welsh

Re: Beta Feedback - Player's Manual Chapter 6 Travel

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 02:57

I read this section as outlining the effect of Weather/Darkness on travel hexes. If the Weather is Fair, and it is nighttime, you can see 10 Travel Hexes at night (15 with a full moon).
Thats ... 100 km of visibility on a clear night, 150 km with a full moon. I assume you meant to type combat hexes!

Kind of agree this belongs in combat and not travel, but it does affect non-combat encounters also.

omnipus

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 04:25

Sweden might be different, but the topography of Poland being what it is (mostly flat/gently rolling hills) I'm hard-pressed to think of many situations where you could possibly see more than 10km. If you managed to climb a radio tower, I suppose.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

cheeplives

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 05:01

I read this section as outlining the effect of Weather/Darkness on travel hexes. If the Weather is Fair, and it is nighttime, you can see 10 Travel Hexes at night (15 with a full moon).
Thats ... 100 km of visibility on a clear night, 150 km with a full moon. I assume you meant to type combat hexes!

Kind of agree this belongs in combat and not travel, but it does affect non-combat encounters also.
I'm just stating what I'm interpreting from page 139. It does say "ranged combat", so I missed that, so those would be combat hexes, It really belongs in both and clarifications need to be made as to what types of hexes those numbers apply to and how those affect travel spotting distances. Also, I'm a bit bothered by the roll for weather each shift after your game starts. I'm not sure if I want to track that level of minutiae... that's great if someone is keeping a travelogue of each shift's weather, but seems like there should be some kind of weather table roll or something? Dunno.

In the end, the Weather section on page 139 needs to be re-located to the Combat section. A new Weather section should be written here in the Travel section describing how weather affects spotting distances in Travel hexes and possibly a slightly less cumbersome weather generation system.

omnipus

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 08:11

Personally, I check weather only once per day (and use software to do that!), unless there's some good reason (such as a player asking) that the weather might change.

There is a LOT to track in this game, shift-to-shift, and I don't think you'd get very much done if you did all of them religiously.

welsh

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 16:25

One solution, given that the system tends to make weather fairly static, is to roll up (or otherwise determine) the weather for several days in advance, & just note it as something like "day 2, overcast, drizzle in the afternoon."

I've always found weather tables tend to give silly results at times & it's much easier to simply work from that kind of "forecast," giving you the flavour of the weather without having to consult dice or tables.

The system as written for weather is good: the die roll is very simple, weather tends to be static & not rapidly changing, you're unlikely to get odd results. From the standpoint of the purpose of this thread, I don't think there's any real error here that cries out to be changed.

Fenhorn

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 16:34

One solution, given that the system tends to make weather fairly static, is to roll up (or otherwise determine) the weather for several days in advance, & just note it as something like "day 2, overcast, drizzle in the afternoon."

I've always found weather tables tend to give silly results at times & it's much easier to simply work from that kind of "forecast," giving you the flavour of the weather without having to consult dice or tables.

The system as written for weather is good: the die roll is very simple, weather tends to be static & not rapidly changing, you're unlikely to get odd results. From the standpoint of the purpose of this thread, I don't think there's any real error here that cries out to be changed.
When I played HârnMaster, I prepped the weather for one month (30 days, 6 watches each day) in advance. My little GM calendar with the weather (and notes) was also handy to have to keep track of days and watches overall. It doesn't take that much of time to prep that.

Moderator Message: And before this goes any further, lets stop this discussion in this feedback thread. Technically I could lift out this discussion part of people so wants to continue this debate. (bad me, bad me, regarding forgetting this was a feedback thread).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

omnipus

Tue 27 Apr 2021, 20:49

If you wanted to be really cool, and have realistic weather patterns, you could pull the historical weather data for any random year and then just match the days or even times, if you want to get crazy with it.

This sort of data is accessible from a variety of aviation sites but also elsewhere. Of course you'd lose some of your freedom to cue up dramatic results on demand, but you could also mix and match.

Moderator Message: ... and there, please let this thread be a feedback thread and not a discussion thread.