omnipus
Topic Author

House Rules (1.0 edition)

Thu 05 Aug 2021, 20:08

Many of my previous house rules were actually adopted into the final rules (or made irrelevant by changes elsewhere), so I figured I'd post a little update on some things I've been doing and have been working for me since the 1.0 release.

Lifepath Chargen - I always let my players roll 2d6 for any specialties, etc that they might pick up and choose which one they like. I'm just nice that way.

NPCs - I rarely use many of the simplified rules for NPC coolness under fire, reloading, etc. I do try to have my NPCs act in buddy pairs, if there's more than a few of them. I sometimes use my NPC wounds table to quickly resolve hits; it saves a bit of time in bigger fights and also helps generate morale/motivation outcomes, if I haven't come up with break points or something in advance. I think I'd like to do a version of this that directly incorporates CUF into the roll, rather than requiring another roll entirely. Right now you do still need to do 3 rolls if you care about CUF and if you care about hit location... so it's actually adding a roll at the benefit of eliminating record-keeping for hit points. Not ideal but it does help in some circumstances with fodder NPCs.

Night Vision - I find the ranges and rules for nightvision to be kind of silly. I have a pretty significant amount of experience patrolling with NODs and it just doesn't feel right. My rule instead (easily implemented in Foundry, my VTT) is that any form of NODs give you a bright vision range and a dim vision range. Within the first, you can see well, make out most details, etc. Within the second, you can see, but you can't make out details (so for instance you really can't tell if that guy has an AK or a M16). All firing penalties still apply. You get a +2 to Recon rolls relating to ambushes and encounter ranges.

MGs - machine guns are in kind of a bad spot in the rules as it is. Other than holding a lot of ammo, they offer no real benefit and have some significant drawbacks. This wasn't much of a factor until I got a character who really wanted to be a machine gunner. So. RAW give MGs significant penalties unless they are deployed using the bipod/tripod/something. Fine, makes sense. But the rules don't give them any benefits! What are the real-world benefits of MGs? They put out a lot of fire, and cause a lot of suppression. So my current experimental house-rule to give MGs a bit of love is this: all RAW still apply, but when deployed on the bipod, they get to re-roll up to 2 ammo dice on each attack. Two obvious caveats about this: 1) yeah, it also increases the chances of a mishap or jam. I think I'm relatively ok with this... many MGs are quite notorious for jamming. 2) it adds another roll. I'm not as okay with this. An alternate I may try is that a deployed MG may convert any two 5s rolled into a 6, for instance. This would come up pretty rarely, but I'm just looking for a little boost here. I also rule that the additional hits must be handled as separate hits (to the same or different target), not as increased damage.

Better Practices (these aren't really rules, just observations I've had in terms of running the game)
- zoom in and out of the RAW. Sometimes, the constant threat of encounters and the use of shift-by-shift travel rules is exactly what is needed to keep the tension up or generate some excitement. Other times, the players are really just pursuing a major story beat, and it's best to stay out of their way as much as possible so that good stuff can happen! In this case, I still check for encounters, but if it's not something I can think of a straightforward way to tie to the big-picture story or use to reveal a clue, I skip it.
- use the "Solo" rules! I personally find this section invaluable even for non-solo play. Especially when it comes to the above, and generating encounters that lead somewhere and keep the story moving, I find it generates much better results mostly because it makes me do my own interpretation to develop encounters. I also use Mythic GME for this and for many other things.
- likewise with the "mood elements" included in the book. Some of these are quite nice for painting a picture, when you don't want or need a full encounter. But players have a tendency to treat everything as a clue, as a significant threat, or as something that must be followed up on. Be careful including these if you don't want to spend half an hour to an hour carefully exploring it, or have it misinterpreted as having some undue importance in the world.
- I use Angry GM's Tension Dice whenever and wherever I can. It's a really nice, straightforward system for communicating a looming sense of threat to the PCs, especially when they're doing something like infiltrating an enemy camp, etc!

There are more house rules I will probably eventually implement. A skill change to break up Recon, Persuasion, and maybe Tech is high up there, but it's kind of a big hassle when running with existing characters. As in the recent Initiative discussion, I'm evaluating some big changes there as well, not sure how I want to play it yet really though. I'm also pondering a rule for automatic successes for highly skilled characters, in some circumstances (mostly travel-related). The dice come out really swingy sometimes in a way that is hard to justify for highly experienced survivors.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

cheeplives

Re: House Rules (1.0 edition)

Thu 05 Aug 2021, 20:27

MGs - machine guns are in kind of a bad spot in the rules as it is. Other than holding a lot of ammo, they offer no real benefit and have some significant drawbacks. This wasn't much of a factor until I got a character who really wanted to be a machine gunner. So. RAW give MGs significant penalties unless they are deployed using the bipod/tripod/something. Fine, makes sense. But the rules don't give them any benefits! What are the real-world benefits of MGs? They put out a lot of fire, and cause a lot of suppression. So my current experimental house-rule to give MGs a bit of love is this: all RAW still apply, but when deployed on the bipod, they get to re-roll up to 2 ammo dice on each attack. Two obvious caveats about this: 1) yeah, it also increases the chances of a mishap or jam. I think I'm relatively ok with this... many MGs are quite notorious for jamming. 2) it adds another roll. I'm not as okay with this. An alternate I may try is that a deployed MG may convert any two 5s rolled into a 6, for instance. This would come up pretty rarely, but I'm just looking for a little boost here. I also rule that the additional hits must be handled as separate hits (to the same or different target), not as increased damage.
You make a good point here... what if MGs were allowed to Suppress (and only Suppress) on a 5+, leaving 6s to be used for either Suppression/Extra Damage, but only when using 4 or more Ammo dice?... need to crunch some numbers, but that "feels" right to me.

baldrick0712

Fri 06 Aug 2021, 15:06

Re. machinegun advantages...
  • Usually have longer range
  • Usually have higher ammo capacity
Those two alone mean they will have generally better hit chances and will allow more ammo dice to be rolled between reloads compared to assault rifles.

