Viperion_NZ

Re: Beta - Combat Actions/Reactions

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 04:38

Piggybacking on this a bit, but it is relevant the topic:
Have a Grenade land in their hex, and choose to drop prone (Not good, but there's some player choice here)
What's the point of that? Does going prone save you from some damage at all? (You're about to go prone because you're in an explosion anyway, so why do it voluntarily?)

cheeplives
Topic Author

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 05:05

Have a Grenade land in their hex, and choose to drop prone (Not good, but there's some player choice here)
What's the point of that? Does going prone save you from some damage at all? (You're about to go prone because you're in an explosion anyway, so why do it voluntarily?)
On page 70 it's listed as one of your options if a Grenade lands in your hex. You can make a Mobility roll to Drop Prone as a reaction. On page 68, if you are Prone in an explosion hex, damage is shifted down one step.

Viperion_NZ

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 05:11

On page 68, if you are Prone in an explosion hex, damage is shifted down one step.
Aaaah that's the bit I was missing. Thank you :)

cheeplives
Topic Author

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 05:21

On page 68, if you are Prone in an explosion hex, damage is shifted down one step.
Aaaah that's the bit I was missing. Thank you :)
Yeah, I can't decide if the rules are super scattered or if I just need a few more read-throughs. I have to say that finding information has been annoying (frex, I still can't remember where in the book it first lays out the differences between Rounds/Stretches/Shifts... it's like in chapter 2, I think? and then slightly different rules for them in Chapter 6...)

I see how/why it's laid out... you describe things as you introduce them, but either they need some more referrals to rules or some kind of summary of things that tidies things up some... to do combat you have the whole combat chapter, plus some stuff on Weather buried in the Travel section, as well as stuff in the Character Gen Section.

andresk

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 10:12

I see how/why it's laid out... you describe things as you introduce them, but either they need some more referrals to rules or some kind of summary of things that tidies things up some.
That's what I've been thinking. A lot of the rules describing things related to a single action/situation are found in 3 different places and often times even in different chapters. At one point I went through the whole manual trying to find the time units and in the end found they were put in the beginning before everything else thanks to the index pages.

paladin2019

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 17:45

Because ground bursts go up, then out. Dropping prone can get you below the brunt of the explosion. That's the real world basis for the battle drill and that's why it's reflected in the rules.

Tomas
Site Admin

Tue 04 May 2021, 17:38

The actions you *are* permitted on a turn other than your own make sense. Block an attack? Sure, because initiative let the other character get the drop on you, but this doesn't imply he gets to hit you for free -- you can see it coming and get a chance to block it. Go prone when a grenade thrown into your hex? Sure, because a grenade lands and sits there for a second before it explodes, and you can react.

But dropping prone when under fire is not analogous to blocking a blow. The first inkling you will have that you are under fire will be the bullet cracking past you, and in a prepared ambush there is not going to be much delay before every ambusher is raining fire down on you. Again, combat actions should be treated as near-simultaneous unless there is some good reason otherwise, because in the real world we don't take turns.
Exactly this. Blocking is allowed out of turn because you can see the blow come and block it. When a hand grenade lands near you, you have a chance to drop down before it blows. You can't see a bullet coming and go prone before it reaches you. Allowing people to go prone out of turn at any time would get very messy, and create more problems that it solves.
Fria Ligan

leonpoi

Wed 05 May 2021, 02:28

This makes sense to me
The actions you *are* permitted on a turn other than your own make sense. Block an attack? Sure, because initiative let the other character get the drop on you, but this doesn't imply he gets to hit you for free -- you can see it coming and get a chance to block it. Go prone when a grenade thrown into your hex? Sure, because a grenade lands and sits there for a second before it explodes, and you can react.

But dropping prone when under fire is not analogous to blocking a blow. The first inkling you will have that you are under fire will be the bullet cracking past you, and in a prepared ambush there is not going to be much delay before every ambusher is raining fire down on you. Again, combat actions should be treated as near-simultaneous unless there is some good reason otherwise, because in the real world we don't take turns.
Exactly this. Blocking is allowed out of turn because you can see the blow come and block it. When a hand grenade lands near you, you have a chance to drop down before it blows. You can't see a bullet coming and go prone before it reaches you. Allowing people to go prone out of turn at any time would get very messy, and create more problems that it solves.