Mordante
Topic Author

Combat as theatre of the mind...

Thu 16 Sep 2021, 08:28

Has anyone made any changes to the rules to better run combat encounters without using hex maps?

omnipus

Re: Combat as theatre of the mind...

Thu 16 Sep 2021, 22:16

I've done a couple ToTM combats, usually for quick "the guy goes for his gun!" or random encounter sort of stuff. Pretty much I'm just using the normal rules, just a bit faster and looser with modifiers and range bands. It involves a lot more yes/no kind of questions, which are easy to answer usually, like "can I sprint to the corner of that building and take cover?" or "can I get to a spot that has line of sight to both entrances?" and I can either answer those directly or use an oracle for that.

What sort of things did you have in mind?
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

Mordante
Topic Author

Thu 16 Sep 2021, 22:29

I'm not sure really what I'm looking for its just that the rules as written primarily use the battlemaps whereas I was hoping more centred around theatre of the mind.

I'm glad to hear it can be run without the maps although I'm nor sure how they'd run with vehicles.

Ser Stevos

Fri 17 Sep 2021, 02:52

My group plays only through discord and we use theater of the mind with a quick reference map. No hexes or anything like that but as stated above, it's a more yes/no game and has been going well for us. I think it comes easier if you started running the game with theater of the mind and simple maps from the beginning as opposed to trying to get away from the detailed battle maps.