Dijon
Topic Author

Alpha Combat

Mon 07 Jun 2021, 17:10

Looking at various Youtube videos regarding T2K there seems to have been a difference between Alpha and Beta in how NPC groups engage in ranged combat. For the Beta it looks similar to the process used in Alien where up to three NPCs can "help" the shooter. I can't find an example of how it was done in Alpha, other than a comment to the effect that NPCs beyond the first only add their ammo dice, but he goes on to shoot with the NPCs separately. From what I've seen, the ammo dice are a really interesting mechanic, and I was wondering if someone could clarify the differences between Alpha and Beta. I would also be curious to know if the Beta is what made it into the final version.

Fenhorn

Re: Alpha Combat

Mon 07 Jun 2021, 17:40

Getting help with a skill rolls existed in the alpha rules as well. It is a very handy way to dealing with a bunch of NPCs, but to be honest, I can't say that I have seen it much in the actual plays I have seen (regardless of YZE-game).

In the alpha, the simplified way of handling NPCs and ranged combat was that one NPCs shoots and the other adds ammo dice to that. How ammo dice works have been changed a little bit from alpha to beta and now instead you use the help rule NPC ranged combat instead of adding more ammo dice (just like for any other skill roll).

* There are only small changes between the beta and the finalized version.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Dijon
Topic Author

Mon 07 Jun 2021, 17:50

Thanks. Do you remember why it was changed in Beta? Ammo dice just seem so cool :)
I would assume that the Alpha was closer to the original author's vision of how combat would play out.

Fenhorn

Mon 07 Jun 2021, 18:10

Thanks. Do you remember why it was changed in Beta? Ammo dice just seem so cool :)
I would assume that the Alpha was closer to the original author's vision of how combat would play out.
Not necessary. The alpha version of the rules are a rough draft of the rules and changes made are just adjustments based on alpha-feedback and their own play-testing.

The difference between the alpha and the finalized version with ammo dice is that they are better now. In the alpha, ammo dice can be used to cause additional hits on the primary target or on a secondary target and of course hitting or not, any ammo dice hit can cause suppression. In the finalized rules, ammo dice can also be used to increase damage to another of your hits. This makes ammo dice much better now and much more versatile than they where in the alpha (where they could only cause weapon damage and just because of that couldn't crit a target).

So the difference between the alpha and beta is mainly that you can do one more thing with them (increase damage) than they could do in the alpha.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore