baldrick0712
Topic Author

Ranged Combat - Stable Platform

Tue 23 Nov 2021, 20:26

Would you allow a +1 modifier when firing a weapon that has a stable platform, e.g. it is rested on a low wall or sandbag? Lots of modern warfare systems have a modifier such as "Using a Rest" (I think GURPS has this?) and whilst the extra +1 mentioned under Telescopic Sights does refer to this for using a bipod or resting weapon on some cover it is never explicitly mentioned on its own (e.g. firing M16 out of window of ruined building whilst resting it on the window sill). [EDIT] Maybe only for single shots?

Ursus Maior

Re: Ranged Combat - Stable Platform

Tue 23 Nov 2021, 23:50

Personally, I would allow the same modifier a bipod confers for any other support a shooter finds, be it sandbags, a wall or whatnot. In my opinion, the difference between a bipod and a tripod is that the latter supports a weapon fully, i. e. disregarding the support a weapon usually receives from its shooter. On the other hand, a bipod still needs to find that third support point in the shoulder of its gunner. So, as long as the gunner knows how to take proper stance, front support of the weapon can be improvised. Within the (relatively) low granularity of the T2K engine, it should make no difference, whether a weapon rests upon a bipod or a sandbag. The benefit of a bipod is that it fits the weapon specifically, making it easier to change targets at wider angels or training the gun up and down. Additionally, an attached bipod will always be available, whereas incidental support might just not be available.
liber & infractus

AEB

Wed 24 Nov 2021, 04:47

A tripod allows you to set up pre-determined fields of fire, both in direction and range. I would allow a bonus firing a tripoded weapon at locations that had been ranged and staked out. It also allows more sustained fire as it is easier for the crew to feed in ammo and swap out barrels on a tripoded weapon.

A bipod replaces a forearm with a pair of legs supporting the forward part of the weapon. This makes the weapon more stable as long as the weapon is fired prone or if a suitable flat and stable surface like the top of a wall is available to place the legs on. Note that a bipod may make repostioning the weapon harder - I have a bipod on one hunting rifle and unless I can place the legs on the car bonnet the bipod is a hinderance unless you fold it up if you need to turn to follow a target.

Sandbags are very good for stable firing as long as they are positioned ih the right direction. Those same sandbags also provide solid cover as well.

omnipus

Wed 24 Nov 2021, 20:56

I've allowed this as part of the "take partial cover" action.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

leonpoi

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 03:02

I've allowed this as part of the "take partial cover" action.
Do you mean a +1 bonus with a stable platform? If so, does it apply to all weapons or just the scoped rifles / MGs?

omnipus

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 20:18

Yes, but it was a spur of the moment decision during play. Player was in a window and wanted to be able to get in a low position and brace their rifle which made sense to me so I gave them a little bonus. Looking at it more fully, it maybe introduces other problems (with making the telescopic sight not all that great actually). So I actually don't know how I would rule on this otherwise.

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Fri 26 Nov 2021, 02:21

Given the lack of granularity of T2K4, maybe granting a "little bonus" for bracing a weapon on a window sill could be handled differently from just adding a die? For example, maybe if I obtain a bipod for my M16A1 and I'm able to use that bipod (I'm prone, or crouched next to a window), I'm allowed to reroll one attack die?

omnipus

Fri 26 Nov 2021, 02:45

I personally don't like adding more dice rolls pretty much anywhere and especially not in combat, where it could happen often, slowing down what's already not a super fast process... but if that works for you then by all means. Note that if you let the player CHOOSE which die to re-roll then you have a large range of probabilities to deal with with varying skill levels. Re-rolling a D6 is not as good as getting to roll a D8 instead. Re-rolling a D12 is theoretically above 100% chance of success. Very hard to control.