Makhfi
Topic Author

House rule for crit rating

Mon 20 Sep 2021, 14:28

Hi, I have made a house rule that I thought I'd share, use it if you want ;)

Crit rating
I came up with this house rule since sniper weapons have a crit rating one lower than other weapons in the same caliber. No matter if they fired a quick shot or not.

The house rule is this:
All weapons have the Crit rating of its corresponding ammo type, see p. 109 in the Referee’s manual. This removes the lowered crit rating of sniper rifles.
However, if a character spends a slow action to aim, the crit rating goes down one step.
Only one shot is fired, so no extra ammo dice from ROF is allowed.

I may remove it myself after some playtesting, since it will make the game even more lethal :twisted:

/Makhfi

omnipus

Re: House rule for crit rating

Wed 22 Sep 2021, 03:17

Thing is, sniper rifles have long barrels for a reason: in most cases, with all things being equal, this results in higher muzzle velocity, which means less drop and more energy delivered at the other end. Typically, the difference in energy between a long barrel and a standard one is around 15-20%. So maybe you don't want them to have a crit advantage, but they probably ought to have some sort of advantage when it comes to dealing hurt.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

Makhfi
Topic Author

Re: House rule for crit rating

Wed 22 Sep 2021, 08:32

Aye, that is correct, but since the damage between weapons isn't so diverse (pistols 1, AKs 2, most rifles 3, HMG 4) I don't think that a longer barrel helps much, but rather shot placement, which is why I made it a must to take a slow action to gain the benefit of the lowered crit value.

But, I still haven't had time to test it out for real, just a few mock fights and they don't tell the real story, just that it works as intended. I'll wait and see if my players think it's too lethal for their taste :mrgreen:

/Makhfi