andresk
Topic Author

Comprehensive vehicle sheet

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 16:05

Took some time, but managed to get all of the vehicles included in the beta rules into an actual table.
The current version only includes the stats as they are presented in the rulebook, any discrepancies are typos (please do point them out if you notice any).
As Omnipus suggested, a column was added for cargo capacity that does not include passengers.

Why do this?
1) As many people either play RPGs online or use a computer during tabletop sessions for help, it seemed like a reasonable thing to do in order to have all the stats in a single table, removing the need to jump between different pages of the manual.
2) As discussed in the Vehicle Cargo - Alpha/Beta Feedback thread, I'm not the only one that seems to think some of the stats are a bit off. The end goal would be to add other sheets to the document besides "Vanilla BETA" (and hopefully the release version as well when it launches) that will allow to tweak the stats, add other vehicles and share it for anyone that wishes to use it.
3) The tables in the manual are in a PDF, there's no easy way to copy all that into an actual table. From this table you can if you want to.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
The document is read only, but if you copy it for your own google account, you should be able to edit it as well.

I'll be taking a closer look at the stats to try and figure out what and how to change when I have time for it, but in the meanwhile other thoughts and opinions are welcome.
Last edited by andresk on Sun 25 Apr 2021, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

andresk
Topic Author

Re: Comprehensive vehicle sheet

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 16:58

I added sheets to insert 2e data and another one to display the converted results. The results seem... interesting. If anyone feels like adding all of the 2e data on their own, let me know. If you share it with me, I can pop it into the public sheet. But for the time being I'll leave it at the few test entries.

omnipus

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 19:19

Ah, nice. Thanks for putting that together. Those are using the new conversion rules in the back of the beta?
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

andresk
Topic Author

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 19:47

Those are using the new conversion rules in the back of the beta?
Yes, you feed in the data from the "2e RAW" sheet and it gets converted into the "2e Conversion Results" table. From there you can later copy the values into a new table for further tweaking (have to use "Paste special -> "Values only", otherwise it will copy the conversion formulas).

However the conversions for speeds seem way off and fuel consumption does not scale well for smaller vehicles with smaller consumption. Other values seemed to make sense more or less, the main being cargo capacity, that hit relatively close to the existing 4e vehicles (speaking of those with actual cargo capacity, not the ones that only fit the crew). So if nothing else, at least the cargo capacity conversion could work out to provide some better values for the existing vehicles.
I'm still trying to work out what combat and travel speed conversions would provide sensible results, but it's tricky as 5-10 seconds and 5-10 hours leaves a lot of wiggle room to just compare the values to real life vehicle travel speeds.

andresk
Topic Author

Sun 25 Apr 2021, 12:25

I think I've found a satisfactory conversion formula for combat speed that more or less makes sense. Both lower and higher speed vehicles now more or less match what is already presented in 4e. There are some outliers like the HEMTT for example and most vehicles have slightly lower off-road speeds, but these are more about innate differences between 2e and 4e stats.
The conversion in the manual (pictured below in yellow) - RoundDown(x/7) gives us a linear scale that starts way too low for most of the off-road speeds and then shoots into space, giving the higher end of fast vehicles 8 speed in combat (native 4e vehicles don't go over 6). So using a rounded down square root conversion (pictured below in blue) helps change this curvve into something more workable and resembling the 4e stats.
Further subtracting 1 (pictured below in red) gives us top speeds of 6 rather than 8. This gave reasonable results for mostly all vehicles. One thing worth mentioning is that it might be a good idea to use a separate formula for off-road speeds, as 4e off-road speeds are generally higher relative to the normal speed. Using the same SquareRoot(x)-1 formula, but rounding up instead of down seems fitting based on a few glances at the results, it gives a bit more curve early on, resulting in off-road values closer to 4e.

Edit: Just to clarify that I'm not trying to say I found the holy grail here or anything, but I think it's a much better starting point for conversions than the vanilla 4e conversion rule.

Now on to travel speed and fuel consumption.

andresk
Topic Author

Sun 25 Apr 2021, 16:56

I believe that the 2e to 4e conversion formulas have now been tweaked to a point where they produce mostly satisfactory results "out of the box".
I won't go over everything here, but the thought process and results of testing can be seen on the "Tests and findings" sheet with comments added.

The public sheet now has another "2e conversion results" sheet with the tweaked formulas. The vanilla conversion results sheet is still up and both gather data from the same raw data sheet, so you can easily switch between the two sheets to see the differences in stats. I'll be taking a little breather and maybe start entering more of the 2e data at some point, see what it churns out from the other side. And from there it's on to tweaking the vanilla 4e stats and adding in new vehicles.
I also updated the access link so anyone should be able to leave comments now.

andresk
Topic Author

Thu 29 Apr 2021, 23:14

I added the WIP tweaked values sheet to the public document.
Most of the resulting stats are a compromise between 4e, 2e conversions and actual data conversions. If something seems very off, please do let me know.
I will add updates and more 2e vehicles when I get the time to get around to it.

Angelus1753

Fri 30 Apr 2021, 10:43

Are the developers actually doing something with this data?
I don't see any response to this (and many other) brilliant topic. I'm worried... We want the best of the best Rulebook :)