Domingo
Topic Author

Interpreter Archetype

Sat 20 Mar 2021, 18:11

DoD contracted interpreters (terps) are a common sight on modern battlefields, and the language skills would be a pretty useful addition to any group. Some are locals, and others are American citizens hired to return to their ancestral homes. While the civilian or kid archetypes could work for this type of PC, I felt that the key skills just weren't quite right. I made a custom archetype for a terp.

KEY ATTRIBUTE: EMP
KEY SKILLS: Mobility, Recon, Persuasion
COOLNESS UNDER FIRE: D
RECOMMENDED SPECIALTIES: Historian, Linguist, Navigator
GEAR:
  • Any Pistol (recovered from the battlefield)
  • D6 reloads for your weapon
  • Flak jacket and helmet
  • Personal medkit
  • Dictionary in any language
  • Megaphone (Gives a +1 modifier to PERSUASION rolls when interacting with crowds. Weight: ½. Price 50)
  • D6 field rations
  • D6 rations of clean water
ADDITIONAL LANGUAGES: Language translation is the main purpose of an interpreter. Therefore, Terps know their native language (Polish or Swedish) and English. Additional languages are learned as specialties, as normal.

Formatted pdf version
Terp.pdf
(240.63 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
I think it's balanced and captures the feel of the game well enough. Feedback appreciated.

((Edited post with the key points for those that don't want to download the attachment and corrected a typo on the attachment as well.))

Black Vulmea

Re: Interpreter Archetype

Thu 06 May 2021, 02:52

DoD contracted interpreters (terps) are a common sight on modern battlefields . . .

Wow, I was just thinking about this as a 'buddy' character for a Special Forces operator.

Looks good on first pass - if anything jumps out at me, I'll let you know. Great idea.