Dunheved
Topic Author

Fun Speculation only

Sun 19 Sep 2021, 15:33

I don't have my own answer to this question myself, but what might condensed rules look like for the Starter Set? What gets dropped? And what gets reduced or streamlined?

Sebastian

Re: Fun Speculation only

Sun 19 Sep 2021, 17:02

Hero Creation. Obviously we‘re playing pre-made Hobbit Heroes. Travel rules, if needed at all, could be streamlined. You also don’t need the adversary section, just a couple of possible threats.

Rafamir

Sun 19 Sep 2021, 17:39

Worst streamlining fears:

- Only Combat Proficiencies are Pointy and Non-pointy.

- No Success dice. Instead, roll your attribute or below on the Feat die.

- Use a distinctive feature to subtract 1 from the Feat die.

- There is no Hope.

:D

Alfgar

Sun 19 Sep 2021, 23:46

Failed Travel Rolls result in the party detouring to the nearest Inn where they suffer one level of inebriation.

Ghorin

Mon 20 Sep 2021, 00:50

You're wrong, the starter set will be based on plastic tokens that we move on a spiral path representing a journey through the Shire. No character sheet, you roll a 6-sides dice and move your token the number of cases you got from the dice. Some cases are traps, some are happy events. You win when you arrive at the end of the spiral, in the Green Dragon inn.
Title : Middle Earth Game of the Goose !
;-)

Rafamir

Mon 20 Sep 2021, 03:59

Failed Travel Rolls result in the party detouring to the nearest Inn where they suffer one level of inebriation.

House Rule: Inebriated (Condition)
1 or 2 drinks: Tipsy - do not count 1s rolled on Success dice
3 or 4 drinks: Sloshed* - do not count 1s or 2s rolled on Success dice, impairment complication of minus (1d)
5+ drinks: Hammered* - do not count 1s, 2s, or 3s rolled on Success dice, impairment complication of minus (2d)

* You may not use Hope. If you roll a Tengwar, increase the level of success: a Great Success becomes an Extraordinary Success, an Extraordinary Success becomes a Magical Success.

Dunheved
Topic Author

Mon 20 Sep 2021, 08:28

Replace Combat rules with Legal Council Rules.
All disputes can only be settled by (a) Throwing a Party - and rolling Song or Riddle skills versus opponent. The two ( or more) interested parties must have a stand up debate. If a Piercing Comment is made by rolling a 10 or higher on the FEAT die - also called Sarcasm - use Courtesy to make a Saving Roll in order to avoid losing the match outright. To win your point you need more Successes than your opponent from 3, 5 or 7 Rounds of Debate.

(b) Issuing a Writ - use Lore or a distinctive trait (e.g. Subtle) to compose a letter of complaint. This letter must be sent to a relevant figure authority (e.g. Mayor of Michel Delving, Thain, Master of Brandy Hall ). Other members of a hobbit company (friends or those relatives on your legal side) may roll Persuade to add 1d6 to the Lore Roll. Highest total gets to present their case to the authorities and in doing so, the winning hobbit, or Plaintiff, can choose which of the 18 Common Skills are used by all sides to make The Argument in the Courthouse. e.g. use Hunting or Explore over a land dispute, Craft over a case of selling faulty goods, the Defendant must employ the same skill in reply.
The strength of the Arguement is measured by the number of Tengwar rolled. Note: Sackville - Baggins rule. If no Tengwars are rolled by either side, the case is dismissed, with both sides paying one quarter of their Treasure in wasted Legal fees. Otherwise the loser pays the winners fees in court - again one quarter of Treasure possessed.

mrdabakkle

Mon 20 Sep 2021, 20:34

They will cut the chapters for monsters (any monster stats they need will be monsters that are used in the specific adventures that are included.) Eye Awareness, and Magical Treasure will be cut for sure, I also wouldn't be surprised if they cut the cultural virtues and the the long trait list only focusing on the traits in each Culture's creation page and the trait for each calling. Maybe dropping a few of the callings to only three keeping Scholar, Warden, and Treasure-Hunter. Patrons are gone probably, unless a patron (probably Bilbo) is included as the Patron of the starting adventures. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped each of the attribute arrays available to cultures to three instead of 6. Magical Successes won't be explained except how they relate to Elves, and speaking of that they might just leave Elves out of the Starter Set altogether, and only leave Hobbits in as a culture along with Bree-Folk and maybe Dwarves. But if it's just Hobbits I wouldn't be surprised. That is really all they need, and than they will explain the dice rolling, but they are not going to change the mechanics of the die rolling, that defeats the purpose of the starter set, to learn the rules without having to pay full price. Instead of a $60 game book they can buy it for $40.
The One Ring and Adventure's in Middle-earth Discord Server: https://discord.me/theonering
The One Ring Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/oneringrpg/

gyrovague

Tue 21 Sep 2021, 04:53

Really small typeface.

gull2112

Wed 22 Sep 2021, 01:59

I think it will be streamlined in the sense that you get pre-gen characters.
No bestiary, just the monsters you face.
Bilbo is your patron.
No blessed items.
Very limited fellowship phase options.
OR,
Maybe you'll just get the first 36 pages of the rules, and you'll need to buy the full set to get the rest. Like the free first episode of a cable series!