Makhfi

Re: Beta Feedback - Player's Manual Chapter 5 Gear

Mon 26 Apr 2021, 08:24

Page 129

Night Vision Goggles
"They allow night vision out to one hex (10 m), or up to two hexes when using the attached light"
Isn't the range a little short?
If it's only 10m then you should be able to see without night vision goggles.

I did a quick search and found this:
"For example, if you have a good quality Gen.3 device with 1X magnification lens, then at full moon you will be able to see a vehicle at about 1200m. If it was an overcast night operating distance would reduce by whopping 50%, down to 600m."

Birdie_Sparrow

Mon 26 Apr 2021, 19:38

Page 129

Night Vision Goggles
"They allow night vision out to one hex (10 m), or up to two hexes when using the attached light"
Isn't the range a little short?
If it's only 10m then you should be able to see without night vision goggles.

I did a quick search and found this:
"For example, if you have a good quality Gen.3 device with 1X magnification lens, then at full moon you will be able to see a vehicle at about 1200m. If it was an overcast night operating distance would reduce by whopping 50%, down to 600m."
Wow yeah that needs to be changed! I was in when the PVS-4 was still fairly new and I could make out moving people out to about 800m if conditions were perfect. NVGs should be something like 600m to detect people/1000m or so for vehicles. Then add/subtract any spotting modifiers.

omnipus

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 04:22

I think it's safe to assume that most nightvision in the game should be Gen 2, and Gen 3 should be very rare. Nonetheless, yes, those values are pretty far off the mark.

Here's what I've been doing in my own game -- NODs reduce night penalties by 1. So if you have NODs in dim light, you take no penalty (rather than -1). In dark conditions, you take -1 rather than -2. Spotting ranges I've given out to several hundred meters even in darkness. However, recognition ranges I've defined as significantly shorter than that -- usually no more than 50m or so. Very few NODs of the period had the kind of resolution you'd need to make out important details that would allow you to identify exactly who or what you are looking at. Beyond that range I sometimes allow for a Recon roll to ID, if conditions are good -- but even this with a penalty, if the person is unfamiliar with the NODs.

Things like IR searchlights negate basically all of these penalties and make most details quite clear out to a pretty good distance. Fortunately things like IR lasers and so forth are pretty much non-existent in this time period so there's basically no need to even mention them.

Should probably add to that the significant qualitative difference between eastern and western NODs of the time.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

cheeplives

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 05:16

Page 91 - Clarification
In the Scavenging for Parts section, you can scavenge items for parts and gain a number of parts of the appropriate type equal to successes rolled, but can gain no more parts than the item you're scavenging's Weight.

Does that mean you can't scavenge and inoperable pistol for weapon parts or walkie-talkie for electronic parts, since they have a weight of 1/2? Or should there be a minimum of 1 for any scavenging roll (with Referee approval)?

paladin2019

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 16:48

I always had Gen 3 night vision from '94 on. It's perfectly appropriate to the setting. Gen 3 weapon sights, however, would probably not be a thing.

omnipus

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 20:21

I guess there were plenty of PVS-7s around by then, true. Of course those come with their own problems that weren't solved until later. Nothing as usable and precise as the current idea that people might have in their heads (although out of that era of gear, I actually always preferred the clarity of PVS-5s and the dual tubes).

I'm not sure if any other country had accessible NODs in that time, other than starlight scopes and similar. The Warpac certainly didn't, not sure about other NATO nations but nothing leaps to mind.

paladin2019

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 20:29

There was often good-natured grumbling back then when folks came to play with us that we didn't sleep.

Note: 30 years of continuous and progressive development on passive nightvision is still classed as Gen 3.

omnipus

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 23:36

?

Fenhorn

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 23:42

Moderator Message: This is a feedback thread (see first post) so please don't debate things in this thread. Thanks.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

cheeplives

Wed 28 Apr 2021, 00:09

Page 91 - Clarification
Please either change the section "DAMAGE TO GEAR" to something closer to "GEAR DAMAGE AND REPAIR" or somehow mention the word Repair in the section. Also, add an Index entry for "Repair (Gear)" to page 91. Maybe also add a "see page 91" in the TECH skill section when talking about Repairs.

It was almost impossible to find the rules for repair.