omnipus

Re: Beta Feedback - Player's Manual Chapter 5 Gear

Sat 01 May 2021, 01:51

There isn't (unless I've somehow missed it, multiple times now) any sort of rule for composite armor on vehicles, correct? Most HEAT rounds have fairly equivalent stats to APFS versions, with the addition of an explosive blast characteristic, making them fundamentally as good or better in all situations against enemy armor.

Realistically, this is of course not the case, and HEAT rounds have been obsolete versus most modern tanks for some time (since the 1970s, really). Against their front armor especially, APFSDS rounds are the only viable option in most cases. And many older or light ATGWs and shoulder-fired rockets are totally ineffective against much of the front armor. Doesn't bother me too much, as this isn't a tank sim and I don't foresee my players driving a tank around shooting at other tanks very much... but it is "wrong" or at least a kind of important missed consideration, as well as one that emphasizes the significant qualitative differences between generations of tanks. Of course the portable AT weapon aspect gives dismounted PCs more of a fighting chance against a T-80, so maybe this is a balance concern? (But really the answer is "hide or run away!")

Another related thing: on all of the Soviet guns the HE rounds seem to have longer range than the others? Again, APFS rounds should have significantly higher velocity (and therefore range) in almost every case. This seems like a mistake to me, but maybe there's some logic to why that I just haven't thought of?
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

CWGamer

Sun 02 May 2021, 15:41

Page 128, the R-311 radio is missing its range.

CherryC0p

Sun 02 May 2021, 17:19

Page 131: Wild Food doesn't have a time listed for spoiling. Is this intentional? Why would one want to make domestic food out of wild food if its just going to spoil when the Wild doesn't. I get that its drastically saves space, but if a player has a base or stockpile, they can just load it up with wild food that apparently never goes bad?

Also, In chapter 6, it also states that the player gets food poisoning on a failed cooking roll, or for eating raw meat in the hunting section, but states wild food can be eaten raw. Wild food seems to have no drawbacks other than the space it takes up.
I do this in real life for fun on the weekends. #SurviveOmega #DoMoreWithLess

mlycka

Mon 03 May 2021, 01:10

Page 107-108, Grg m/48 had four different types of ammo in the period:

Pansarspränggranat: 200 m range (armor piercing, HEAP)
Spränggranat: 700 m range (high explosive, HE)
Rökgranat: 1 000 m range (smoke)
Lysgranat: 2 800 m range (flare)

Both the HE and HEAP are certainly relevant as combat ammo, and the weapon is very different depending on which ammo you use, both regarding range and damage.

omnipus

Tue 04 May 2021, 01:12

p91, Gun Care (& Vehicle Maintenance):
These callout boxes (new to the Beta, I believe) make it clear you need to continuously maintain your weapons & vehicles, or they will lose reliability. What is not clear now is whether doing repair on these items also counts as maintenance, counts only on a successful roll, or doesn't count at all. My ruling is that it counts as maintenance no matter what the outcome is, but the rules don't state.

CherryC0p

Tue 04 May 2021, 05:23

p91, Gun Care (& Vehicle Maintenance):
These callout boxes (new to the Beta, I believe) make it clear you need to continuously maintain your weapons & vehicles, or they will lose reliability. What is not clear now is whether doing repair on these items also counts as maintenance, counts only on a successful roll, or doesn't count at all. My ruling is that it counts as maintenance no matter what the outcome is, but the rules don't state.
These aren't new, they were in Alpha.

Repair will fix reliability, like from Jams or Mishaps, Maintenance is separate. However, once again we have a stupidly long amount of time required to tech a single weapon. 6 hours for maintenance on just 1 gun? Free League, please bring this in line with your new scavenging rules, let us do up to 4 per shift. Vehicles are fine for 1 per shift but gun maintenance time needs to be decreased, or allow for more guns to be worked on during that shift.

Interestingly, after reading the Gun Care section, it looks like it may already be what were asking for. "Every week in which you have used a firearms at least once, you must spend a shift servicing them and make a TECH roll..."

Which is it? A Firearm (singular) or Firearms (plural). The character sheet has 5 slots for weapons, so would plural mean that we can maintain 5 player held weapons in 1 shift, or all weapons the party may own at that time? My Squad took down two 10 man soviet patrols and has 20 AK-74s. Could all 20 (plus what the party had previously) be maintained in 1 shift by one person or collaboratively by the party as they sit around the campfire during a shift spent Resting?

CherryC0p

Tue 04 May 2021, 19:40

Page 91 and 94: Jury Rigging in regards to bows: There are no parts requirements for the Improvised bow, just the notation that it can be Jury Rigged.

Also Page 135, When crafting ammo, there is no mention of creating arrows, just bullets.

Also also, how many arrows are in 1 EU? My calculation for average arrow weights was 16, but that's for Arrows, not Crossbow Bolts (which this game doesn't seem to differentiate between)

omnipus

Tue 04 May 2021, 23:57

Well, I probably missed them because of the callout block formatting then, which causes more than a few issues like that in this book. It's a nice design element to break up the page, but it's never where I look for a primary rule reference! I see one of those and I think pull quote, or reminder, or helpful tip... not "hey there's going to be the only instance of an important rule in this strangely formatted block over here."

Basic maintenance on a weapon takes like 5-15 minutes max.

Not that I expected it to, but your answer still didn't really address my question. Does repair count as maintenance? I say it definitely does. But the rules need to say it as well.

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Wed 05 May 2021, 13:36

Gun care should be stretch, not shift. Gun care and vehicle maintenance are separate from repairs.
Fria Ligan

CherryC0p

Wed 05 May 2021, 17:39

Gun care should be stretch, not shift. Gun care and vehicle maintenance are separate from repairs.
Both Vic and guns currently say stretch (Page 91) Are they both going to become stretches? I'm not sure how long maintenance on a tank would take IRL, but i feel like its a bit more than 15 min.

Also in the Gun care note, it says the player must only "Make a Tech Roll". Maybe change that to "Pass a Tech Roll". The vehicle care one states "make a successful TECH roll" for reference, but the gun care box is smaller and adding the bigger word instead of replacing make with pass, will throw off the spacing