that could be an acceptable approach to the theme.
And thanks again for all the info, Falenthal.

ChrilleT

Fri 04 Dec 2020, 23:49

Have I missed it or have they mentioned when the rpg takes place in the timeline?

And any mentions it this will be English only or if there´s hope for an Swedish translation?

Otaku-sempai

Sat 05 Dec 2020, 23:07

Have I missed it or have they mentioned when the rpg takes place in the timeline?

And any mentions it this will be English only or if there´s hope for an Swedish translation?
That has been mentioned. The new default year is 2960 (if I'm remembering correctly).
#FideltyToTolkien

Falenthal

Tue 09 Feb 2021, 13:01

Francesco just posted this in his Facebook page:

"At 2PM CET, look to the East!" Erm..., no, you better head to https://www.polygon.com/

News about TOR2, it seems!

Balrog

Tue 09 Feb 2021, 13:17

Polygon looks like a video games site!?!?!

SirGalrim

Tue 09 Feb 2021, 13:37

Polygon looks like a video games site!?!?!
They cover all sorts of fandom, especially gaming. You can see they have several tabletop RPG articles. Of course mostly focused on D&D, but not exclusively. :-)

timbolton

Tue 09 Feb 2021, 15:32

"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass."