paladin2019

Re: Single and burst fire?

Wed 09 Jun 2021, 07:25

3. The intent of the 3-round burst is to create a 400m shotgun' to increase the probability that one of the three rounds will find its target. Multiple hits from a 3-round burst are not intended or expected. It is simulated perfectly well with the expenditure of a single ammo die.
How so when you only count a success on the ammo die if you roll one or more successes on the base dice?
I'm not sure I understand the question.

andresk

Wed 09 Jun 2021, 07:58

How so when you only count a success on the ammo die if you roll one or more successes on the base dice?
Because that's not what ammo dice are for
The attribute and skill dice narrate your characters proficiency, the ammo dice narrate the situation.
The ammo dice are meant to simulate an increased volume of fire going downrange. If "downrange" is some hopped-up insurgent hip-firing an mg into the sunset somewhere in the general vicinity of the enemy, that increased fire is not going to do anything. Anyone with B + B or higher AGL and ranged combat will succeed 3/4 times and at least 93% when pushing rolls. Anyone under B + B should probably not be in any special forces unit anyhow. B + B also allows for up to 4 successes on the base die, regardless of how many ammo dice you use or do not. If you absolutely must not use ammo dice for some reason, just use the single shots rule.

baldrick0712

Wed 09 Jun 2021, 08:19

3. The intent of the 3-round burst is to create a 400m shotgun' to increase the probability that one of the three rounds will find its target. Multiple hits from a 3-round burst are not intended or expected. It is simulated perfectly well with the expenditure of a single ammo die.
I'm not sure I understand the question.
No amount of ammo dice rolled will create this 400m increased hit probability shotgun you are talking about. Your chance to hit will be completely unchanged.
You say multiple hits are not intended but that's exactly what ammo dice do. Each ammo die rolled has the chance to cause more damage OR additional hits!
You say expenditure of a single ammo die simulates this 400m shotgun but it clearly does not.

paladin2019

Wed 09 Jun 2021, 10:10

No amount of ammo dice rolled will create this 400m increased hit probability shotgun you are talking about.
That's because it's a pipe dream, an ineffective materiel solution for an intractable training problem. It would never work without, maybe, something like the G11. But rolling the ammo die does simulate the effect.

cheeplives

Wed 09 Jun 2021, 15:52

No amount of ammo dice rolled will create this 400m increased hit probability shotgun you are talking about. Your chance to hit will be completely unchanged.
You say multiple hits are not intended but that's exactly what ammo dice do. Each ammo die rolled has the chance to cause more damage OR additional hits!
You say expenditure of a single ammo die simulates this 400m shotgun but it clearly does not.
You're right, the chance to hit doesn't change, but it does create a chance for Suppression, which is still a victory condition in a firefight...if you can't hit them, at least keep them from firing back effectively.

BradClark68

Sun 13 Jun 2021, 19:00

On the wider history of automatic fire, I think in some ways the greater prevalence of automatic weapons on the modern battlefield was due to a study of WWII soldiers that found they were more likely to fire their weapon if it was automatic than if single-shot, so it was an attempt to get more soldiers to do something positive in a battle, even if it was just to "spray n' pray".
I wonder if that study is truly accurate though? Take example Commonwealth soldiers. The majority of them carried bolt action Lee Enfields. That study I think would be more applicable to US troops.