Fenhorn

Re: Damage from firearms... Part 2

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 15:05

Also remember that the players, sometimes even the NPC (if the Referee is mean), should push their rolls when they can.
I've been wondering about enemy NPCs pushing rolls so glad to see it confirmed that they can. Given that you cannot suffer even a jammed weapon without pushing I think NPCs should be pushing rolls a lot to get realistic results like jams etc. I don't think it's mean for the referee to play NPCs as if they were PCs, with a strong desire to cause lethal damage and win the firefight at the risk of suffering malfunctions.
The rules say (ph p.47):
NPCs only rarely push rolls however - the Referee should save this for the key NPCs in important situations.
Personally I do push skills for NPCs (more than the rules suggest anyway), but that is personally how I play, my comment above was more inline what the rules suggest.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Fenhorn

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 15:11

Someone that has D D and uses ROF 2 will hit roughly 50% of the time and 25% of all the time he hits, it will result in two (or more) successes
Not sure this is right. My understanding is that D D hits roughly 30% of the time and ROF 2 causes suppression if the base dice fail to hit.
Yes, I used a table that was was written with d6s and that don't take suppression in mind. But regardless of your chance to hit, it was meant to give an example that one person that is not particularly good at shooting can get more than one success a fairly decent amount of time (more than 85% anyway) if he hits.

baldrick0712

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 15:12

The rules say (ph p.47):
NPCs only rarely push rolls however - the Referee should save this for the key NPCs in important situations.
Personally I do push skills for NPCs (more than the rules suggest anyway), but that is personally how I play, my comment above was more inline what the rules suggest.
Well in terms of the original poster saying that his players are finding it laughable that they only suffer grazes to the head all the time, I think he should say, "OK, you asked for it" and start pushing NPC rolls a lot more.

Fenhorn

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 15:19

The rules say (ph p.47):
Well in terms of the original poster saying that his players are finding it laughable that they only suffer grazes to the head all the time, I think he should say, "OK, you asked for it" and start pushing NPC rolls a lot more.
In my MYZ and FbL campaigns, I NPC skill rolls, more than the various games suggest I should do, because I want my players to respect combat and to be tactical in combat. I think it is ok because the NPCs, just like the PC, will hurt themselves and/or their gear every now and then by doing so.

edit: also, if you have D D using ROF 2, you have roughly 30% of hitting and roughly 33% of those times it will result in one or more successes.
edit2: for two dice the statistics is: 0 successes 69,44%; 1 success 27,78%; 2 successes 2,78%

joaoperru
Topic Author

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 15:41

I know that i can push npc roll as in all the YZ games, i dont do it for now because it's the way the PCs are "special". I know that, as a referee, i can do everything i want.
I'm sorry to say it again, i'm glad for you to use this post for exchancing ideas, but no one has answered to my question, yet.

I will put it down one last time:

The FACT is: 12 hits: 11 normal. 1 critical. (could have been 10/2, 8/4 it doesn't change the situation). The eleven times i had to invent situation as: glancing hits, shrapnels, fragments, ricochets. The first few times it worked, the tenth time we all laughed. I started laughing cause my imagination stopped to come out with new ways to portrait what was happening. They don't deserve to be beaten cause it was a laughable situation for everyone. Now, i KNOW that for those who play solo these problems don't arise, they don't have to explain everything to themselves, but when you narrate a combat you have to explain what happens in a vivid way.
So, the QUESTION is:
What do you say to your players to make them accept the fact that they are accumulating all these "not too critical" wounds from high caliber/velocity weapons that can heal in 12/18 hours?
Do you just use D&D way of just saying "The enemy soldier hit you with a non critical wound, you lose 3 HP"?

Fenhorn

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 16:01

I know that i can push npc roll, i know that, as a referee, i can do everything i want.
I'm sorry to say it again, i'm glad for you tu use this post for exchancing ideas, but no one has answered to my question, yet.
I can't even answer that because I have not seen those results. When we play YZE-games, the players usually get more than one success a decent amount of times and so do I so that was the reason I answered in the form of statistics (and btw the statistics that I show was for unpushed skills). I have simply not seen those result that you have.

Because this thread is apparently not a rule question, I will leave this discussion (because of my role on this forum).

baldrick0712

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 16:04

I know that i can push npc roll as in all the YZ games, i dont do it for now because it's the way the PCs are "special". I know that, as a referee, i can do everything i want.
I'm sorry to say it again, i'm glad for you to use this post for exchancing ideas, but no one has answered to my question, yet.

I will put it down one last time:

The FACT is: 12 hits: 11 normal. 1 critical. (could have been 10/2, 8/4 it doesn't change the situation). The eleven times i had to invent situation as: glancing hits, shrapnels, fragments, ricochets. The first few times it worked, the tenth time we all laughed. I started laughing cause my imagination stopped to come out with new ways to portrait what was happening. They don't deserve to be beaten cause it was a laughable situation for everyone. Now, i KNOW that for those who play solo these problems don't arise, they don't have to explain everything to themselves, but when you narrate a combat you have to explain what happens in a vivid way.
So, the QUESTION is:
What do you say to your players to make them accept the fact that they are accumulating all these "not too critical" wounds from high caliber/velocity weapons that can heal in 12/18 hours?
Do you just use D&D way of just saying "The enemy soldier hit you with a non critical wound, you lose 3 HP"?
I'd say it was a ricochet.

Real Life Example: Skip to 10:50...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ0bchTPsto

Vader

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 17:46

You could also go the way of interpreting the damage as not resulting from actual hits by bullets from the weapon, but rather as the negative results of being fired upon in a more general sense:
- "You jerk back as bullets start landing around you, and hit your head on the wall behind you."
- "You go down on one knee to get better cover, but your patella hits a rock with full force."
- "The burst causes you to unconsciously shift deeper into the brush ... just enough for a sharp branch to poke you hard, straight into the corner of your eye."
- "One of the bullets land right beside your left hand. You yank it back ... straight into a piece of broken rebar, cutting a deep gash."
I could go on.

In other words — one way or another, the enemy's attack "scores" on you, but not necessarily with a bullet. Only the hit that brings you down to zero needs to be an actual hit.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

baldrick0712

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 19:16

You can also take into account body armour. If the wound would have been a critical but for armour reduction, then the PC's body armour stopped the round but he suffered severe bruising from the impact.

omnipus

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 20:10

My players haven't had the same "good luck" you seem to have avoiding critical injuries. In four major firefights I've seen a bleed-out, shattered arm, hip, and one poor soul's head simply explode. But, I won't argue with your results. Fortune works in mysterious ways. I've also seen more than a few non-critical hits and there is a need to balance the gamified aspects with storytelling. It can feel a little old or repetitive over time but here's a few that come to mind that I've done or thought of:

"Luckily, the bullet just grazes you. Still hurts like hell but with a quick thought of 'I need to bandage that soon' you return your attention to the fight."
"You feel a sting and reach up to realize a chunk of your ear is gone. It doesn't hurt much but boy is it producing a lot of blood."
"The bullets don't hit you, which is nice, but you leap behind the rocks with such intensity that you slam the side of your head right into one. You see stars for a second."
"The bullets impact on the pavement right in front of you -- shattering into fragments that spray across your arms and legs."
"You take the round right in the chest. Maybe it's the adrenaline, or just luck, but it doesn't seem to slow you down much for now."

Another thing to keep in mind is that if your group doesn't always have time to rest, heal, or clean wounds between suffering harm, even non-critical damage can quickly get very dangerous. Two basic hits to incapacitate can quickly turn into just one!
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG