Mon 28 Jun 2021, 01:43

What did you create/write it in?
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Re: Lifepath Character Generator

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 02:04

What did you create/write it in?
Java 1.8 and Spring Boot (plus Thymeleaf for the web pages)

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 11:21

For anyone who requested a download link, v1.0.4 is now in the Dropbox folder. This fixes a bug with one of the parameters that must have been introduced by the last version.

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 13:16

I was just re-reading the "Architype" method of character creation. They seem quite lower in capability compared to "Life Path" characters. For instance, a Life Path character will start with a minimum of two specialties (Childhood, At War) and is likely to have several more from passing promotion rolls for each term. How would referees handle this? Would you insist that all PCs are created using the Architype or Life Path method, i.e. no mixing of methods?

Anyway, the Architype method looks pretty easy to implement in my character generator application as another option if people want it. Let me know what you think.

andresk

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 15:19

The ideal way would be if the application was hosted on a server but I have no idea how to go about that so for the time being all you can do is run it on your local machine from a command line window and go to the service's URL in your browser. I've private messaged you with a link to the download.
You could try and reach out to free league to have it added to the their website under twilight 2k.

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Mon 28 Jun 2021, 16:02

The ideal way would be if the application was hosted on a server but I have no idea how to go about that so for the time being all you can do is run it on your local machine from a command line window and go to the service's URL in your browser. I've private messaged you with a link to the download.
You could try and reach out to free league to have it added to the their website under twilight 2k.
I'd have to make sure the application can cope with multiple concurrent sessions first if they were interested.

Hammer

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 05:54

Would it be possible to get the link to try this? Cheers.

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 07:08

Would it be possible to get the link to try this? Cheers.
Link sent in private message.

Dijon

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 19:54

@baldrick0712 When you get a moment, could you help me understand the syntax for adding parameters. I've tried various implementations of the examples on the health page but all that I get is HTTP Status 400 Bad Request. Without parameters it's working great.

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Tue 29 Jun 2021, 20:11

@baldrick0712 When you get a moment, could you help me understand the syntax for adding parameters. I've tried various implementations of the examples on the health page but all that I get is HTTP Status 400 Bad Request. Without parameters it's working great.
Sure. You've probably just mistyped them. The parameters have to be typed exactly as shown in help page.

No parameters...
http://localhost:8080/t2k4chargen/generate

One parameter. Just add a "?" followed by parameter-name=parameter-value
http://localhost:8080/t2k4chargen/generate?lastCareer=MilitaryService

Two or more parameters. Use "&" as a separator, so...
http://localhost:8080/t2k4chargen/generate?lastCareer=MilitaryService&maxTermsEducation=1&firstCareer=Education

To be fair, a "proper" application would never expect the user to type this stuff. You'd select options with a proper user interface with buttons, dropdowns etc., and it would call the backend using the correct query string (the bit after the "?"). I may make the effort to turn it into a "proper" app.

One last thing. If the parameters have been entered correctly you will see them in the command window output, for example...

Generating new character with the following parameters...
firstCareer=N/A, lastCareer=MilitaryService, maxTermsEducation=1
termLengthVariant=false, atWarCheckDie=D8

Note that some are defaults so N/A means you didn't use that parameter, atWarCheckDie defaults to D8 as per the RAW if you didn't use that parameter, etc.
Last edited by baldrick0712 on Tue 29 Jun 2021, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.