Jaxa
Topic Author

[Merged] Fuel consumption while traveling offroad

Sun 21 Nov 2021, 14:41

Traveling offroad consumes twice as many fuel as traveling on roads. But is traveling cost counted by hex driven or by "hex of movement"?
For example traveling through forest requires twice as many fuel as traveling through plains (four times more then on-road)

baldrick0712

Re: Fuel consumption while traveling offroad

Sun 21 Nov 2021, 15:40

Traveling offroad consumes twice as many fuel as traveling on roads. But is traveling cost counted by hex driven or by "hex of movement"?
For example traveling through forest requires twice as many fuel as traveling through plains (four times more then on-road)
I would say fuel consumption is per hex of movement. Example: A Humvee with a fuel capacity of 3 converted to grain alcohol use would consume 6L of fuel traversing a 10km hex by road, 12L off-road in the open, and 24L off-road through a forest.

Fenhorn

Sun 21 Nov 2021, 22:59

All fuel consumption is per hex driven. Off-road consumption is doubled and when running on alcohol the consumption is also doubled. (p.141+)
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

baldrick0712

Mon 22 Nov 2021, 01:30

All fuel consumption is per hex driven. Off-road consumption is doubled and when running on alcohol the consumption is also doubled. (p.141+)
I think you are missing the point about "difficult terrain". From p141... "When driving off-road, difficult terrain can reduce your speed. A terrain speed factor of x½ in a hex means that you need to spend two hexes of movement to drive into it, a speed factor of x⅓ means you need to spend three hexes of movement, etc." So, the question is, does difficult terrain just slow you down without costing any more fuel or does it also cost you more fuel? I'm assuming the latter as your engine is running for longer.

Fenhorn

Mon 22 Nov 2021, 01:40

I think you are missing the point about "difficult terrain". From p141... "When driving off-road, difficult terrain can reduce your speed. A terrain speed factor of x½ in a hex means that you need to spend two hexes of movement to drive into it, a speed factor of x⅓ means you need to spend three hexes of movement, etc." So, the question is, does difficult terrain just slow you down without costing any more fuel or does it also cost you more fuel? I'm assuming the latter as your engine is running for longer.
Hm, you're right. I have always seen that as movement points, but they do list it as hexes of movement and just as you say, they do that for a reason (i.e. fuel consumption), otherwise they would have used movement points I guess.

rogercv

Fuel consumption doubt

Sun 05 Dec 2021, 11:52

Hey twilighters,
I started yesterday my campaign and a doubt assaulted me: if the vehicle drives off-road, the fuel consumption is doubled. If it runs on alcohol fuel it is also doubled.
So... a vehicle running off road on alcohol fuel spends 4 times the normal consumption? Is this correct? Seems too much, that's why I'm asking.
Thanks!

Vader

Re: Fuel consumption doubt

Sun 05 Dec 2021, 12:50

Assuming that the first principles hold true — that off-road driving is twice as energy consuming as driving on paved roads, and that the home-cooked alcohol fuel has half the energy content of industrially refined petrol — then it makes perfect sense.

Simple maths, really: Twice the energy needed to travel the same distance, with a fuel you need twice as much of for the same job, equals four times the consumption.

If the underlying assumptions are correct.

If you feel it is too much, that it breaks your game, feel free to tweak it — but for the maths to add up, you’d also need to tweak one of the other numbers. You might for instance say that all-terrain driving consumes 1.5 times the fuel instead. Then off-road on alcohol would be 3x the consumption.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

baldrick0712

Sun 05 Dec 2021, 13:03

Hey twilighters,
I started yesterday my campaign and a doubt assaulted me: if the vehicle drives off-road, the fuel consumption is doubled. If it runs on alcohol fuel it is also doubled.
So... a vehicle running off road on alcohol fuel spends 4 times the normal consumption? Is this correct? Seems too much, that's why I'm asking.
Thanks!
You are correct. It is actually worse than that as this is for "Open" terrain. If you drive through "Woods" terrain you double it again (it counts as 2 hexes of movement per woods hex). So, a Humvee with fuel consumption 3L per hex would consume 6L per hex if converted to alcohol, 12L per hex if also "Off-Road" and 24L per hex if the "Off-Road" movement was through Wooded terrain. That's a quarter of the fuel tank gone, for just one 10km wooded hex.

I don't see it as a problem though. It's going to mean you can quickly travel a few hexes (in just a single shift normally) but then you're out of fuel and spending days or weeks trying to make, purchase or steal some more.

Fenhorn

Sun 05 Dec 2021, 13:24

Probably not the best and purest alcohol either. It is crap alcohol made in a shift from whatever organic matter you can find.

And yes, off-road driving involve a lot of low-gear start-stop-and-turn driving, that cost a lot.

But as other have said, if you want to have a lower fuel consumption, go a head and change it, but if you do, then you have to think about that the players can drive a whole lot more for each batch of fuel they make/find.

rogercv

Sun 05 Dec 2021, 19:50

Thank you for the replies. Yes, probably that will be a source of oportunities and scenarios. The need for fuel. I forgot that this is not a holiday trip but a post-apocalyptical survival situation.
:)