Falenthal

Re: Some concerns about TN and the difficulty of skill rolls (too easy to succeed)

Sun 21 Feb 2021, 15:31

... and it also makes calculations simpler. You don’t have to recalculate the TN, simply remove a die or two from your hand.
Simpler for in-person games. It's likely to make things more complicated for VTT rolls.
That's something I was thinking the other day, Valarian. It's interesting that RPGs are designed to play in person, and therefore avoiding cumbersome calculations and bookkeeping is a main factor in design.

But VTTs take care of that, so there could (at some point) be RPGs designed for online playing that don't care about complex calculations.

Might there be a different market for online and P2P gaming at some point?

gyrovague

Re: Some concerns about TN and the difficulty of skill rolls (too easy to succeed)

Sun 21 Feb 2021, 16:42

There's a lot to like about adding/removing dice from the pool. The only thing is that doing so is equal to a TN change of +/- 3.5, compared to +/- 2 in the first edition. So it's a bigger hammer. So, for example, if being Moderately Hindered is -1, Severely Hindered would probably be -2. If you've Weary on top of that, you're in trouble.

It's highly thematic...being Weary and Severely Hindered should make it really hard to accomplish things. But I wonder how it plays at the table.

I'm imagining a boss fight using zoned battlemats, in which the best (only?) way to actually beat the thing is to get it positioned so that it's Severely Hindered. Could be cool.

Falenthal

Sun 21 Feb 2021, 16:57

I'm imagining a boss fight using zoned battlemats, in which the best (only?) way to actually beat the thing is to get it positioned so that it's Severely Hindered. Could be cool.
Or to get it stucked in a glitch in some 3D texture so it can't move, and finish it off from a distance with arrows.

Voronwe

Sun 21 Feb 2021, 17:10

... and it also makes calculations simpler. You don’t have to recalculate the TN, simply remove a die or two from your hand.
Simpler for in-person games. It's likely to make things more complicated for VTT rolls.
Maybe. But even in the present difficult pandemic situation, designers have to presume that RPG are mainly played in-person and so configure the rules. Sad would be the day that they had to presume the opposite.

As Falenthal has said, a mainly online/computer played game should be completely different in game mechanics design...

VenomousFiligree

Mon 22 Feb 2021, 01:58

Not for the VTT I'm currently using... I'm guessing the more automation there is in the VTT, the harder it becomes. However, if the VTT just mimics rolling the dice at the table, it's easily done.

As Falenthal has said, a mainly online/computer played game should be completely different in game mechanics design...
A VTT is not an "online/computer played game" (imo), it is a tool for playing tabletop RPGs remotely, just like the phone allows us to have conversations remotely. When VTTs start to become "online/computer played games" I will stop using them.

Davi

Mon 22 Feb 2021, 14:56

I would find it very cool an RPG system built around computer system, with fun combate and dungeon exploration system, with beautiful graphics but the flexibility of table top RPGs.

Not sure how much I would play, but it is something I really would like to see well implemented

Dunheved

Mon 22 Feb 2021, 19:19

Well done to your group for getting so far into their character development and history, and to you as LM. I am very impressed. It seems a luxury to be powerful enough to handle 'most' quests comfortably.

If the party is filling up with high level characters, doesn't the Eye of Sauron mechanic trigger more & more problems? Maybe the power of the party should attract bigger adversaries (Watcher in the Water; Nameless Things; some of those black wrapped things that go around on those dark horses?
I have not done any significant LM-ing with adversaries above attribute 6. But those Children of Shelob look nasty over in Mirkwood; and Ruins of the North had seven stone trolls in one adventure didn't it? If the party can handle THAT, with some ease, then Gandalf and Elrond might have considered these guys to join Frodo's walking party.
Send them up against a Dragon (or two) and make them work for it.

The Q and A comments in the Kickstarter (mentioned earlier in this thread) do suggest that the whole package of changes needs evaluating. It may well be that your concerns are being addressed. For me, "Hope Recovery" is one thing not mentioned clearly in TOR 2e (unless I have missed it of course!). And the effects of Hope seem less certain now. But I will be happy to wait and see (but NOT FOR TOO LONG please!)

Seosaidh

Mon 22 Feb 2021, 20:27

I would find it very cool an RPG system built around computer system, with fun combate and dungeon exploration system, with beautiful graphics but the flexibility of table top RPGs.

Not sure how much I would play, but it is something I really would like to see well implemented
We already have these. Games like Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, and others like them are basically RPG systems built specifically as a computer game.I know that Divinity: Original Sin has same-screen multiplayer to boot.
“War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” Faramir