bradbard
Topic Author

Question about combat engagement

Fri 21 Jan 2022, 02:06

Does engagement reset at the beginning of each combat round? Or once a combatant is engaged with someone, they’re locked with that combatant until death or retreat? I know what pg 96 says, but I’d love some clarity. I can’t find a good combat example online. Thanks!

Asgo

Re: Question about combat engagement

Fri 21 Jan 2022, 02:27

aside from that I would say there are two exceptions
1. if you can switch to ranged stance at the beginning of the round (i.e. fulfilling the other requirements for that)
2. if the LM changes the engagement setup in a round

1) looks like it works because being engaged doesn't seem to be an exclusion criteria for moving to rearward stance
For 2) the LM needs a numbers advantage over the player party
For two there might be two caveats:
- as a matter of practicality keeping existing engagements would be in the interest of reducing management overhead
- I am not sure if the phrasing of "When a round sees more enemies..." implies that this two cases only trigger when the number relation changes.

Pangea

Fri 21 Jan 2022, 09:06

Does engagement reset at the beginning of each combat round? Or once a combatant is engaged with someone, they’re locked with that combatant until death or retreat?
As I understand it:
Each round, Engagement comes second.
First all the Player-heroes choose their Stances.
So, each round, all can freely change Stances.
Those who choose Rearward (and are able to enter that Stance, with all the specific rules) are not Engaged.
Those who are in the other three Stances are in Close Combat and are thus Engaged
Second you do the Engagement, seeing who in Close Combat fights which Enemy
p. 96 states Engaged combatants remain as such until all opposition is defeated, or until they leave combat.
I believe that is incorrect (per the books rules) and that what it means is that Engaged combatants cannot leave during a round.
That they must wait till after the round is over, to change Stances in the first part of the next round.
p. 104 seems to give details on this, saying that Player-heroes "can first assume a Rearward stance, and then choose to escape when their turn to act comes" (which seems to follow the '1st choose Stance & 2nd act' sequence) or "assume a Defensive stance, rolling for their attack normally: If their attack roll is a success, they do not inflict any damage but they manage to leave the battlefield instead. If the attack roll fails, the combatant remains engaged" (the 2nd choice being there for situations when it is not possible to go Rearward, because of all the constraints: how many enemy, how many PCs in close-combat etc.).

Note: the Seize option of some Enemies (p. 144) blocks all this, since the seized PC cannot change Stances.
Playing in France, and online

Niallism

Fri 21 Jan 2022, 16:30

Does engagement reset at the beginning of each combat round? Or once a combatant is engaged with someone, they’re locked with that combatant until death or retreat? I know what pg 96 says, but I’d love some clarity. I can’t find a good combat example online. Thanks!
Yes, that's right. The Engagement part comes after choosing stances, but that doesn't over-ride the core rule of being locked into an engagement. On rounds after the first, nobody will care about the Engagement phase, unless they've just defeated their opponent.

In my games I house-rule to allow skill checks etc to change opponents, but these rules are pretty clear. They are basically the same as 1E.

bradbard
Topic Author

Fri 21 Jan 2022, 20:24

Thank you all! I was confused by the interchange of engaged in combat vs engaged by an opponent. The semantics made it confusing, but I think I understand now.

hugjusten

Fri 28 Jan 2022, 17:54

I’m new to rpg’s. I’ve watched multiple videos on playthroughs for the 1e but I noticed in the 2e that combat is slightly different. I’m a little confused on combat. I understand you use your strength TN. But the rule book says modified by the opponent’s parry rating. What does “modify” mean? Does it change the TN? I couldn’t find the answer in the rulebook, unless I missed it?

gyrovague

Fri 28 Jan 2022, 17:57

I’m new to rpg’s. I’ve watched multiple videos on playthroughs for the 1e but I noticed in the 2e that combat is slightly different. I’m a little confused on combat. I understand you use your strength TN. But the rule book says modified by the opponent’s parry rating. What does “modify” mean? Does it change the TN? I couldn’t find the answer in the rulebook, unless I missed it?
Just adjust the TN upward by the target's Parry rating. If your Strength TN is 16, and the adversary has Parry 2, your TN is 18.

hugjusten

Fri 28 Jan 2022, 18:01

Awesome thank you! I couldn’t figure out how to specifically reply to your reply.
Last edited by hugjusten on Fri 28 Jan 2022, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

Harlath

Fri 28 Jan 2022, 18:02

Great question.

So if your Strength TN is 14, as you're an Elf of Lindon with Strength 6 (20-6 =14) and you're attacking an Orc Solider, you need a 15. This is calculated as 14 (your strength TN) +1 (the orc's parry rating of +1). An Orc Guard is a bit better at defending himself, and has Parry +2 so you'd need 14+2 = 16 to hit him.

Our Elf has a slightly easier time hitting a Wild Wolf, as its parry rating is -, So our Strength TN to hit it is just the standard 14.

If we're having a hard time hitting, we can:
- Spend hope to add 1d to our attack.
- Adopt a Forward Stance for +1d on our attacks (but +1d to attacks against us!).
- Have a companion take the "Rally Comrades" action and hopefully give you +1d in the next round.
- Get an "Advantage" such as higher ground for +1d or more on attacks, perhaps via a Battle roll as laid out on p101-102. It's a great way to get creative with "Other actions" too, alongside the standard Battle roll option.

Hope this helps and welcome to the exciting world of roleplaying games. :)

hugjusten

Fri 28 Jan 2022, 18:58

Thank you! I’ve participated in the Star Wars rpg from the 2000s for two sessions. And my in laws and I love lotr so I got this to give it a try with the in laws. Super excited to get it. I haven’t received my Kickstarter shipment yet unfortunately. I only live 3 hours away from Indianapolis where their shipments are at. It’s a little frustrating I haven’t gotten it yet. lol
Great question.

So if your Strength TN is 14, as you're an Elf of Lindon with Strength 6 (20-6 =14) and you're attacking an Orc Solider, you need a 15. This is calculated as 14 (your strength TN) +1 (the orc's parry rating of +1). An Orc Guard is a bit better at defending himself, and has Parry +2 so you'd need 14+2 = 16 to hit him.

Our Elf has a slightly easier time hitting a Wild Wolf, as its parry rating is -, So our Strength TN to hit it is just the standard 14.

If we're having a hard time hitting, we can:
- Spend hope to add 1d to our attack.
- Adopt a Forward Stance for +1d on our attacks (but +1d to attacks against us!).
- Have a companion take the "Rally Comrades" action and hopefully give you +1d in the next round.
- Get an "Advantage" such as higher ground for +1d or more on attacks, perhaps via a Battle roll as laid out on p101-102. It's a great way to get creative with "Other actions" too, alongside the standard Battle roll option.

Hope this helps and welcome to the exciting world of roleplaying games. :)