aramis
Topic Author

Missing gear entries in release

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 00:40

Missing gear entries in release

Canteens & load of water rations
Jerrycans (5 gal/19 l or euro 20 l)
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Fenhorn

Re: Missing gear entries in release

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 01:29

When it comes to canteens and other bottles for carrying water, plastic bottles are easy to find and doesn't weight anything empty (unless someone carries a lot of them), so water is therefore assumed to weight 1/2 for one ration and the bottle, nothing if empty.

Jerrycans probably weigh 1 if plastic (I have no idea what a plastic jerrycan weighs), empty, then 1 per 3 litres.

I am a little bit surprised that jerrycans didn't made it in the list, but it is easy to just access encumbrance for such things.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

paladin2019

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 01:48

Jerrycans are mentioned in the group equipment options but are otherwise unmentioned. Diesel is about 7 lbs/G, so a jerrycan is roughly 6 ENC full (modified by whatever the DM feesl appropriate for form-factor). Methanol and ethanol are about a little over 6.5 lbs/G, so you shave about an ENC off for a jerrycan. Water, at >8 lbs/G, could justify up to 7 ENC based solely on weight.

A water ration as a 1/2 ENC is extremely generous; a liter and a half is exceptionally low for daily survival, unless canteens are assumed to have beneficial form factor that reduces their effective weight.

Fenhorn

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 01:58

<>
A water ration as a 1/2 ENC is extremely generous; a liter and a half is exceptionally low for daily survival, unless canteens are assumed to have beneficial form factor that reduces their effective weight.
Well, some of the daily need of water comes from the food you eat and water bottles and canteens are designed to be easy to carry. But for those harsh referees out there, you can force your players to drink 1 ENC of water each day. Well, perhaps not that harsh since water is usually easy to find.

aramis
Topic Author

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 04:59

When it comes to canteens and other bottles for carrying water, plastic bottles are easy to find and doesn't weight anything empty (unless someone carries a lot of them), so water is therefore assumed to weight 1/2 for one ration and the bottle, nothing if empty.

Jerrycans probably weigh 1 if plastic (I have no idea what a plastic jerrycan weighs), empty, then 1 per 3 litres.

I am a little bit surprised that jerrycans didn't made it in the list, but it is easy to just access encumbrance for such things.
The metal ones are pretty heavy. I've seen several references to 25 kg full, so about 5 kg.
I found the reference to the water ration... p P19. It's 1/2. Which can either be 1.5L (a more normal volume) or assumed to be rounded down.
That puts the gerry can loaded at about 6.5...
Am calling it out for errata purposes, really. It should be on the food and beverages table on P131. (As should mention of any beverages at all other than the section title - as no beverages at all are there.)

Fenhorn

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 07:10

<>
I found the reference to the water ration... p P19. It's 1/2. Which can either be 1.5L (a more normal volume) or assumed to be rounded down.
Am calling it out for errata purposes, really. It should be on the food and beverages table on P131. (As should mention of any beverages at all other than the section title - as no beverages at all are there.)
Yeah, it is funny to call it Food & Drink when it doesn't contain anything to drink, although I don't see why water should be there since water is easily found.

aramis
Topic Author

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 11:06

<>
Yeah, it is funny to call it Food & Drink when it doesn't contain anything to drink, although I don't see why water should be there since water is easily found.
Because where there are groups of people, there will be some for whom it is better to buy it than spend their time finding and purifying it.
Plus, even if it's not priced, it's the right place to put the encumbrance, and any odd storage notes.

Fenhorn

Sat 21 Aug 2021, 15:04

The Official Foundry T2K module lists

Clean Water Wt 1/2 Pr 1 (this is a new entry in the list).
Diesel/Gasoline Wt 1/4 Pr 50 (the weight is new).

paladin2019

Sun 22 Aug 2021, 05:05

Water may be easy to find in Europe. Uncontaminated, potable water may be another story.

paladin2019

Sun 22 Aug 2021, 05:10

The Official Foundry T2K module lists

Clean Water Wt 1/2 Pr 1 (this is a new entry in the list).
Diesel/Gasoline Wt 1/4 Pr 50 (the weight is new).
Is 1/4 for a liter of fuel? That's about half what it should weigh.

EDIT: That is, of course, assuming that water is also rounded to 1 liter rather than the 1/2 ENC of a day's ration. 25 kg or 8 ENC is still a good number for a jerrycan and that supports 1/2 ENC for a liter of packaged fuel.