baldrick0712
Topic Author

Component Damage

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 09:07

I thought I'd do a quick example of an M136 AT4 anti-tank rocket attack vs. a BMP-2 to get my head around vehicle damage. The US soldier fired the AT4 and got an extra success for 9 damage. The frontal armour of the BMP-2 was 5, modified to 4 by the -1 modifier of the AT4. The hit therefore penetrated the armour for 5 damage. A roll of 6 on the penetration column of the Component Damage table meant the Driver was hit. The AT4 has Crit 2 so the NPC driver was incapacitated. Now what happens? According to the description of the Driver Component, any damage above the Crit level of the weapon continues into the Cargo component. However, under Secondary Damage, it says any damage in excess of that needed to destroy OR INCAPACITATE a component continues to hit another component (Cargo is next up the list).

If the driver was an NPC like in this example then I assume 3 damage now hits the Cargo component. What happens if this is a PC vehicle and the driver was a PC with 4 Hit Capacity? In this case it took 4 damage to incapacitate him (Critical Injuries don't automatically incapacitate PCs). Would you allow 3 damage to pass though to Cargo or only 1?

Fenhorn

Re: Component Damage

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 10:04

I would say in this case that even though the NPC is technically incapacitated due to him getting a critical injury (because of the simplified NPC damage rule), I would only use the damage above his Hit Capacity as secondary damage. So his body will still soak up damage as if he would be a real boy so to speak.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 14:18

I would say in this case that even though the NPC is technically incapacitated due to him getting a critical injury (because of the simplified NPC damage rule), I would only use the damage above his Hit Capacity as secondary damage. So his body will still soak up damage as if he would be a real boy so to speak.
But the description for the Driver component says damage in excess of Crit level passes through. I think this contradicts the general rule about Destroyed or Incapacitated. The point is moot - let's face it, the vehicle and crew are going to have a very bad day from such a penetrating hit. I haven't even got to Blast Damage and bailing out yet!

Fenhorn

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 14:28

I only read the secondary damage part. So, they apparently use crit as a threshold everywhere in vehicle damage (driver, gunner, passenger), I would say that is the rule and the text in the Secondary Damage paragraph just assumes the simple NPC rule. I would use the same for the PCs. If a PC get two damage with a weapon that has a crit of two, then the left-over damage will hit another component.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 14:35

I only read the secondary damage part. So, they apparently use crit as a threshold everywhere in vehicle damage (driver, gunner, passenger), I would say that is the rule and the text in the Secondary Damage paragraph just assumes the simple NPC rule. I would use the same for the PCs. If a PC get two damage with a weapon that has a crit of two, then the left-over damage will hit another component.
I think you're right. I must say, I was impressed by this exercise. There's a lot of detail in the system in terms of what happens to vehicle and crew when they get hit.

HorusZA

Tue 19 Oct 2021, 22:34

I don’t think that the HEAT jet, spalling and blast from an AT4 cares much about how many Hit Points a soft, fleshy human has.
So I agree with Fenhorn’s assessment that 3 points would carry through.

paladin2019

Wed 20 Oct 2021, 21:59

You mean my tank riders aren't ablative armor :o

;)

AEB

Thu 28 Oct 2021, 05:00

I remember back when I still played World of Tanks that the radio operator was the best armour in the game - the poor sap could absorb a 122mm shell.