CharlesPicardGMs
Topic Author

A character sheet, but for your vehicle...

Thu 07 Oct 2021, 17:25

It occurred to me that I could use a way to track the resources and status of our team vehicle, the M1114...

http://toomuchcontent.net/2021/10/07/on ... -2000-rpg/

Thanks for having a look!

paladin2019

Re: A character sheet, but for your vehicle...

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 00:14

Not complaining, and I really like the callback to US load plan diagrams, but google drive isn't the friendliest to those of us who refuse to have google accounts.

Fenhorn

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 00:19

Not complaining, and I really like the callback to US load plan diagrams, but google drive isn't the friendliest to those of us who refuse to have google accounts.
May I ask why?
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Solitare99

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 01:01

Just want to say that is a great idea. Will defo use this and adapt it for the British-themed game I'm looking to run.

Question where did you get the standees from for the characters could you possibly link as looking for paper figures etc?

paladin2019

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 04:16

May I ask why?
The pdf won't load in browser. I have to use the download command in the google docs page to open in a pdf reader.

EDIT: A suggestion for improvement would be to set up the M2 info as a separate layer in the pdf for those trucks with Mk19s or TOWs or the like. Or even some of the MP units that are still stuck with M60s.

CharlesPicardGMs
Topic Author

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 04:21

Just want to say that is a great idea. Will defo use this and adapt it for the British-themed game I'm looking to run.

Question where did you get the standees from for the characters could you possibly link as looking for paper figures etc?
These are the old Steve Jackson Games Cardboard Heroes... for all I know they still make them. I'm almost positive that they'd still be selling these as pdfs.

Ursus Maior

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 10:05

EDIT: A suggestion for improvement would be to set up the M2 info as a separate layer in the pdf for those trucks with Mk19s or TOWs or the like. Or even some of the MP units that are still stuck with M60s.
I second this motion. Here are the relevant symbols for reference: https://www.globalsecurity.org/military ... 45-c5b.htm
liber & infractus

paladin2019

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 16:10

Here is a scan of a load plan diagram for a basic armor M1026 from the TM rather than the one from the FORSCOM form, BTW. Basic armor, of course, meaning a hardtop roof and cargo shell and fiberglass doors. ;)
Presented for whatever use you want to put it to.

(Sidenote: the M1114 cargo area is unarmored and sealed from the fighting compartment by an internal blast door. Doesn't matter for these purposes.)

CharlesPicardGMs
Topic Author

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 23:39

Yes... my idea for the vehicle sheet is definitely evolving...

Over on Facebook there was a suggestion that I add vehicle component damage, which is reasonable enough but then once i really dug into those rules, I realized how weird some of them are. It's hard to build the sheet, when it's not entirely clear what the intention of the rules is.

For example: Engine damage, suspension damage, and tire damage all cause dings on Vehicle Reliability... however, it's unclear if the components themselves can be damaged beyond a total of 5 damage (aggregate). So, if you have 2 engine damage, 2 to suspension, and 1 to your tires, do those components still soak damage. AND if they do, does the abstract repair roll just make everything okay if Vehicle Reliability is raised back to 5.

I mean really that is a whole other post, tho!

Fenhorn

Sat 09 Oct 2021, 00:44

Yes... my idea for the vehicle sheet is definitely evolving...

Over on Facebook there was a suggestion that I add vehicle component damage, which is reasonable enough but then once i really dug into those rules, I realized how weird some of them are. It's hard to build the sheet, when it's not entirely clear what the intention of the rules is.

For example: Engine damage, suspension damage, and tire damage all cause dings on Vehicle Reliability... however, it's unclear if the components themselves can be damaged beyond a total of 5 damage (aggregate). So, if you have 2 engine damage, 2 to suspension, and 1 to your tires, do those components still soak damage. AND if they do, does the abstract repair roll just make everything okay if Vehicle Reliability is raised back to 5.

I mean really that is a whole other post, tho!

Technically yes and no. Any hits that reduces the vehicles reliability, damaging the vehicle as a whole. So if you got two damage in the engine, it is the vehicle's reliability that goes down two steps (from 5 to 3 in this example). The engine is not disabled, it is damaged but since the engine is an essential part of what makes a vehicle a vehicle this is measured in the vehicles reliability which is the vehicles reliability over all. If you later get two damage to your suspension, the vehicle's reliability goes down two steps (from 3 to 1 in this example). The suspension is not inoperable, but it is damage but again since this an essential part of the vehicle it is measured by the reduced reliability of the vehicle. If you now, get one damage to your wheels, the vehicles reliability goes down one more step (from 1 to 0). This makes the vehicle inoperable. It has been made inoperable because of damage to the engine, to the suspension and to the wheels, which can be nice to know for narrative purposes.

Regardless of how the vehicle's reliability has been damage (engine, suspension, wheels, etc.) you repair the vehicle as a whole. This example vehicle has been made inoperable because some damage to the engine, to the suspension and to the wheels. You have to assume that when you repair the vehicle, you repair it all, if you repair the vehicle one step (so it gets reliability 1) you have repaired the engine a little bit, the suspension a little bit and also the wheels a little bit, just enough so you can drive it, just.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore