omnipus

Re: Suppression Impossible from Single Shot Miss

Mon 14 Jun 2021, 21:40

Yeah the discussion on the discord mostly centered around snipers, being used by the players. People felt that talking the time to set up a sniper shot, shooting one bullet and then missing with no chance to suppress was unfair. As stated, it'd be better to roll 1 RoF ammo die and possibly empty the mag to achieve Suppression, and if ammo is scarce that's not ideal.
Again, not unfair at all if the GM does their job and plays NPCs as sensible people who want to survive.

This is the problem with trying to do simulationism. It will always fail at some point; you end up chasing the goalposts at best or (more likely) breaking the thing that worked in the first place. When instead, you could take advantage of the truly great advantage of TTRPGs: the ability to apply common sense rather than computer thinking to a situation!

As you said, a carefully prepared sniper shot has a pretty good chance of hitting, even at long range, even in dim conditions, even with cover. This is exactly the situation pushing is for! If you still manage to mess all that up, well, maybe you messed it up so much that the bullet doesn't land even close.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

CherryC0p
Topic Author

Mon 14 Jun 2021, 22:19

Yeah, Exactly. I'm not disagreeing with anyone, simply bringing discussion from the discord server over to here.

Personally, I think its fine as is, but if people think every shot should have a chance to suppress on a miss, the 1 in 6 chance off a single d6 would be the easiest to manage on a table.
I do this in real life for fun on the weekends. #SurviveOmega #DoMoreWithLess

paladin2019

Tue 15 Jun 2021, 01:24

Slow aim is a +1, braced/ mounted is another +1, elevated another +1. Asuming the sniper on the group has the best Ranged or Agility, that can very quickly become a A+A, D12+D12 attack roll. Completely whiffing on even a pushed 2d12 roll is extremely unlikely.
Side question, another +1 when you're already at A+A gives you 1d12+1d12+1d6 for the task resolution, correct? I can't find an answer in the book

omnipus

Tue 15 Jun 2021, 02:47

Nope. 1D6 is the absolute minimum and 2D12 is the absolute upper limit.
Last edited by omnipus on Tue 15 Jun 2021, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

Ursus Maior

Tue 15 Jun 2021, 08:42

That would be in the Player's Manual, p. 45, the very last sentence.
liber & infractus