omnipus

Re: Ammo Dice + consumption of ammo

Thu 05 Aug 2021, 19:20

I mean, there are other factors in play. Obviously more bullets = better, if you want to always be able to shoot when it's time to shoot.

Even ignoring that, rolling more ammo dice always also increases your chance of a jam. This is as true with 6 bullets as it is with 100.

But yes, if I had players intentionally loading 6 bullets, we'd have a discussion about that. If they kept doing it, some other form of ill fate would certainly find them.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

Viperion_NZ

Sat 07 Aug 2021, 02:21

rolling more ammo dice always also increases your chance of a jam.
RAW, a gun can never jam on the first roll, no matter how many 1's you roll. It only jams when you push, and if you've rolled a lot of 1's already (and therefore have to keep them) you just don't push.

That's the one rule change from the Beta to the release version that I am seriously considering just removing - for a post-nuclear apocalyptic game, everything suddenly became reliable again, and it changed the tone of the whole game IMO

Fenhorn

Sat 07 Aug 2021, 07:17

In Year Zero games, pushing a skill is very important. In combat, this is most often the difference between winning or loosing a fight. Sure if you rolled a lot of 1s on the initial roll, you think that would stop you from pushing and in some cases it probably will, but since any hit you rolled still counts even if the reliability goes down or the weapon jams, pushing a roll even though you also will get a 1, may be worth it and if you don't, your enemy might.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Viperion_NZ

Sat 07 Aug 2021, 10:41

We haven't played a lot yet, but my group isn't pushing much, only when they really *need* to hit. I think out of the three sessions we've played so far (like I said we haven't played much yet) they've pushed maybe a total of three times

Fenhorn

Sat 07 Aug 2021, 11:22

My players have pretty much pushed their skill rolls in every combat they have done in all the Year Zero games we have played (Mutant: Year Zero, Forbidden Lands, Alien and Vaesen) and that is regardless if they see a 1 or not on the initial roll. Pushing is so powerful so even if it means that you, or a weapon will take same damage, most often you need to. Sure to many 1s on the initial roll they of course can't push, even though they have done that sometimes as well because they know if they don't they will die.

A character that shoots with rank BC using ROF 2 will have 69% chance of getting a base success and 31% of getting an ammo success. If he pushes he have 90% of getting a base success and 52% of getting an ammo success. That is a huge difference. Those numbers even lie a little bit because they only give you the chance of getting a success, but pushing also increases your chance of getting more than one success, something that usually wins the day.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ursus Maior

Sun 08 Aug 2021, 13:51

As a referee if my players would be trying to use the exploit as such, I'd have a talk to them in any case.
D'accord. If a player (or multiple players) exploit the rules to gain individual benefits on a constant basis, not the mechanics are the problem, but the mindset is. A houserule might fix the symptoms, but the issue will come up again with the next exploit.
liber & infractus