leonpoi
Topic Author

Which specialities cannot be obtained during character generation?

Thu 10 Jun 2021, 05:38

Just a quick question, I was wondering if anyone has sat down and looked through in detail to determine which specialities can’t be obtained during character generation?

I also want to make sure I am doing promotions correctly. I assume my skill test is attribute + skill as normal, and any success is a promotion and hence a new speciality. Is this correct? I’m finding encourage generation that almost always I’m getting promotions, but this could be because the attribute die has always been an A or B.

Jeremysbrain

Re: Which specialities cannot be obtained during character generation?

Thu 10 Jun 2021, 05:58

Archetypes p20 "Choose your starting specialty from the options listed under your archetype - or any specialty you like, if the Referee allows it."

Life Path p31 "If you roll a specialty you already have, choose any specialty you want instead."

So the answer to your question is all of them are available.

leonpoi
Topic Author

Thu 10 Jun 2021, 13:38

Great. Thanks - I had interpreted that as any speciality from the list that you don’t have

andresk

Thu 10 Jun 2021, 15:33

For lifepath I read it as "pick any you want from the list" as well.

Fenhorn

Thu 10 Jun 2021, 16:04

I do think it is meant that you choose any specialty from the same list. In the alpha you re-rolled if you got the same specialty twice, not you choose instead but still from the same list (you are doing the same career). At least that is how I interpret it.

But making a character with the life path system is a bit like a roleplaying mini-game. Sure a basic structure and foundation is nice and all, but sometimes you may allow for an adjustment, if the adjustment fits the narrative for the character.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

CherryC0p

Fri 11 Jun 2021, 23:42

The Specialty Redleg is only available to the Gunner Archetype, and can't be obtained via Lifepath.

Archer is only available to the Kid Archetype, and can't be obtained via Lifepath.

Vehicle Gunner, Diver, Pitcher, Reloader, and Forward Observer aren't available at all.

As stated above by someone else, you can always work with your Referee to pick an appropriate Specialty for your character, for both Archetypes and Lifepath steps.
I do this in real life for fun on the weekends. #SurviveOmega #DoMoreWithLess

leonpoi
Topic Author

Sat 12 Jun 2021, 08:21

Makes sense - I don’t think archer is available either

I’d considered making the specialities a d8 and adding a few to get these skills on the list, e.g. the skills might include

Picture = working class
Archer = small town
Reloaded + forward observer = combat arms
Diver = special operations

Etc

It’s probably easier just to note that those specialities are not available if you are choosing remember they are on the list too