Lystra
Topic Author

Even MORE Foundry Questions MAPS and TOKENS

Sat 28 Aug 2021, 23:32

So the Map Scaling doesn't seem to be pre set up. I can Scale the maps but then the character tokens are HUGE. I reduced the token size to 0.3 and that helps a lot especially if you want to have more than one token in the same Hex. But that has me going through all the NPC tokens and downscaling them. Is there a way to edit a group of tokens at a time? Am I doing this right? I feel like I'm missing something!

Fenhorn

Re: Even MORE Foundry Questions MAPS and TOKENS

Sun 29 Aug 2021, 00:06

For the battlemaps (the scenarios required other numbers) I use hexgrid-off; Grid Size 500; Offset 124, -14); Scale 10m. In Configure Settings under System Settings, there is a default token size (it is 1 for me, I don't remember if I changed this or not, I think so).

I should say that I am a newbie with this, but this is what I have and the Foundry hexgrid matches the battlemaps hexes and the units matches the hexgrids.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Lystra
Topic Author

Sun 29 Aug 2021, 23:22

For the battlemaps (the scenarios required other numbers) I use hexgrid-off; Grid Size 500; Offset 124, -14); Scale 10m. In Configure Settings under System Settings, there is a default token size (it is 1 for me, I don't remember if I changed this or not, I think so).

I should say that I am a newbie with this, but this is what I have and the Foundry hexgrid matches the battlemaps hexes and the units matches the hexgrids.
Thanks! I found the default token setting. My issue was the token filled the entire hex, which is OK but problematical if you want multiple tokens in the same hex. The solution I am using is to keep the square grid on the maps but changing the grid square size from 10m to 2.5m which seems to scale out right and the tokens seem to be at scale, especially the vehicles.

paladin2019

Mon 30 Aug 2021, 03:41

For reference, 10m is about the length of a MBT. That's the measure I used to eyeball scaling up the pdf maps to use with my Team Yankee stuff. ;) (You know, besides actually being accurate and using the models' 1/100 scale and pulling out the micrometer to ensure the hexes were 10 cm.) Maybe that can help others in scaling tokens.

Fenhorn

Mon 30 Aug 2021, 12:29

Now I have tested so that two foundry hexes fits across one battlemap hex (and aligned it so three whole hexes fits one battlemap hex). Technically this means that the foundry hexes becomes 5m. I did this just so more than one unit tokens could snap on a hex and still fit inside a battlemap hex, but I could also run the battle with 5m scale instead of 10m. Doing it this way, you have to adjust the scale for the vehicles, otherwise you could end up with very small tanks.

... and I do know that I don't have to use foundry hexes, that snaps tokens, but I like it.

Mr Oldtimer

Wed 01 Sep 2021, 23:24

Seems strange they didn't bother to align the maps, or even set the grid to hexes, while creating the modules though. They kind of did it on the travel map but the alignment was a bit off and the measurements was hilariously off. The set up is a bit of a hassle to do and if you're new to the system or in a hurry to set it up for an evenings game, this might easily ruin your evening. As of now, the battle maps require a lot of tinkering before they're ready for game night. Not a very low prep game if playing online. Frankly, this kind of details is what I expect to be ready if I buy a module for a game.

Fenhorn

Thu 02 Sep 2021, 00:30

Seems strange they didn't bother to align the maps, or even set the grid to hexes, while creating the modules though. They kind of did it on the travel map but the alignment was a bit off and the measurements was hilariously off. The set up is a bit of a hassle to do and if you're new to the system or in a hurry to set it up for an evenings game, this might easily ruin your evening. As of now, the battle maps require a lot of tinkering before they're ready for game night. Not a very low prep game if playing online. Frankly, this kind of details is what I expect to be ready if I buy a module for a game.
It is not so important on the battle maps. On my first combat tests I did, I used the squares and just moved the tokens around and it works fine. Now I have aligned all the battle maps so I of course use that, didn't take that long to do (but then if it didn't take that long ...). I will ask this to the maker of it.

Mr Oldtimer

Thu 02 Sep 2021, 10:06

Seems to me, it'd be better someone in the know of the system did the work - one time - in stead of all customers having to do the work themself. Just saying...

Fenhorn

Thu 02 Sep 2021, 11:11

Seems to me, it'd be better someone in the know of the system did the work - one time - in stead of all customers having to do the work themself. Just saying...
The creator said this about this:
Because the hexes are 10m wide and characters only 1m wide. You can have multiple characters in the same hexes

Meaning if you aligned the foundry hexgrid to the battlemap hexgrid, your character tokens (that will use the foundry hexgrid) will take up the entire hex. This is not practical since you can have multiple of characters on each hex. Those that still want that can easily do that.

edit: And after I have played with aligning of the hexgrids I have now gone back to skipping it and just using smaller squares instead so I can have multiple character tokens on each battlemap hex (there is 9 foundry squares on each battlemap hex).

Mr Oldtimer

Fri 03 Sep 2021, 17:04

Ok, good to hear it was intentional and not overlooked. I use a module that lets you split stacked tokens but if one doesn't use that mod, I understand the argument. Thanks for the quick reply. It's still a bit of a mess to use the ruler in order to measure distance though but on these small maps I guess one could just count the hexes.