ottarrus
Topic Author

Computer Game on the Subject

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 03:11

I don't know why it's taken me so long to remember this, but there's an interesting computer game set in post-apocalypse Russia that some of you might be interested in.
ATOM RPG is developed by the indie developers of the same name. It's set in an unnamed region of the post-apocalypse Soviet Union and you are an agent of ATOM, a pre-war recovery agency.
It's an RPG more in the vein of the Metro or Call of Pripyat franchises than FallOut and there isn't much of a sense of humor in it. I personally found the game fun, but be warned... the combat is brutal.
No, I am not affiliated in any way with ATOM and have no relationship with them other than as a satisfied customer.
Website link below:

https://atomrpg.com/

baldrick0712

Re: Computer Game on the Subject

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 13:03

If you just want to see the weapon systems of T2K4 in action then the tactical military simulator "Combat Mission: Cold War" is a good one. It's set in WWIII in Europe around 1979-82, so a bit earlier than T2K4 but weapon systems didn't change much in the following couple of decades. Again, I'm not affiliated with the company that makes this game in any way.

https://www.battlefront.com/cold-war/cmcw-base-game/

omnipus

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 20:10

I'd say that a lot of weapons systems changed enormously over the next 10-15 years. Not at the infantry level but in guided munitions, aircraft, tanks, optics, fire control, C3... But that time period probably still gives a great context for T2K since almost all of the newest and hottest was left burning in a field a couple of years ago.

As for ATOM, it's been on my wishlist forever but I just keep ignoring it.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

baldrick0712

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 20:42

I'd say that a lot of weapons systems changed enormously over the next 10-15 years. Not at the infantry level but in guided munitions, aircraft, tanks, optics, fire control, C3... But that time period probably still gives a great context for T2K since almost all of the newest and hottest was left burning in a field a couple of years ago.
There are other games in the same game family that move the action forward to dates like 2008 and 2017 but none that feature Soviet-era Russian infantry unfortunately.

Oddball_E8

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 20:52

If you just want to see the weapon systems of T2K4 in action then the tactical military simulator "Combat Mission: Cold War" is a good one. It's set in WWIII in Europe around 1979-82, so a bit earlier than T2K4 but weapon systems didn't change much in the following couple of decades. Again, I'm not affiliated with the company that makes this game in any way.

https://www.battlefront.com/cold-war/cmcw-base-game/
Ooooh, nice to see Battlefront's Combat Mission games mentioned!

I made some soundmods for the WWII ones back in the day.

Oddball_E8

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 20:53

Oh, and if we're just talking shooters for gun nerds...

Escape from Tarkov.