Marco Rafalà

Re: Beta Feedback - Referee's Manual Chapter 1 The World at War

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 14:25

Unless I missed it, the timeline doesn't mention when gasoline became scarce and people/military started converting vehicles to run on alcohol. Apologies if this is mentioned elsewhere in the background material and I missed it.

Angelus1753

Fri 23 Apr 2021, 15:07

I've moved my post regarding the order of battle here:
Beta Feedback - Referee's Manual - Order Of Battle

But my trigger was that the OOB mentions a Netherlands I. Corps
1. It would be 'Dutch I. Corps'
2. There is no such thing as a Dutch Corps
3. The Dutch divisions (I mention them in my post) should be part of the DE/NL I. Corps
4. The 23rd Fallschirmjager does not exist, this should be the 25th Fallschirmjager.
4. A number of German divisions don't exist or are not part of the I. Corps; If they've moved command - perhaps. But the 25th
was converted into a new command leading the Army's special forces, known as the Kommando Spezialkräfte.
in 1996 according to Wikipedia.

Ursus Maior

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 01:33

3. The Dutch divisions (I mention them in my post) should be part of the DE/NL I. Corps
It should actually be "1 (German/Netherlands) Corps HQ" or "1 (GE/NL) Corps"
4. A number of German divisions don't exist or are not part of the I. Corps; If they've moved command - perhaps. But the 25th
was converted into a new command leading the Army's special forces, known as the Kommando Spezialkräfte.
in 1996 according to Wikipedia.
The KSK was only raised from various other forces in 1996, yes, starting with very few troops. So it's not even clear it would have been available in a WW3 setting. The first missions did not come before KFOR (which started in 1998, but the missions probably did not start before 1999) and ISAF (2001 and beyond).
liber & infractus

VoidLegs

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 02:31

In the chapter 1 section on the table of contents it lists the entry for "Germany" before the "Other Countries" header.

Marco Rafalà

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 13:20

Typo on page 11:

There should be an "a" between "as" and "whole" in this sentence:

The population as whole does not want to see any large units, though they approach smaller groups on a case-by-case basis.

Corrected:

The population as a whole does not want to see any large units, though they approach smaller groups on a case-by-case basis.

Marco Rafalà

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 13:33

Typo on page 19 in the THE MYSTERY OF GOTLAND box there is missing punctuation and an indent in the middle of this sentence:

According to some rumors, the island was ignored by the Soviets
others say that there was a Soviet landing that might have been defeated.

It looks like there should be an em dash between “Soviets” and “others” like this:

According to some rumors, the island was ignored by the Soviets – others say that there was a Soviet landing that might have been defeated.

Marco Rafalà

Sat 24 Apr 2021, 13:47

Page 22 — The final paragraph under the NEW SÁPMI heading doesn’t belong here as it has nothing to do with the Sami people. The transition to this paragraph was jarring to read. There should be some kind of a divider or separate header or something for this new information. I understand there may not be space for that on the page but hopefully the layout folks can think of something.

NEW SÁPMI
The nomadic Sami indigenous people, that have been herding reindeer in northern Scandinavia for millennia, survived the first winter in good shape. Those of them that still herded reindeer avoided starvation. Now, armed to the teeth with weapons looted from the wreckage of the Soviet invasion, the Sami once again rule in northern, inland Scandinavia.

Poland and Sweden are the main settings of this game, but you can certainly set your campaign elsewhere – why not in your home country? Below, brief descriptions follow for a few major countries in the year 2000.

GanymedeGraves

Sun 25 Apr 2021, 17:50

Capturing all my feedback on this chapter here.
  • On page 6 in the pull-quote titled "For The Referee's Eyes Only" in the fifth line, the word factions is hyphenated "fac-tions." Presumably there was once a line break there?
  • On page 12 in the box titled "NATO FORCES," the acronym BAOR is used, but I couldn't find anywhere that acronym was defined. (I know it stands for British Army of the Rhine, but many readers will not.)
  • On page 15 in the first line of the left column, "in the fall 1999" should be "in the fall of 1999."

Ursus Maior

Sun 25 Apr 2021, 21:52

On page 23, first paragraph it's written: "[...] shortly before the T-80s of the 1st Guards Tank Army rolled across the Czech-German border, [...]"

The second paragraph of the same page ends with: "Interceptors of the Luftwaffe had their first duels with Soviet fighter-bombers during the first air raids on NATO installations and participated in retaliatory strikes against Soviet targets in Poland, Czechoslovakia and the occupied Baltic states later that year and in early 1998."

Issue: Correct the denomination to either "Czechoslovakian-German border" or have NATO retaliate against "Soviet targets in Poland, the Czech Republic [, Slovakia] and the occupied Baltic states".

In history as we know it, Czechoslovakia (actually the Czech and Slovak Federative Republic) split into the two sovereign states of the Czech Republic and Slovakia in January 1993, following the passing of Constitution Act 541 by the Federal Assembly of the ČSFR, which itself had only formed out of the former ČSSR in 1990.

In my opinion, the editors should decide, whether the ČSFR (or even the ČSSR) dissolved in their T2k timeline or the country remained unified. Since most of the timeline remains as known history until 1994/1995, a split is likely. In this case, all mentioning of Czechoslovakia and Czechoslovakian should be deleted and the names of the actual existing countries be used.
liber & infractus

omnipus

Sun 25 Apr 2021, 23:33

The orders of battle, and map of unit dispositions, p12-14... the condition amplifiers for almost all units are red ("destroyed"). This makes sense for units such as the 5th ID, but definitely doesn't seem correct for units such as the Sov 79th Guards TD, German 1st Panzer, etc.