Oddball_E8
Topic Author

Movie recommendations?

Sun 28 Nov 2021, 11:25

So, I was thinking of putting together some movie recommendations for my players to watch, to get into the mindset of soldiers and equipment in the 90's.

The only two half-decent films I can think of is Jarhead and Black Hawk Down.

Anyone have any good recommendations of war movies taking place in the 90's?

sgt

Re: Movie recommendations?

Sun 28 Nov 2021, 12:20

I re-watched Generation Kill miniseries (takes place in 2003) to get a better feeling of US military stuff.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0995832/

Ursus Maior

Sun 28 Nov 2021, 12:41

That series is handsdown awesome.
liber & infractus

CrowTamer

Sun 28 Nov 2021, 12:59

I would add three kings to that list. Playing in the east with Twillight:2000 has to be great fun, and I was tented to use King's Ransom and RDF sourcebook, but players want to assault farms in Poland to steal chickens.

About series I liked Falling Skies first season. Despite this being about an alien invasion it's a great story about people surviving the war, and I loved the 7th Massachussets, a mix of military and civilians trying to organice and move to a safer place, it felt very Twilight to me. There has to be more postapocalyptical series and many will have zombies, aliens and other stuff, but they might have a military part.

Oddball_E8
Topic Author

Sun 28 Nov 2021, 13:20

I re-watched Generation Kill miniseries (takes place in 2003) to get a better feeling of US military stuff.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0995832/
Oooh, I forgot about that one.

Putting that on the list.

Byrax

Sun 28 Nov 2021, 13:46

Red Dawn (original).

ottarrus

Sun 28 Nov 2021, 21:51

Here's my solid list of realistic post-apocalypse movies, in no particular order

- The Day After
- Threads ['The Day After' in the UK, and MUCH grimmer]
- Testament [American TV series -- this is very interesting in that there are no booming special effects... the protagonists are suburbanites trying to survive after the nukes have fallen elsewhere and the society they try and construct is devastated by radiation they can't detect, diseases they can't identify, etc. Very realistic in a 'no action hero' sort of way]
- On the Beach, cuz 'duh'
- The Book of Eli
- The Road
- Red Dawn; This is kind of an 'honorable mention' in the sense that I wished to give a list of **realistic** War Three /PA movies. The idea that the Cubans or North Koreans might invade the whole of the United States is simply ridiculous on its face -- just as ridiculous as NATO /the West utterly conquering the Soviet Union. BUT is does depict a 'resistance movement American style' with a certain sense of cultural realism in a certain 'Budweiser not Heineken' kind of way.
- The Postman; OK, this one also needs some comment. It's VERY different from the book [which is a classic of PA genre -- and the movie is decidedly not]. In many respects it's like 'Starship Troopers'... so different from its source material that it should have had a wholly separate title. The Postman [movie] competently delivers several PA tropes in one poorly edited film... the nobody trying to remake themselves, a New America style dictator with an 'army', trying to restart civilization with a cranky power plant [Tom Petty and the dam], the simple struggle against the weather when you don't have Motel 6 to duck into, etc.]

For military experiences, try

- Jarhead,
- Generation Kill
- Hurt Locker
- Fury [Yes, I know this is War Two, but it gives a real feel for the life of an armored vehicle crewman, especially the hate /love /hate relationship between vehicle crews and their vehicle]
- Cross of Iron [Again, War Two but it gives you the sense of a unit trapped behind enemy lines]
- The Beast [1988, about a T62 lost in Afghanistan being hunted by the Mujji's]

Last is an honorable mention that I have not seen, but I am told isn't bad:
- Tomorrow, When The War Began is a young adults novel and Australian TV series about Young Beautiful Australians [think 'Brisbane 90210'] fighting a resistance campaign against invaders. I've read the book, which is worthwhile, but haven't seen the TV series]

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

2WheelsGood

Sun 28 Nov 2021, 23:52

The War Game (1965)
+1 for Threads.
+1 for The Day After
+1 for The Road
Red Dawn is a bit crap but might give you some ideas.
Courage under Fire (1996)
Big Red 1 (WW2 but good for ideas)
Band of Brothers (esp the Bastogne episode) ditto.

paladin2019

Mon 29 Nov 2021, 00:23

RE: Generation Kill, remember, this is very good for mindset, not so much for equipment. They have personal equipment anachronistic to the Twilight War period. (Interceptor vests and MOLLE pouches will be rarer, particularly in Army units, the thermal sights will be nil, their density of secondary weapons is much higher as the show followed a !SOF unit, etc.)

2WheelsGood

Mon 29 Nov 2021, 00:28

Look for Time Magazine photo stories from Bosnia and Gulf 1 for kit, ideas and atmosphere

Welcome to Sarajevo (1997)