ottarrus
Topic Author

Skill Question: Grenade Launchers

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 01:40

There are three different ways to deliver grenades in the game.
- By hand, throwing them
- Rifle mounted GL, such as the US M203 or Soviet GP-25
- Tripod mounted AGLs, such as the Mk. 19 and AGS-17

So, how do you handle rifle-mounted GLs? The Rifleman specialty?
And how do you handle AGLs that aren't mounted on a vehicle?

My own personal solution is to add a specialty under the Strength attribute, Grenadier. This adds +1 to grenade launchers of any sort. Thrown grenades are still handled under Pitcher.

leonpoi

Re: Skill Question: Grenade Launchers

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 06:02

Hmmmm - if there’s not a speciality for it (and I can’t recall one right now) - then I think your suggestion is a good one

paladin2019

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 06:28

Rifle grenades aren't in-game yet, we'll see when they appear. I suspect they will continue to be heavy weapons.

As for Mk19s and the like, pg70 tells us that tripod or vehicle mounted is AGL + HW.

Launcher Crew seems to cover everything involving non-thrown grenades.

ottarrus
Topic Author

Sun 23 Jan 2022, 15:01

Launcher Crew seems directed at ATGM's in my eye.
While rifle grenades aren't a game thing just yet, they can be simulated using M203 and similar under-barrel GLs. You'll have to give it some penetrating power for anti-tank version, but it's feasible.
And in asking about this with some guys I know on active duty whose are assigned to a Mk. 19, there are some large differences between a automatic grenade launcher and a machine gun. For one thing, the parabolic arc of a grenade in flight is entirely different than an MG bullet.

paladin2019

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 00:03

LAUNCHER CREW: Gives a +1 modifier to HEAVY WEAPONS rolls for firing grenade launchers and missile launchers.

Launcher Crew covers grenade launchers. Full stop. It is also different than Machine Gunner. The latter will not help with a Mk19.

The only consideration to a Mk19 over a machine gun is that you might allow it to ignore non-overhead cover. Given that a round is a nebulous duration of 5-10 seconds no additional consideration for time of flight is appropriate.

ottarrus
Topic Author

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 00:36

I understand why the writers wanted to simplify the rules, but from a sheer hands-on practical standpoint a belt fed GL has more in common with an MG than an ATGM. I see what you're saying but there just isn't a lot of crossover between using a TOW or Dragon or Javelin and using a Mk. 19.

paladin2019

Mon 24 Jan 2022, 00:55

Then add a bunch of extra rules with limited opportunity to acquire the skills to use them effectively and increase the learning curve for characters. It's your game, add all the extraneous houserules you want. The things you're concerned about are covered very well in the core rules.