tgunner91
Topic Author

Rolling YOURSELF up???

Mon 22 Nov 2021, 01:12

So here's a question for you vets out there-

Are any of you going to "roll" yourself up? Like make yourself a character?

I haven't really read the fluff for this version of the game, but I'm pretty familiar with the setting from back in the day and know the basic timeline. That takes me to this question to be honest. I was a 26 year old veteran who saw action in the Gulf back in '91 and I actually received my discharge in '97. If this war broke out in '96 like the history said I would have been in the IRR and I was a 19K10 Abrams crewman, so yeah, it's a given that I would have been recalled, given refresher training, and sent to Europe as an individual replacement or I would have joined a unit deploying to Europe right after REFORGER kicked off (I wonder what the chances would have been for me to rejoin my old unit- 2-34 Armor? They certainly would have been there!).

And before you think I'm weird, I have played a scenario in the old video game Steel Panthers that had MY OLD TANK in it! So I've actually played myself in a game before (it was a bummer when I messed up and had my own tank hit a mine though! I could almost hear my old TC yell, "CASE!!!!!!!")

Anyway, any of you think of doing that? Would you? Or would it be too weird for you?

I'm curious to hear what y'all think.

Tgunner.

Shroud

Re: Rolling YOURSELF up???

Mon 22 Nov 2021, 04:06

Hey welcome to these forums, I'm new here myself
I served from 84 to 93 with one deployment to the Middle East in the Navy.

No game system except perhaps GURPS has ever had the ability to simulate my life, because of my geographical and regional knowledge, skills at tactics and strategy from playing Naval and historical War Games since I was 11 years old, acting and storytelling and writing ability, knowledge of military history, mathematics, physics and religion, and the fact that I speak multiple languages, I write, and do cartography, I've been a C++ programmer. I'm pretty good with firearms I was trained by some really good shooters. I also know basic firefighting,

I seem to have some kind of natural pheromone that attracts women, because I'm not anything more than average looks... At more than one woman has told me I smell amazing...

Usually with a point base system you're going to have where you can track attributes and you slide some down and other ones up.

I'm not that strong but I am 6 ft 4 + 250 so usually you have to have some kind of cost for stature (1st edition had this) and additionally I've been a member of Mensa since 2014 so trying to allocate points for intelligence... it just doesn't happen.

Okay so add on top of that the effects of all that right but I can still run games and everything else even though I have TBI and brain atrophy, plus I have three slipped discs in my back multiple broken bones and fractures along with arthritis and diabetes in remission.

Fun exercise though, but every system I've ever run into falls short... Except Gurps.

And I don't run corpse because it's just too complicated although I played it and I like playing it I'm a person that's in the system mastery so I don't run groups and I don't run 3.5... but I do run 5th edition and I do run one ring 1e.
DM_Shroud- Sailor, Gamer, Author, Mensan
Professional RPG Referee - https://startplaying.games/gm/dm-shroud-roll20
My Authors Blog: https://theaurincluster.blogspot.com/
Digital Moon Books - https://www.digitalmoonbooks.com/

Oddball_E8

Mon 22 Nov 2021, 06:47

Oh, I don't know...

I'm not sure how I'm gonna manage to end up as a PC with all D's in attributes :P

ottarrus

Thu 25 Nov 2021, 06:14

Well, if I were to roll up myself as an active duty soldier, I'd probably end up with C or D in a lot of skills and 'Shamming' would have to be skill specialization :lol:
Note: in the US military 'shamming' might be called 'malingering' in other countries. We differentiate between the two by saying that 'malingering' is avoiding work altogether while 'shamming' is the subtle art of not being around when unpleasant work comes up... and an expert shammer can do so in such a way as to not upset his leadership!
And I have the Expert Shamming Badge :D

Higgipedia

Fri 26 Nov 2021, 23:45

Well, if I were to roll up myself as an active duty soldier, I'd probably end up with C or D in a lot of skills and 'Shamming' would have to be skill specialization :lol:
Note: in the US military 'shamming' might be called 'malingering' in other countries. We differentiate between the two by saying that 'malingering' is avoiding work altogether while 'shamming' is the subtle art of not being around when unpleasant work comes up... and an expert shammer can do so in such a way as to not upset his leadership!
I would also submit that anyone who wants to get a great idea of this should read the Terminal Lance webcomic.
DENNIS HIGGINS
Check out the Black Sheep War Journal in the Free League Workshop!

ottarrus

Sat 27 Nov 2021, 01:56

I would also submit that anyone who wants to get a great idea of this should read the Terminal Lance webcomic.
And Terminal Lance is funny even if you've never been a jarhead /bootneck /Marine. It should be required reading for this board... lol!

SykesFive

Tue 21 Dec 2021, 16:45

I was born in 1975 so back when I was initially into T:2000 in the late 1980s I was conscious that I'd be the prime age to fight (and most likely die) in the Twilight War.

With a continued Cold War, I would have entered university in 1993 (like I did historically) and joined ROTC (which I did not do historically after having thought about it--being in a military family in a military community it was clear to me the industry was not in a growth mode). I imagined that with the war starting there would have been some kind of early commissioning and graduation, then straight to Europe in time for things to go completely to hell. I figured I would probably have been preparing for some kind of combat support or combat service support branch but, with the war grinding on, probably ended up basically as infantry.