pelorus
Topic Author

🙋🏻‍♂️ [ALPHA] I have a question....

Sun 07 Mar 2021, 14:59

Finally got round to reading the Alpha books and I have some questions.

The original books were written in the 80s and 90s describing something in the future. We're looking at something and describing a "past" that didn't quite happen. There are things that were in 1996 which the original authors in 1984 and 1990 couldn't possibly have foreseen (such as the start of mobiles) and as someone working in tech (and the army post 1990), it's interesting to compare. What do you think? Internets are notoriously resilient and I could have cadged together an internet over cable or radio in 1998.

I really hope they change what happened in the UK as the original was written like someone had never been there. For instance, it would be post Good Friday Agreement here in Northern Ireland but it's definitely going to change things as we never needed a government, we only needed an economy and that economy needed imports. A lot of imports. Easy to see how this region would descend into tribal violence quickly when there's not enough food on the table.

The focus on military backgrounds really is a holdover from the original - where it was wargamers writing an RPG and I like that aspect but now...it seems like the main focus should definitely be on civilians. Certainly adding a modern perspective on it.

Operation Reset doesn't make a pick of sense. Maybe someone can explain why a last ditch offensive that wipes out our troops is a good thing?

I asked in another thread about using the rules of Things from the Flood for a game but Twilight 2000 might do the trick. I'd not be in a vanilla Poland campaign and I don't get all hot and bothered over the names of mechanised units. For me, it's just the Army. I don't need to know the actual name. I just don't have the interest. I'm very interested in variant campaigns which would change the narrative completely ( things like zombies, aliens, hope....). I'd love to work on variant stuff. What's the licensing for that?

For a slightly different campaign, I'll probably allow for higher end play (if you have d12, d12 and you get a +1, you get an extra d6).

Moderator Action: Added the 'Alpha'-tag so it is more visible what version of the rules this is all about.
--
Have a look at "Nor Gloom Of Night" for T2K4 (A post-apocalyptic setting of hope)
CZTERY - 4 Mystery Scenarios for T2K4
Twilight Tangents - psychics and zombies for T2k4
http://www.lategaming.com/buy-the-books/