ottarrus

Re: Movie recommendations?

Mon 29 Nov 2021, 01:38

Look for Time Magazine photo stories from Bosnia and Gulf 1 for kit, ideas and atmosphere

Welcome to Sarajevo (1997)
Good points. The Jugfuck [a term for the Yugoslavian Civil War that I got from an SF operator who was in and out of there for 5 years] is a good gear and environmental touchstone for the T2K4 timeline. And for both NATO and Pact units as well.
Just remember that ALL movies about it are heavily political, with a lot of moralizing and propaganda in them. Russia is generally pro-Serb and makes their movies accordingly. The West is largely anti-Serb, and this is reflected in the Western film making. It isn't undeserved, but to be very blunt about it there were NO 'good guys' in the Yugo Wars. It's like trying to choose between Hitler and Stalin that way. And movies about the Jugfuck can give real insights on what it looks like when a Slavic country goes completely to Hell...
A couple of movies that are non-military but could be useful are:
- In the Land of Blood and Honey
- Harrison's Flowers [both these films go into the killing of unsympathetic journalists by combatants on all sides]

Additional military movies include:
- No Man's Land [two soldiers trapped in the NML between Bosnia and Herzegovina]
- Savior [an interesting movie about a French Foreign Legionnaire in Bosnia]

Oddball_E8
Topic Author

Mon 29 Nov 2021, 19:18

RE: Generation Kill, remember, this is very good for mindset, not so much for equipment. They have personal equipment anachronistic to the Twilight War period. (Interceptor vests and MOLLE pouches will be rarer, particularly in Army units, the thermal sights will be nil, their density of secondary weapons is much higher as the show followed a !SOF unit, etc.)
Maybe it could be considered good enough for what the players had at the start of the war?

paladin2019

Mon 29 Nov 2021, 20:17

Nope. There is too much stuff in there that is anachronistic. It just didn't exist and/or exist in those quantities. Also, this is a Marine Recon BN; it is SOF by the game's definition but not the US's. They're gonna have more toys.

But the troops themselves? I know most of those guys (not them personally, but archetypes exist for a reason.)

Higgipedia

Thu 02 Dec 2021, 06:15

- Hurt Locker
UGH. With the exception of two scenes (the Colonel talking to Jeremy Renner "That's a wildman answer!" and the Supermarket scene at the end), I freaking hated that movie. The actors did a great job but the events of that movie were just... AAAAAAAH.

I have opinions.
DENNIS HIGGINS
Check out the Black Sheep War Journal in the Free League Workshop!

Higgipedia

Thu 02 Dec 2021, 06:17

- No Man's Land [two soldiers trapped in the NML between Bosnia and Herzegovina]
SUCH a good movie. I joke about how it would be part of my "The UN is useless in a war" movie marathon, along with Siege at Jadotville and Shake Hands with the Devil.
DENNIS HIGGINS
Check out the Black Sheep War Journal in the Free League Workshop!

agent_pumpkin

Mon 06 Dec 2021, 11:09

Some great choices here and I would like to add Kajaki ( in the USA- Kilo Two Bravo) to the list. Based on a true story of a British unit in Afghanistan encountering an old Russian minefield. I think it's a great film and it has some solid reviews. You may just want to have subtitles on if you watch it, the regional accents are quite strong! :lol:

baldrick0712

Sun 19 Dec 2021, 00:36

Don't laugh - movies franchise "The Expandables" starring Sly Stalone, Jason Statham, Arnie, Van Damme, and a host of other A-list action movie actors. It's not realistic but might give you some ideas.

DeSaint502

Tue 21 Dec 2021, 01:26

An Ungentlemanly Act - British Marines on the Falklands when the Argentinian forces invaded. Gives you a good idea of small unit cohesion by sarcastic banter. Dog Soldiers aswell but I know it has werewolves in it but the endless banter between members of the unit reminds me of my service and no matter how grim it gets there is always something to joke about.

The problem with comparing war movies is the logistics support is there. Imagine We were Soldiers without helicopters.

Blackhawk Down. Running out of the combat area because it's quicker than waiting for transport and unit cohesion failing around the edges because of casualties and the classic " no plan survives the 1st contact with the enemy"

paladin2019

Tue 21 Dec 2021, 02:01

no plan survives the 1st contact with the enemy
My 3 had an opinion on that phrase.

Solitare99

Tue 21 Dec 2021, 13:47

One of the best movies I have watched in a couple of months:

Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan
In August 1966, in a Vietnamese rubber plantation called Long Tan, 108 young and inexperienced Australian and New Zealand soldiers are fighting for their lives against 2500 North Vietnamese and Viet Cong soldiers.

Very true rep given to the battle.