Antalon

Re: Official Errata and FAQ Thread

Mon 17 Jan 2022, 22:04

Two questions:
1) Will the actual pdf of the core rulebook be updated? When?
2) Will a single document of all errata be prepared as a pdf download?

My parcel arrived today. I’m so disappointed with the errors that I have no heart to open it. Maybe I will sell it on ebay and be done.

Sebastian

Tue 18 Jan 2022, 10:44

Two questions:
1) Will the actual pdf of the core rulebook be updated? When?
2) Will a single document of all errata be prepared as a pdf download?

My parcel arrived today. I’m so disappointed with the errors that I have no heart to open it. Maybe I will sell it on ebay and be done.
Good greave, have you read and played other RPGs before? These errata are nothing compared, what I saw in other games. Mistakes happen. You won't find another game, that is perfect.

Dunheved

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 01:26

I have been reading combat tasks page 102.
INTIMIDATE FOE describes the result of Awe tests

Normal Success: ALL opponents of Might 1 are Weary for next round of combat
Success plus ONE tengwar: ALSO ALL adversaries of Might 2 suffer the same penalty.

Then it goes on to state...
Success plus TWO or more tengwars: the penalty applies to all adversaries in the fight.

My question is: what other adversaries are there other than Might 1 and Might 2? If you roll additional tengwars there are no other adversaries to be Wearied! Even Nameless Things does not explicitly describe Might 3+ adversaries.

Naturally, I may be missing something obvious!

Wouldn't this level of Success be better described as making the Awe effect last for more than one turn? i.e. two tengwars is two turns/ three tengwars is three turns?

Michele

Wed 19 Jan 2022, 11:49

I have been reading combat tasks page 102.
INTIMIDATE FOE describes the result of Awe tests

Normal Success: ALL opponents of Might 1 are Weary for next round of combat
Success plus ONE tengwar: ALSO ALL adversaries of Might 2 suffer the same penalty.

Then it goes on to state...
Success plus TWO or more tengwars: the penalty applies to all adversaries in the fight.

My question is: what other adversaries are there other than Might 1 and Might 2? If you roll additional tengwars there are no other adversaries to be Wearied! Even Nameless Things does not explicitly describe Might 3+ adversaries.

Naturally, I may be missing something obvious!

Wouldn't this level of Success be better described as making the Awe effect last for more than one turn? i.e. two tengwars is two turns/ three tengwars is three turns?

Certain Nameless Things have Might 3, so a success scoring two or more tengwars would intimidate to them, while a success scoring one or less would not.

Also, there may be other creatures with Might 3 in Middle Earth not yet described: dragons, oliphaunts, giants, balrogs...
It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

blueyak

Fri 21 Jan 2022, 19:56

Hi!
Thanks so much for the care and skill with which you have woven a role-playing game into the tapestry of Tolkien's Middle Earth. One clarification from the Core Rules: When it says at the top of p. 102 that "player-heroes can remove a complication or gain an advantage" does that apply to only to them individually or to the whole party or does it depend on the narrative situation?
Thanks!

Dunheved

Sat 22 Jan 2022, 14:40

Tiny typo
LOREMASTERS SCREEN
(panel 1)
Conditions
Wounded: (2nd sentence reads) " Wounded Player-heroes recover Endurance slower and is more at risk in combat."
(My bold highlight)

The "is" needs to be "are" as it applies to the plural Player-heroes

Harlath

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 12:59

p229 - With the change to Elwen's stat block (now matching a Fell Wraith's abilities) the text on her tactics on p229 should be adjusted (she doesn't have Strike Fear any more and has Thing of Terror instead, which just triggers at the start of combat, for example).

p176-p229 - Should it perhaps be indicated in each stat block what kind of creature a particular foe is? Helps remind the Loremaster that the creature will have the generic Great Leap ability for Wolves of the Wild or the various Undead abilities. For example, the Wight-King on p195 is presumably meant to have the various Undead abilities, so a little reminder like (Undead) might help while avoiding repeating standard abilities and wasting space?

Vagrant

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 13:03

3: TYPO

CORE RULBOOK
Page 111
Perilous Locations boxout.
'A number of locations in the Journey Map aren't marked with hexagons'

'aren't' should be 'are'

I'd also query the use of 'in' instead of 'on', but that might be a case of grammatically correct but seldom used that way in real life. As a native English speaker I don't recall anyone using 'in' when referring to a place on a map.

Dunheved

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 18:46

@Vagrant. 're perilous regions.

I get your points. But Perilous Regions are a variety of shapes, built from linked hexagons. They also are crossed without the need to count distances in hexagons. In that sense the text is correct.

Maybe the alteration in the text should become "A number of locations on the Journey Map have their borders heavily outlined. These are each treated as an individual Perilous Location. "

As another English speaker, I am unsure of the word "dangerousness". But I may not be that widely read. (I thought it applied to people only, and in a legal/medical context in particular.)

cdj0902

Tue 25 Jan 2022, 23:08

Rules clarification question(s) regarding how Rearward Stance and Engagement intermingle:

Rearward stance lists two requirements: 1) the total number of enemies can't be more than twice the number of adventurers in the Company and 2) for each Player-hero in Rearward there must be two other adventurers fighting in Close Combat stances.

So far so good.

In the Engagement section, however, it is noted that Player-heroes in Rearward stance cannot be engaged. Further, the rules block states "Engaged combatants remain as such until all opposition is defeated, or until they leave combat".

Do these two statements taken in tandem mean that, if a Player-hero is currently engaged they cannot select Rearward stance? If so this seems to be a 3rd "derived" requirement placed on Rearward stance.

The question ultimately, I think, is: can a PC that is "Engaged", due to being in a close combat stance in a previous round, select Rearward stance in a following round if they are still "Engaged" with an enemy? Or is it the case that there is a 3rd implicit requirement to select Rearward stance, being that the Player-hero must be in an Unengaged state?