CherryC0p

Re: Simple example ranged combat

Wed 05 May 2021, 02:20

Yeah it says that the magazine is emptied. So if you have 1 round left, RAW, you can technically roll 1 ammo die hoping for that extra 6.

If you have 6 rounds, you can roll up to 6 ammo dice (depending on your ROF), but you'll only get 1 extra success even if you roll multiple 6's. You'll just remove extra rolled 6's from that pool. All other numbers stay. Ovbiously this is super risky and you have an equal chance to roll mishaps.
I do this in real life for fun on the weekends. #SurviveOmega #DoMoreWithLess

andresk

Wed 05 May 2021, 02:37

What happens if the total of ammo spent on the ammo dice exceeds the amount of ammo in the clip? (I presume the clip is emptied; no adjustment to the roll required.)
Yeah I think this has been clarified since alpha that you just empty the magazine. The ammo dice dynamic was already reworked from alpha to beta and it seems a lot better now.
If you have 6 rounds, you can roll up to 6 ammo dice (depending on your ROF), but you'll only get 1 extra success even if you roll multiple 6's. You'll just remove extra rolled 6's from that pool. All other numbers stay. Ovbiously this is super risky and you have an equal chance to roll mishaps.
That's not how I'm understanding the rules. Going by the rules, with 6 rounds left and rolling 6 times 6 you get 1+6 successes and can get a max of 6 hits (or any combination of hits and extra damage below 6 hits)

paladin2019

Wed 05 May 2021, 03:06

Yeah it says that the magazine is emptied. So if you have 1 round left, RAW, you can technically roll 1 ammo die hoping for that extra 6.

The rules don't say you remove dice like Alpha does, just that you empty the magazine.

CherryC0p

Wed 05 May 2021, 05:06

That's not how I'm understanding the rules. Going by the rules, with 6 rounds left and rolling 6 times 6 you get 1+6 successes and can get a max of 6 hits (or any combination of hits and extra damage below 6 hits)
You're correct, I misread. It seems like the intent is to count Sucesses (first) as 1 round each hitting the target, tally those up, then tally the rest of the ammo spent, if there are rounds left in the pool/magazine.

It's another example of rules needing to be clarified.
I do this in real life for fun on the weekends. #SurviveOmega #DoMoreWithLess

Fenhorn

Wed 05 May 2021, 05:26

Didn't Tomas cleared this up with:
We will make some clarifications, and slight modifications:
  • You can never roll more ammo dice than the number of rounds left in the magazine.
  • You can never hit more targets than the number than the number of rounds left in the magazine.
  • Amount of spent ammo is equal to total on your ammo dice, but you always spend at least one round of ammo (even when rolling zero ammo dice).
I believe this sorts it out.

Meaning if you have an M16A1 with only 4 rounds left in the magazine, you can only use 4 ammo dice. You can only hit 4 targets in this attack and you spend the number of bullets equal to whatever the ammo dice shows and if that is 4 or more, you just empty the magazine.

So if you are really lucky with this example attack and you roll 2 successes with your base dice and also 4 successes with your ammo dice (all four are 6s). Technically according to the rules this could result in you shooting five potential targets. The base dice hits your main target and each of the 4 ammo dice hits a target, but according to Tomas clarification, you can't hit more targets than the number of bullets fired so one of the successes here must be used to increase damage instead.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Viperion_NZ

Wed 05 May 2021, 07:43

• You can never hit more targets than the number than the number of rounds left in the magazine.
A clarification, if I may:

I have two rounds left in my magazine, so I can choose to roll two ammo dice in addition to my skill and attribute dice. Being a Certified Badass(tm), I roll 10, 12, 6, 6 (six hits!)

Does this mean I can hit one target for base+5 damage, or two targets with base+3 and base+1, without losing any of those dice (I sure hope so!)? Or do I have to remove the two ammo "6"s?

paladin2019

Wed 05 May 2021, 07:44

Does this mean I can hit one target for base+5 damage, or two targets with base+3 and base+1, without losing any of those dice (I sure hope so!)? Or do I have to remove the two ammo "6"s?
There's nothing about dropping dice down to the total number of shots fired like in Alpha. That rule went away.

Viperion_NZ

Wed 05 May 2021, 07:54

Right, yeah, gotcha

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 05 May 2021, 08:27

Didn't Tomas cleared this up with:
We will make some clarifications, and slight modifications:
  • You can never roll more ammo dice than the number of rounds left in the magazine.
  • Amount of spent ammo is equal to total on your ammo dice, but you always spend at least one round of ammo (even when rolling zero ammo dice).
I believe this sorts it out.

Meaning if you have an M16A1 with only 4 rounds left in the magazine, you can only use 4 ammo dice. You can only hit 4 targets in this attack and you spend the number of bullets equal to whatever the ammo dice shows and if that is 4 or more, you just empty the magazine.

So if you are really lucky with this example attack and you roll 2 successes with your base dice and also 4 successes with your ammo dice (all four are 6s). Technically according to the rules this could result in you shooting five potential targets. The base dice hits your main target and each of the 4 ammo dice hits a target, but according to Tomas clarification, you can't hit more targets than the number of bullets fired so one of the successes here must be used to increase damage instead.
Exactly. I don't feel that this is unclear. (And if you feel hitting four targets with a burst of four rounds of ammo seems unlikely, it certainly is - rolling three or more 6s on four D6s is a 1.62% chance).
Fria Ligan