baldrick0712
Topic Author

Rejoining Military after Interim Civilian Term

Tue 08 Jun 2021, 22:29

Hi all,

I am writing a program to generate random characters using the Lifepath system. It's early days yet but here's an example of this program's output (see below). I haven't implemented promotions yet but my question is this. Would it be allowed for a character to join the military for a term, leave for a civilian term, then rejoin the military for several more terms? If it is allowed, would they rejoin with their previous rank, or something equivalent to it for a different military service branch, or would they start at the bottom? As a follow-on question, as a player would you stay in the military for a number of terms rather than do this weird dropping in and out of the military? I can see it being useful to gain an education so as to rejoin as an officer but not sure what other reasons make sense to do this. [EDIT] Even leaving for an education makes little sense as presumably you'd do that first and then join the military as an officer (if ability scores good enough).

[EDIT] Ultimately I not only want to follow the Lifepath rules but also implement a kind of AI that would make sensible choices about which careers to take, skills to acquire, etc.

Abilities:
- - STR: C; AGL: B; INT: C; EMP: D; CUF: D
Skills:
- - Close Combat: C, Ranged Combat: A, Medical Aid: D, Recon: D, Tech: D
Specialties:
- - Mechanic
Background...
- - Childhood: Working Class
Careers:
- - Combat Service Support, PFC (6 years)
- - Education: Liberal Arts (3 years)
- - Combat Arms, PFC (5 years)
- - Combat Support, PFC (2 years)
- - Special Operations, PFC (2 years)
- - Education: Sciences (3 years)

Viperion_NZ

Re: Rejoining Military after Interim Civilian Term

Wed 09 Jun 2021, 00:48

I know you said you haven't implemented promotions yet but even so the output is one Specialty short; you get one for your Background Term and one for your War Term, at least

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Wed 09 Jun 2021, 01:13

I know you said you haven't implemented promotions yet but even so the output is one Specialty short; you get one for your Background Term and one for your War Term, at least
Yeah, haven't implemented the war term yet either. The coding is complex, what with officers being able to pick from both skill columns ("Officer" and their branch) plus everyone being able to increase general skills like Driving, not to mention Corporal and above NCOs being allowed to add Command to their skills list, all of which needs a degree of randomness. Promotions is next on the list, which is why I need to consider starting rank when you leave the military and then come back. I am tempted to just not allow it but it would limit the potential character background uniqueness - such as ex forces guy getting into Special Operations later in life after a spell away in civi street (Why did he leave? What made him rejoin? All good background material).

omnipus

Wed 09 Jun 2021, 02:02

Would it be allowed for a character to join the military for a term, leave for a civilian term, then rejoin the military for several more terms? If it is allowed, would they rejoin with their previous rank, or something equivalent to it for a different military service branch, or would they start at the bottom?
Of course. I know lots of guys who have done this, for lots of reasons. They deployed, got sick of it, got out, realized they missed it, got back in. Or got out, realized their skills fit better in the mil world than civilian. Or the military offered them some incentive to rejoin. Or like you said, they went and got a master's or something so they could go back in as an officer. Or, they got out and just stayed in the Reserves.

If you think about it, this is actually almost inevitable anyway: if you do a military career, then switch to a civvie one, what happens in the end? You get drafted back in for the war term.

paladin2019

Wed 09 Jun 2021, 02:50

And the question of your rank on returning is a matter for the individual military's personnel policies. For simplicity's sake, I would just say the same rank or the new branch's starting rank, whichever is higher.

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Wed 09 Jun 2021, 15:54

My program highlighted another "funny" that I would like people's take on...

To take the "Police Officer" career, none of your previously taken careers can be from the "Crime" careers section.
To take the "Detective" or "SWAT" career, you have to have first taken the "Police Officer" career.
However, it's fine for you to take "Police Officer", then "Burglar", then "Detective" or "SWAT"

cheeplives

Wed 09 Jun 2021, 16:13

My program highlighted another "funny" that I would like people's take on...

To take the "Police Officer" career, none of your previously taken careers can be from the "Crime" careers section.
To take the "Detective" or "SWAT" career, you have to have first taken the "Police Officer" career.
However, it's fine for you to take "Police Officer", then "Burglar", then "Detective" or "SWAT"
I could read that as a stint as an undercover cop...

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Wed 09 Jun 2021, 17:11

So as a promising young Police Officer you infiltrated the Mob for a few years working undercover until your cover was blown and you got seconded to SWAT to take them down. I like it!

baldrick0712
Topic Author

Wed 09 Jun 2021, 21:19

Another corner case...

If I join a branch of the military for a term, my first skill increase must be "Ranged Combat" (boot camp basic training).
If I now leave the military, spend a term in education, then re-enlist, do I have to go through boot camp again?

I think the answer would be "yes" and this is what the program is doing now.

omnipus

Wed 09 Jun 2021, 21:40

No. You only have to do it once.

I also think the police/crime thing is kind of counter-intuitive. My ruling is you can't have been CAUGHT.