Fenhorn

Re: Beta - Combat Actions/Reactions

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 20:24

<>
Here's a related question, if I ambush someone with a physical attack, do they get to block? The RAW doesn't state I'm reading that RAW would allow the reaction Block. What if I ambush someone with a Grenade? Do they still get the reaction to jump away/on it?
p.60 Effect
<> Also, your target cannot block an ambush attack
Based on this, I would same the same with the grenade. It wouldn't be much of an ambush otherwise.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

CherryC0p

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 20:26

Here's a related question, if I ambush someone with a physical attack, do they get to block? The RAW doesn't state I'm reading that RAW would allow the reaction Block. What if I ambush someone with a Grenade? Do they still get the reaction to jump away/on it?
Blocking breaks Turn Order, and the Diving away or onto the grenade isn't an action. It just happens as a result of the attack.
I do this in real life for fun on the weekends. #SurviveOmega #DoMoreWithLess

cheeplives
Topic Author

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 20:30

p.60 Effect
Based on this, I would same the same with the grenade. It wouldn't be much of an ambush otherwise.
Thanks, I missed that...

As far as the grenade, I could see either way on this...

Fenhorn

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 20:34

p.60 Effect
Thanks, I missed that...

As far as the grenade, I could see either way on this...
Yeah, perhaps. Grenades are not the best ambush weapons.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

andresk

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 20:38

Agreed with Welsh here, the whole round takes place during the same 5-10 seconds. His explanation of what is and isn't a reaction and why makes perfect sense to me at least. The melee attack and grenade don't carry over to the next round (or even into the next turn of the round), so the character would have to react then and there. A firefight and/or incoming fire is an ongoing situation. Adding in more things you can do whenever would further complicate the "special case" issue brought up earlier.
My drill was "contact direction" -> return fire -> find nearest cover or concealment -> bury your nose in the moss and yell for whoever to point out the enemy
So in an ambush situation it would play out as follows.
1) Group is fired upon by the ambushers
2) Slow action of return fire, fast action of move into closest cover, free action of drop to the ground

In case of "drop whenever" it would go like this
1) First shot fired at group, everyone drops prone
2) Remaining enemies shoot at prone group
3a) Slow action of return fire, fast action of crawl
3b) Fast action of stand up, fast action of run, free action of go prone again

I know which situation seems more like weird AI in a videogame and which one resembles actual counter-ambush drills. I know a few boneheads that chose to lie down in the middle of the kill-zone during excercise maneuvers, but that isn't the norm. Yes I understand that if you're say walking along a ditch it would make sense, but going prone is already a free action. The round is simultaneous, you will be able to go prone during those first 5-10 seconds in any case.

welsh

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 20:54

At a purely conceptual level, without reference to the rules, a melee attack made as an "ambush" implies that the victim doesn't see it coming. You're hitting them from behind or with complete surprise. So it would not make sense that they can block it.

Same with a grenade ... even given that the thing will take a couple of seconds to explode, you don't expect a grenade to come your way, don't know it's a grenade....

All that said, one aspect of the ambush rules I don't like is that all the ambushers get the higher initiative, so all the ambushers automatically get to fire before anyone can react. I would be inclined to just use normal initiative, so that some of the ambushers may be slow on the trigger and some of the ambushees may be quicker to react. The ambushers are already getting a favorable DM.

CherryC0p

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 20:59

In case of "drop whenever" it would go like this
1) First shot fired at group, everyone drops prone
2) Remaining enemies shoot at prone group
3a) Slow action of return fire, fast action of crawl
3b) Fast action of stand up, fast action of run, free action of go prone again
The issue with that is if a player gets suppressed, they drop prone anyway. Getting caught out in the open sucks, but with the option to drop prone as a reaction to being Passing CUF you can go prone and crawl to cover and then enter it. Seek Cover has no stance prerequisite, so you could enter cover from being prone, you just would then stand or crouch behind it.

It would only really help if there were multiple groups of enemies that had different initiatives. otherwise it would be no different than dropping prone on your turn and crawling instead of running.
I do this in real life for fun on the weekends. #SurviveOmega #DoMoreWithLess

andresk

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 21:22

The issue with that is if a player gets suppressed, they drop prone anyway.
From my point of view all the rules that force players into prone are a hindrence as it forces you either into LOS cover or prone out in the open. Other than the fact that any enemies in the initiative order between that "forced to prone" reaction and your turn do not get the negative modifiers for hitting you, you in any case get a chance to return more accurate fire.
Let's take a few situations. (FA-fast action, SA-slow action FrA-free action)
1) Attacked while walking in a ditch
a) You are forced prone
- FA stand up
- SA shoot
- FrA prone
b) You are standing
- FA aim
- SA shoot
- FrA prone
Being already stood up gives you a better chance to return fire

2) You are attacked out in the open
a) You are forced prone
- FA stand up
- FA run into cover
- FrA prone
or
- SA shoot
- FA crawl
You may not have reached cover
b) You are standing
- SA shoot
- FA run into cover
- FrA prone

The second case can be argued to be more beneficial in prone because you already were prone for several turns if you choose only to aim and fire and not move, but that already implies you were comfortable with staying just out in the middle of the kill zone, which seems odd.

paladin2019

Sun 25 Apr 2021, 02:38

It is a little strange that you can explicitly block attacks (for instance) outside of your turn, but you cannot go prone -- which is frankly the instinctive response (even when undesirable!) of most people being shot at... especially if they didn't expect it to happen!
The instinctive response is to try to find the source of the noise. Going prone is a trained response.

omnipus

Sun 25 Apr 2021, 23:44

Okay, fine. If we're splitting hairs, then "the instinctive response of someone trained to survive gunfights" which, I think it is safe to say, describes probably an overwhelming majority of PCs (and maybe NPCs) left in this world.

The other trained response is to return fire at high volume into an ambush before doing anything else, then counter-assault into it. Regardless of whether you have pinpointed the source or not.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG