Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Beta Feedback - Player's Manual Chapter 6 Travel

Tue 20 Apr 2021, 15:09

Please use this thread to report any typos or errors in Chapter 6 - Travel in the Player's Manual of the Beta PDF. Rules to remember:
  • Before reporting an error, please check and see if it already has been reported, and if so, don't report it again.
  • If you want to discuss or feedback something that is not a clear error, don't do it here - instead, please start a new forum post the specific issue.
  • If you feedbacked on something in the Alpha PDF and it's not changed in the Beta, it's there by choice - we have carefully studied all of the Alpha feedback, so please do NOT feedback on the exact same thing again, unless it's a clear typo or error.
  • Please report your feedback no later than May 1. After this date, we are unlikely to be able to make any further changes.
Fria Ligan

Rasmus Nord

Re: Beta Feedback - Player's Manual Chapter 6 Travel

Wed 21 Apr 2021, 14:30

Pg. 138/139.

What you could and couldn't do while you are travelling was a point that came up in all the Live games I watched. I'm sure you watched them too.

I can see the logic intended in the rules: that marching is a task, and therefore, unless stated otherwise, you can't do one of the other tasks on the list. In Forbidden Lands, it is just clearer to me as a reader what you can and can't do while marching. In the Live games, it always seemed logical to the players that they could hunt or scrounge at the same time as they are marching, but that is not what the rules intend.

I think you can express more clearly, that the only thing you can do while marching, is scouting. That you need to spend a shift in the same hex for the other tasks. Perhaps as an example sentence, or by including a "Can't be done while marching." in the list on pg 139. Or add it to the detailed description of each task, because players will be looking for it. Or perhaps change the overall rule description to (my italics): "You cannot perform more than one task in the same shift, including marching, unless stated otherwise."

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Wed 21 Apr 2021, 14:33

I believe this is fairly clear now, page 138 in the PM states: "You cannot perform more than one task in the same shift, unless stated otherwise." And the only stated exception stated on page 139 is keeping watch while marching (for one character).
Fria Ligan

Rasmus Nord

Wed 21 Apr 2021, 17:28

Unless ofc you want to leave room for future options, would it not be simpler to say that: "You cannot perform more than one task in the same shift, with the exception of marching and keeping watch."? I think you avoid players looking for exceptions when they just try to do their "thing", when it is really only one instance.

It is a nit pick. And not a typo ofc. But as a reader, I needed to deconstruct it, and not just read and immediately understand.

But great job, in any case with the whole thing. :)

Over and out!

cheeplives

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 06:34

Page 140 - Typo
Weather paragraph:

"If you fail, your base movement for this shift is reduced by one hex (which can be mean..."
Remove the "be"

Page 143 Typo
Scrounging section second paragraph
"Scavenging one ore more items..."
"ore" should be "or"
Last edited by cheeplives on Sat 24 Apr 2021, 07:10, edited 1 time in total.

cheeplives

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 06:53

Page 142 - Clarification
A character can spend a shift gathering 30 EU (15 in winter) of materials for a still. Is this considered Foraging? Scrounging? Something else? If it's Foraging or Scrounging are these EU in addition to what you get for Foraging/Scrounging or in lieu of? The example makes it seem like it's it's own type of action, but it's not listed on the Task List.

Page 143 - Clarification
Again, we find in Scrounging another unlisted Task of Scavenging. Should that be added to the task list, or combined with the Scrounging task? Can people Scavenge simultaneously to someone Scrounging or does the scrounging need to be done first to find it?

Page 146 - Clarification
Foraging: Can one person forage for food and another for water without running afoul of the "Only one character can roll for Foraging" rule?
Also, there is mention of converting Wild Food to Domestic Food, but no rules or guidelines, just a reference back to the Gear description of Wild/Domestic Food. Should it instead refer to the Cooking section (page 148)

Page 148 - Clarification
City Travel. What is the effect of city travel on fuel usage?

andresk

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 09:19

Page 148 - Clarification
City Travel. What is the effect of city travel on fuel usage?
"However, as cities are often more crowded and travel in a city is slower, each 1-kilometer hex in a city is counted just like a 10-kilometer hex for the purposes of both travel speed and encounter frequency."
Based on this it would seem it's 10x higher than normal fuel usage. Might seem a bit drastic, but when factoring in ruined streets, wrecks and barrcades, collapsed buildings and destroyed bridges etc. it's probably not that far off.

cheeplives

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 14:53

"However, as cities are often more crowded and travel in a city is slower, each 1-kilometer hex in a city is counted just like a 10-kilometer hex for the purposes of both travel speed and encounter frequency."
Based on this it would seem it's 10x higher than normal fuel usage. Might seem a bit drastic, but when factoring in ruined streets, wrecks and barrcades, collapsed buildings and destroyed bridges etc. it's probably not that far off.
That mentions travel speed and encounters, not fuel usage, which is why I asked for clarification.

marroon69

Mon 26 Apr 2021, 19:46

Page 139 Clarification
Maybe it is just me but I am trying to understand the passage below...I am assuming you are talking about 10k hexes since this in the travel section (which seems weird)? or are these 10 m hexes during combat (would make more sense) ?

1. FAIR WEATHER: Maximum visibility in darkness is 10 hexes (15 with strong moonlight).
2. CLOUDY: Cloud cover reduces visibility during the dark shifts of the day to 5 hexes.
3. HEAVY RAIN/SNOW: Limits visibility to 20 hexes in the daytime and 5 hexes at night. Gives a –1 modifier to all ranged attacks. Requires a STAMINA check for marching
(below) and gives a –2 modifier to DRIVING rolls. A heavy rain will only last one shift – after a shift of heavy rain, the weather automatically shifts to cloudy

I think you are saying limit visibility during a combat...meaning 10 m hexes. It just seems like this should be in the range combat section not the Travel section? I guess there is a section on page 29 tht gives "Heavy rain or wind –1" on top of that you limited to 20 hexes of vision?

cheeplives

Mon 26 Apr 2021, 20:42

Page 139 Clarification
Maybe it is just me but I am trying to understand the passage below...I am assuming you are talking about 10k hexes since this in the travel section (which seems weird)? or are these 10 m hexes during combat (would make more sense) ?

1. FAIR WEATHER: Maximum visibility in darkness is 10 hexes (15 with strong moonlight).
2. CLOUDY: Cloud cover reduces visibility during the dark shifts of the day to 5 hexes.
3. HEAVY RAIN/SNOW: Limits visibility to 20 hexes in the daytime and 5 hexes at night. Gives a –1 modifier to all ranged attacks. Requires a STAMINA check for marching
(below) and gives a –2 modifier to DRIVING rolls. A heavy rain will only last one shift – after a shift of heavy rain, the weather automatically shifts to cloudy

I think you are saying limit visibility during a combat...meaning 10 m hexes. It just seems like this should be in the range combat section not the Travel section? I guess there is a section on page 29 tht gives "Heavy rain or wind –1" on top of that you limited to 20 hexes of vision?
I read this section as outlining the effect of Weather/Darkness on travel hexes. If the Weather is Fair, and it is nighttime, you can see 10 Travel Hexes at night (15 with a full moon). If it's cloudy, the visibility at night goes to five 10km hexes at night. And with Heavy Rain/Snow, you can see 20 Travel hexes during daylight and 5 Travel hexes at night.

It does beg the question what standard Travel visibility is that these are modifying... I don't immediately know where that nugget is hidden. Maybe it's the Encounter Distance (in Hexes) on the Terrain Type chart? Anyone?