tekrat04

Re: Recommended books for inspiration?

Sun 26 Sep 2021, 03:40

War Day by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka.

A journey across the United States five years after a limited nuclear war.

Jonesy64

Fri 08 Oct 2021, 05:33

Evildrsmith

Mon 25 Oct 2021, 12:40

Not really a 'recommendation' since it's only just out and I haven't read it, but this has just last week been published, and may be of interest:
BATTLEGROUP!
The Lessons of the Unfought Battles of the Cold War.

Published by Helion.

From the 'blurb':
"Battlegroup! investigates the unfought land battles of the Cold War on the Central Front. It focusses on the 1980s. It looks solely at high-intensity, conventional warfare; largely from NATO's perspective. It concentrates on the lower tactical levels: from company to brigade, or perhaps division. It considers the tactics, organisation and equipment and of the American, British, West German, French and Soviet armies."

ottarrus

Mon 25 Oct 2021, 13:18

Another three or four books that don't get mentioned a lot:

a] 'Tomorrow When the War Began' by Marsden. It's a young adult series [seven books, iirc] about teenagers surviving the fall of civilization as an Australian /American confrontation with China gets out of hand. It's rather like the 'This War of Mine' game in that it centers on civilians surviving catastrophe mostly without guns. If you've seen the T2K4 PDF's, think 'Kasia'... If you want to see Hollywood 'beautiful people' try and act like they're frightened, there's a TV series of it from 2010. I personally thought it was overwrought and overly melodramatic, but a lot of people like it. It might be worth a look.

b] 'Chieftains' by Forrest-Webb. Essentially the British 'Team Yankee' and an EXCELLENT guide to the UK viewpoint.

c] and d] Two books by the same author 'Armor Attacks' and 'Infantry Attacks' by John Antal. These are essentially a 'choose your own path adventure' on the command of a tank or infantry platoon respectively. They're a modern update of Swinton's Boer War classic, 'The Battle of Duffer's Drift'. The books play out like an RPG solo adventure, where you make decisions on everything from operations orders, to personnel decisions, to maintenance, to combat decisions. These were written in 1991, making them PERFECT primers on US Army doctrine leading up to The War That Never Happened.
Last edited by ottarrus on Wed 27 Oct 2021, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

ottarrus

Mon 25 Oct 2021, 13:19

Not really a 'recommendation' since it's only just out and I haven't read it, but this has just last week been published, and may be of interest:
BATTLEGROUP!
The Lessons of the Unfought Battles of the Cold War.

Published by Helion.

From the 'blurb':
"Battlegroup! investigates the unfought land battles of the Cold War on the Central Front. It focusses on the 1980s. It looks solely at high-intensity, conventional warfare; largely from NATO's perspective. It concentrates on the lower tactical levels: from company to brigade, or perhaps division. It considers the tactics, organisation and equipment and of the American, British, West German, French and Soviet armies."
I may have to hunt that down, kill it and bring it back to the cave. That could be interesting.

Solitare99

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 11:10

I have to say I picked up this series on Amazon, Armageddon's Song by Andy Farman

A good 5 volume series which is not just from the USA point of view for WW3. Reads very much like RSR but a little less on the full-blown tech thriller.
The storyline is a good one and I like it as it focuses on the British and what they would be doing (Politically and so forth)

baldrick0712

Wed 27 Oct 2021, 15:19

Not a book but a computer game. I highly recommend "Combat Mission: Cold War". It's a highly realistic mechanised warfare tactical sim set in Germany around 1980 when the Soviets invade and includes a mission designer editor to make your own scenarios. A little earlier than the year 2000 setting of T2K4 but still not far off, and a lot of older weapon systems would still be in use in 2000. If nothing else it would be useful for screenshots to use as handouts to the players.

Nice Promo Vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahixU5SI9vU

capnhayes

Thu 28 Mar 2024, 07:12

I recommend "The Last Ship" link here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ship_(novel)
The TNT television series was based on the book.