Makhfi
Topic Author

Ambushing

Sun 26 Sep 2021, 10:18

Hi, I have a question about ambushing. It states in the rules (p.60) that if you fail while trying to sneak up on somebody, the target spots you at your starting distance.
What I wonder is, if a pc sees an enemy at say 8 hexes and decide to sneak to the same hex as the target, do the pc roll a sneak roll once with a -2 modifier to get to the same hex. Or does he roll once for each step closer to the target according to the table at p.61?

The second method is the one I would prefer, since I think it would be progressively more difficult to get closer and closer to the target, instead of just rolling once, which is easier to just push, if needed and then be done with it. And if it is a single roll, a fail means that the pc is spotted directly, no matter how far away he started, which I don't think is correct.

/Makhfi

Fenhorn

Re: Ambushing

Sun 26 Sep 2021, 10:47

You only make one roll.

It would be a whole lot of dice rolling if a group of four players decides to ambush someone otherwise and with a whole lot of dice rolling, it is very likely that you fail.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Makhfi
Topic Author

Sun 26 Sep 2021, 12:41

Thanks for responding, but I don't think it would be a lot of dice rolling. Only one pc roll the dice, the one with the lowest Recon in the group (according to the rules), and it would only be one roll for each range row. And if I know my player's, only the best in the group will try it, the rest will stay back and be ready to provide support if needed :)

/Makhfi

Fenhorn

Sun 26 Sep 2021, 12:50

Thanks for responding, but I don't think it would be a lot of dice rolling. Only one pc roll the dice, the one with the lowest Recon in the group (according to the rules), and it would only be one roll for each range row. And if I know my player's, only the best in the group will try it, the rest will stay back and be ready to provide support if needed :)

/Makhfi
I have used multiple stealth rolls in various YZE-games from time to time and sure it is no problem. If is like if the players succeeded with the recon roll but not initiated combat, but instead decided to sneak some more. It is a gamble because with many skill rolls, you are more likely to fail and when that happens, combat starts.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Makhfi
Topic Author

Sun 26 Sep 2021, 13:48

Aye, I've done that too, it's a calculated risk that the player's will have to make :)

/Makhfi

AEB

Mon 11 Oct 2021, 05:38

Most ambushes are launched from a stationery prepared position. Hasty ambushes where one party moves to find an ambush location faces a far higher chance of detection so multiple rolls make sense.

Best way to handle things is to treat the PCs and NPCs the same when it comes to ambushes and die rolls.