Falenthal

Re: The One Ring

Thu 12 Mar 2020, 16:17

What we don't know is what will happen with the books that C7 published and are sold out, like the magnificent campaign Darkening of Mirkwood. Can FL reprint them? Should they change the layout but can keep the text? Or are they absolutely forbidden for FL, as they were written by and for C7?

Not to talk about the books C7 had already written, but not published, specially the Moria boxed set.

Although, to be honest, I think that even FL doesn't know right now what is legally possible with C7's stuff. The contracts and many parts involved seem a little confusing. We'll probably have to wait and see.

wbweather

Thu 12 Mar 2020, 18:14

It will all come down to what deal the 3 companies involved were able to work out, I suppose. But at least there is hope again after 4 months of despair.  :D

silverfoxdmt73

Fri 13 Mar 2020, 00:47

It will all come down to what deal the 3 companies involved were able to work out, I suppose. But at least there is hope again after 4 months of despair.  :D
I think FL will do a very good job with TOR, not seen a bad review of a product yet.

wbweather

Fri 13 Mar 2020, 01:19

I am certain they will. I was just saying how much they get of C7's work will depend on what kind of deal they were able to strike.

silverfoxdmt73

Fri 13 Mar 2020, 01:32

I am certain they will. I was just saying how much they get of C7's work will depend on what kind of deal they were able to strike.
True. Hopefully they can get some of the back catalogue stuff and reprint with whatever rule set they go with.

evilgaz
Topic Author

Fri 13 Mar 2020, 18:03

As someone who possesses all the old stuff, I selfishly want new material to be the focus of work, but can understand that others might want access to previous material. :D

Given that work was well underway on a new edition, Moria, etc., it will be interested to see what comes out and if the advanced timeline will be a starting point.

ChrilleT

Sun 22 Mar 2020, 09:45

Played The One Ring a few times around a year ago with a good friend as GM. Looking forward to see what Free League does with TOR :)
While I will buy it I´m already GM on Symbaroum and Forbidden Lands so don´t know if I manage to do 3 different fantasy games at the same time. Hopefully my friend will keep being GM even when FL has taken over :)

Otaku-sempai

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 16:03

Hi! This is my first post here. I'm looking forward to future announcements regarding TOR (and Adventures in Middle-earth, if the 5E material still uses that title). I was glad to get some news in a recent interview with Francesco (see from 1:34:20 to 2:03:00). Ten takeaways from the interview:

1. Rule changes, but not necessarily the same rule changes that we were seeing under Cubicle 7. I think we already knew this much.

2. So, Jon Hodgson might be back. Great news if it pans out. But new art in any case.

3. Cross-compatibility with the old version. This was also one of the better features mentioned for C7's TOR 2E. It's nice to know that our old books won't automatically be obsolete!

4. The original supplements will not be republished. Well, we can still use them if we have them. Also, I guess that means that we can't count on the previously announced Moria boxed set or any of the other material that C7 had been developing 

5. Confirmation that Adventures in Middle-earth  for 5E will continue in some form, but not for a while.

6. Don't expect anything before 2021 (though that is not certain).

7. Paraphrasing Francesco: The more encyclopedic approach to the second edition was losing some of the flavor of the original edition. [More about Moria later.]

8. Gareth will be back. Yes!

9. Francesco is keeping tighter control.

10. Moria is one of the five issues that still needs to be resolved with Cubicle 7. It will eventually appear in one form or another (possibly going back to the drawing board?).
#FideltyToTolkien

Falenthal

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 16:46

Hi, Otaku!

Thanks a lot for the summary of that interview. Let's hope at some point Fria Ligan will open a new section for The One Ring in this forum. That will be the start of something!

Otaku-sempai

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 18:12

Hi, Otaku!

Thanks a lot for the summary of that interview. Let's hope at some point Fria Ligan will open a new section for The One Ring in this forum. That will be the start of something!
Hey there! I guessed that was you. Yeah, I'm sure we'll see a new forum when FL deems that it's time. Once that is in place I plan on bringing up my hopes for the new edition. I don't think that we'll see much (if any) of the stuff that was being developed at Cubicle 7 for 2E, but there will certainly be new supplements that follow a similar path (such as region and campaign books for Minas Tirith/Gondor).
#FideltyToTolkien