CherryC0p
Topic Author

Which Snipers/Hunting Rifles come with Telescopic Sights?

Thu 28 Jan 2021, 03:29

Title. It's not listed which guns come with telescopic sights.

Is it assumed that a Sniper/Hunting Rifle comes with automatically?

The M1894 doesn't have one in the art but all the others do, so is it assumed that if it has it in the card art then it comes with?
I do this in real life for fun on the weekends. #SurviveOmega #DoMoreWithLess

king_tim

Re: Which Snipers/Hunting Rifles come with Telescopic Sights?

Thu 28 Jan 2021, 22:43

This confused me as well. Seems odd that you have to examine the artwork to try to work out whether a given weapon has a telescopic sight or not.

AEB

Fri 29 Jan 2021, 04:39

Sights and scopes can be added to a wide range of weapons as long as that weapon is fitted with the right rails and furniture. Hence you can have a reflex or peep scope, quick change twin mag and flash light attached to your M4.

Scopes can be treated as a separate piece of kit, or the Referee can say that sniping and hunting rifles come with a appropriate scope.

paladin2019

Fri 29 Jan 2021, 09:10

The problem with the former philosophy is availability. While you can start with a sniper rifle, it won't have a scope because you can't afford one. If that's how broken down you want the PCs that works.

omnipus

Sun 31 Jan 2021, 01:27

Sights and scopes can be added to a wide range of weapons as long as that weapon is fitted with the right rails and furniture. Hence you can have a reflex or peep scope, quick change twin mag and flash light attached to your M4.

Scopes can be treated as a separate piece of kit, or the Referee can say that sniping and hunting rifles come with a appropriate scope.
Very little of that stuff was available or common in the time frame of the game. The US adopted its first Picatinny weapons in the late 90s, and even so very very few of them were issued with any sort of railed accessories until years later, 2005 or so is probably a good benchmark. Prior to that you'd have the odd SF or SWAT unit that might be running flashlight mounts or whatever. Reflex sights existed but almost no one had them. None of that stuff was ubiquitous like it is today.

Of course if you just wanna say "yeah it fits, you're all good" then that's fine. As is motivating a character to go on a side quest to find rings for that nice new scope he found but can't use. Up to your group.
Author, Central Poland Sourcebook -- now available on DriveThruRPG

TIgernan

Wed 10 Mar 2021, 02:35

I served in the Marine Corps from 1990 to 1999... and while rail systems were not common place there were several ways to mount optics onto ALL weapon systems at the time. Can't speak for the Army or any other foreign military. But any optic; from IR, night vision or basic scope, could be placed on ANY weapon at the time. Granted most the time that meant an armorer had to do the mounting. Then you had to take the weapon system to battle sight zero said weapon with the optic, but anything was possible. Might be rare, but was definitely possible.

The big thing during that time frame was availability of optics and what we called "command authorization". Basically, even if you could find an optic, you had to get the Battalion Commanding Officer to say, yes you could put it on your issued weapon. You couldn't just ask your armorer to slap something onto your rifle, just wasn't going to happen. Now, granted the authorization was more likely the further you strayed from support units... basically, support units it would be extremely rare to be allowed an optic, infantry more likely, and spec ops units almost could always do what they wanted when it came to having optics added to a rifle.

What that boils down to as far as game play and availability... the GM feeling that something should be allowed or not. I would leaned toward Sniper rifles coming with something decent, mainly a because a sniper rifle is just not a sniper rifle without one. LOL Hunting rifles not so much. And then there is the whole fact that even if you acquired an actual sniper rifle with a scope, doesn't mean the scope is sighted to your firing style, you need to zero it to actually have high first round hit chances.

Just my two cents.
~ Not as lean, or as mean, but always a Marine
~ Go with God, but make him walk point.

paladin2019

Wed 10 Mar 2021, 03:01

Yeah, the US Army of the time was far less stringent on stuff, and far less dependent on armorers to mount them. Probably because arms rooms in the US Army are company level operations and specially trained armorers don't live there. Armorer is nominally an additional duty for the company supply clerk but usually a line platoon has to give up a guy to do it and that Joe or Jane goes to local school to get certified on their paperwork requirements, legal responsibilities, and what they are and are not trained to do to the weapons. You want to slap a Colt 3-9x40 Delta scope on your M16 or tape a Maglight to the handguard, no one's going to say much as long as it's off before the rifle goes back in the arms room. About the time the Twilight War starts in this timeline is when I got an M4 and everyone got M68s. But I wouldn't count on the battery supply holding out and Aimpoint didn't have their phenomenal battery life figured out with CompM2 that were the M68s of the time.

As for which rifles come with scopes, I think you'll have to either wing it with the illos or assume none of them do (or still have functioning scopes).

AEB

Wed 10 Mar 2021, 07:16

Having been a hunter back in the 80s/90s here in Australia pretty much every hunting rifle came with a scope - usually a fixed x4 or x6 - and there were a large number of cheap brands on the market.

My two best rifles had Zeiss scopes which I think were manufactured in East Germany at the time. So I had a Finnish rifles with a East German scopes. Straight optics are pretty tough and do not require batteries.

While not every weapon would have a scope proper sniper weapons should have something, but it of course is down to the referee.