They usually also have the ability to quickly swap out the barrel if it gets too hot from sustained auto fire but not sure how to emulate that in the game.

I would also give them some sort of enfilade fire advantage, like allowing multiple enemy to be hit along their line of sight similar to the friendly fire rule.

leonpoi

Wed 11 Aug 2021, 17:18

You make a good point here... what if MGs were allowed to Suppress (and only Suppress) on a 5+, leaving 6s to be used for either Suppression/Extra Damage, but only when using 4 or more Ammo dice?... need to crunch some numbers, but that "feels" right to me.
I like this a lot. Is it worth tweaking it a bit more?
- shot offhand - penalty rules as written
- standing / crouched bipod rested on cover - no penalty - base rules
- prone bipod / tripod 5s are suppression too

The idea is prone just allows better recoil management etc. I would think it could make sense even for <4 ammo dice - but maybe it’s a bit much on only 1 dice (but then again maybe not because of the penalty otherwise)

But - what action is used to set up / deploy on a bipod?

(As aside: Looking at the LMGs and GPMGs, they don’t really get a range advantage as written in the rules)

leonpoi

Wed 11 Aug 2021, 17:21

Lifepath Chargen - I always let my players roll 2d6 for any specialties, etc that they might pick up and choose which one they like. I'm just nice that way.
Yea. This seems so obvious - good stuff - and if they roll for one they already have then they get a free pick ? (Eg also from specialities you can’t otherwise get from char gen)?

leonpoi

Thu 12 Aug 2021, 11:48

I also use Mythic GME for this and for many other things.
Ha ! - didn't read this the first time. I have started using this for 1-2 years now and have incorporated it into almost every rpg I've play now - it's just very nice to use ; the FATE chart etc. I got the cards earlier this week for the adventure crafter and I'm enjoying those too.

omnipus
Topic Author

Fri 13 Aug 2021, 22:29

I like this a lot. Is it worth tweaking it a bit more?
- shot offhand - penalty rules as written
- standing / crouched bipod rested on cover - no penalty - base rules
- prone bipod / tripod 5s are suppression too

The idea is prone just allows better recoil management etc. I would think it could make sense even for <4 ammo dice - but maybe it’s a bit much on only 1 dice (but then again maybe not because of the penalty otherwise)

But - what action is used to set up / deploy on a bipod?

(As aside: Looking at the LMGs and GPMGs, they don’t really get a range advantage as written in the rules)
The Russian ones do. The RPK-74 gets range 7 (compared to 6 for the AK-74). The PKM gets range 8, less than the SVD but I can accept some logic there. The SAW gets no advantage over the M16A2, but the M60/M240 also get range 8 -- which granted is the same as the G3/Ak4. If barrel length is the primary consideration, this all makes sense more or less.

As for what action, I'd say "use item," which is a fast action. Going prone is a free action, so, in the space of a turn you could drop prone, deploy your bipod, and then assume overwatch. Sounds about right to me.

I still don't feel like I've found the 100% right rule here but it's close, in the ballpark. 5s or higher makes MGs twice as effective at suppression and very, very deadly on many hits... but that may be about right!

omnipus
Topic Author

Fri 13 Aug 2021, 22:33

Oh, and this reminded me of one other house rule I'd forgotten:

Expanded Overwatch

I found the limitation of overwatch to a single specific hex needlessly restrictive, to the point where overwatch generally seemed foolish. So I allow it to affect a wider area. You still must pick a target hex, but can take action at hexes within line of sight near that target hex, with a -1 penalty for each hex away you are. The idea being that most of your focus is on that target, but you're not going to miss the opportunity if someone steps out just slightly off from where you were looking. A little common sense is needed in applying this -- realistically the penalty or distances from target hex should vary with range, but I don't find that level of detail necessary.

aramis

Wed 18 Aug 2021, 21:48

I've Session 0 and Session one in the done column, and I've only houseruled a few things...

For comparison...
In lifepath: promotion roll only grants the specialty and the rank; need an extra success for combat arms to get the +1 CUF. I have allowed using two extra for non-combat arms and police & espionage to get +1 CUF.
The BV206 is added to the US vehicles list as the SUSV (which it was and still is designated as in US service).
US characters may opt for bilingual English/Spanish.
I allowed the use of Doctor as an option for MDs as their branch for Officers. (My player playing one opted to be Support, as he's former enlisted and a Navy Doc on Marine Duty.)

I'm also using a simplified set of police ranks for US characters from the police: Patrolman, Senior Patrolman, Corporal/lead patrolman, Sergeant, Senior Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, 3 chief ranks.
If any player opts for a British PC with police service, I'll look up the London Metro Police ranks.

I'm thinking of adding a couple more steps in the weather table.

Note that, even with the 2 successes needed for promotion+CUF, the Navy LT in Marine Uniform has CUF B... (Yes, he's medical. MD.)
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

omnipus
Topic Author

Fri 20 Aug 2021, 07:03

Ah yes. I also house ruled that if you took a reduction due to aging, you could take that to your CUF once during Lifepath generation rather than some other attribute. Only if it was higher than D already, of course.